HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2013, 08:53 PM
Joined Dec 2006
147 Posts
Discussion
A very small galleon

Ahoy there, folks! I am nearing completion on my latest project, the galleon Santa Maria in 1:144 scale. It began as a simple laser-cut shelf kit for a skeleton ship, but the project very quickly ballooned in its ambition. This little ship now sports sail control with a single servo, and a second servo for the rudder. Unlike my previous ships, I chose to add as much scale rigging as I could. I know that the rigging (and sail plan, and hull, and many other things) will make this ship handle poorly on the water, but I wanted to see how much strength the rigging could add. The result is some incredibly strong masts, even though I used sewing thread for all the rigging.

As I near the end of this project, I must decide what sort of keel I want to add. I have extremely little weight to work with, given that the largest ballast I can use is a AA battery. Any advice from fellow micro sailors on the subject of keels would be much appreciated.
kotori87 is offline Find More Posts by kotori87
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2013, 02:45 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kotori87 View Post
....As I near the end of this project, I must decide what sort of keel I want to add. I have extremely little weight to work with, given that the largest ballast I can use is a AA battery. Any advice from fellow micro sailors on the subject of keels would be much appreciated.
A single AA battery would weigh around 30 grams I would estimate. You can use a very light keel weight if you are prepared to add a lightweight, long (deep) keel fin with a very dense (lead) bulb on the bottom. Maybe the fin would be the length of the boat roughly, a bit like a footy.... The longer the fin, the less weight you need for the same righting moment.....

Hope this helps
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Aug 09, 2013, 09:16 AM
Square-rigger
Klatovy, Czech Republic
Joined Mar 2004
3,338 Posts
Nice micro sailer !

whats her displacement ? did
My Micro sailships both had around 350g displacement so i was able to use a 100g keel on both. My Micro footy worked very well with only a 50g keel weight
meatbomber is offline Find More Posts by meatbomber