Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 10, 2013, 12:07 PM
United States, CA, Livermore
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
start think about graduating to the 450.

I never worried too much about landing on the pad. I would take off from a 2foot square piece of foam and then just land in the grass. If you hit the edge of a pad with the blades, its worse than just landing in grass.

Last year I built an 8x8 heli pad at my club. It was fine for take offs but most people didn't try to land on it. It was Plywood on a 2x4 frame so the edges could be deadly. This year I did it right. We laid a gravel base and covered it with 17x17 petro mat. Even I can land on that sucker and there are no hard edges.

Have fun and stay away from the trees
rhodesengr is offline Find More Posts by rhodesengr
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2013, 03:36 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
873 Posts
Not that good yet...lol Going to put in more time with the MCPx before attempting the 450. I still crash quite a bit. I'm doing good but not THAT good.
When I can go and put 5 batteries through it without crashing I will break out the 450 but not until then...
I love the way this MCPx just eats the wind up. It does surprisingly well in the wind. I never thought it would do so good in the wind but it does.
Not sure what the correct terminology is for this but yesterday I was doing circles about eye level but keeping the nose of the heli pointed away from the center of the circles with the tail pointed inward and then doing them with nose inward and tail pointing out if you know what I mean. Its getting better every time I fly...

This video is about where I'm at right now ( big circles or figure eights with banked turns) coupled with a few crashes here and there when I get to far away and cant see. No simulator and about a total of maybe 20 flights..
3:00 through 7:00 without the loops like he is doing towards the end....not bad heh ?

Learn to fly 6 channel 450 helicopter Watch my thumbs (8 min 33 sec)
Yort69 is offline Find More Posts by Yort69
Last edited by Yort69; Aug 10, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
circles with the nose or tail pointed in are called "funnels". They can be done inverted too, juts not by me.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 05:55 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhodesengr View Post
circles with the nose or tail pointed in are called "funnels". They can be done inverted too, juts not by me.
Can you flip one over yet ? I'm tempted to try it but I feel its still to soon...
Old Aug 11, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yort69 View Post
Can you flip one over yet ? I'm tempted to try it but I feel its still to soon...
yes but this is where you will start to run into the mCPx's limitations with tail blow out. So one thing you should know about me is that I tend to be better with the equipment than with actual flying. This has been true in a lot of activities. So I still don't do circles very well but I can flip and roll all day.

Flips and rolls take less control coordination than circles. They don't need any rudder at all. They seem more difficult but they are really not. Practice on the sim a little and the go up a little higher than usual, push the stick forward and back off on the pitch. I did front flips first because the heli is moving away from me. You can also do two half flips. Flip forward to inverted, hold for a second and they flip forward again.

However, like I said, if you flip the mCPx and especially if there is any wind, you will most likely run into tail blow out. The mCPx really has two issues: tail is not strong and fast enough plus the cyclic can bind (run out of range). When you shove the stick forward to flip, the servos have no range left to maintain control. If it starts tumbling out of control, juts hit TH. Side rolls and a little better. You will see that the 450 is WAY better for flips and rolls. They tail is much stronger and it will behave as expected.

Still, its a rush to do your first flip and even if the mCPx tumbles, the cost to try is minimal. Best chance for success is very low wind.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:58 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
873 Posts
The bearing popped out of my swash plate a couple of times this morning. It was very loose so I tried some loctite an that didn't work well . So then I tried a very thin bit of CA and damn if I didn't get it in the bearing Ruined it !
So, I ordered another one along with the extended tail boom and motor, some white skids and some Lynx blue blades and a couple of blue KBDD Extreme tail rotor blades that look a little more aggressive. Hopefully this will help limit tail blowout.... btw, I don't have a simulator yet but I guess I should probably get one. I'm leaning towards the Phoenix. Does the Phoenix Pro 4.0 have the MCPX and 450X on it ?

I should not have ordered a extra canopy and tail fin when I purchased the MCPX as I would have liked to purchase a aftermarket body that I like much better.
I figured those would be the first things to break but so far I haven't broke anything yet. Its probably going to take a while to go through two stock canopies. They hold up very good..
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:41 PM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
If the bearing popped out you probably cracked the swash. Its hard to see but there is a seam at the back and that's where they tend to crack. One of the metal swashes is not a bad idea. I am more of a fan of the metal swashes than the metal heads.

You just tend to end up with parts you don't need. I had to do a repair on my 700 having cracked a side frame. I bought a new frame piece ($60) but ended up repairing the old one. Just part of the hobby.

You really need to get a sim to work out new manuevers. Phoenix and Realflight are the leading ones. Phoenix will work with DX series TX's and others with adapters. There are some free ones around. I suggest you not get caught up in which models they have. Phoenix does have the mCPx and the 450x but its better to just pick a large 700 and use that. The mCPx model does not really act like a real mCPx so why bother? The sim mCPx will piro like a top and not take off sideways. I am sure you have found the mCPx is not so easy to piro. On the other hand, the bigger real models tend to be easier to fly than the sim versions.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:48 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
873 Posts
Quote:
If the bearing popped out you probably cracked the swash. Its hard to see but there is a seam at the back and that's where they tend to crack. One of the metal swashes is not a bad idea. I am more of a fan of the metal swashes than the metal heads.

You just tend to end up with parts you don't need. I had to do a repair on my 700 having cracked a side frame. I bought a new frame piece ($60) but ended up repairing the old one. Just part of the hobby.

You really need to get a sim to work out new manuevers. Phoenix and Realflight are the leading ones. Phoenix will work with DX series TX's and others with adapters. There are some free ones around. I suggest you not get caught up in which models they have. Phoenix does have the mCPx and the 450x but its better to just pick a large 700 and use that. The mCPx model does not really act like a real mCPx so why bother? The sim mCPx will piro like a top and not take off sideways. I am sure you have found the mCPx is not so easy to piro. On the other hand, the bigger real models tend to be easier to fly than the sim versions.
Not sure. If I knew what a piro was I might could answer you ?
Is that where you go full left or right rudder and spin it around ? If so you are correct. Almost every time I do that it wants to go sideways.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 06:40 PM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Not sure. If I knew what a piro was I might could answer you ?
Is that where you go full left or right rudder and spin it around ? If so you are correct. Almost every time I do that it wants to go sideways.
well it does not have to be full rudder but yes, a spin on the vertical axis is a "piro" short for pirouette. The mCPx takes off laterally because it doe not have a feature called "piro compensation". The BeastX controller has piro compensation and will not take off on you so your 450X will piro much easier.

Here is a write up I did on the subject
http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=506629
Old Aug 19, 2013, 05:16 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
873 Posts
Well, I've been enjoying the little MCPx so much that I decided to add its big brother to the collection. It just showed up today so I haven't been able to fly it yet . Need to set up my transmitter and I will probably fly it tomorrow ! Hope everything is right with it !...
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
sounds like you are making great progress
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:00 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
873 Posts
Quote:
sounds like you are making great progress
Yup, things are coming along nicely ! I can now go through 5 batteries without a crash so long as I stay close , keep it simple and don't try anything drastic.
My main problem is the little MCPx disappears on me fast and I get disoriented because I cant see it well so i just hit the TH and let it fall. Going to fire up the BL tomorrow or the next day just to make sure it works then I need to power up the 450x to make sure everything works on it as well.
I do have a question on the 450x. Do I need to take the motor apart and put Loctite on the bearings or has Blade taken care of that problem already? Thanks
Old Aug 19, 2013, 08:17 PM
Joined Jan 2012
903 Posts
Quote:
Do I need to take the motor apart and put Loctite on the bearings or has Blade taken care of that problem already? Thanks
I honestly don't know. I only had a my 450X for a short time and never had a problem with it. I am aware of some issue though as you mention. My best advice would be to check in with the 450X forum on HF.
Old Aug 19, 2013, 11:38 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
873 Posts
Quote:
I honestly don't know. I only had a my 450X for a short time and never had a problem with it. I am aware of some issue though as you mention. My best advice would be to check in with the 450X forum on HF.
Thanks and will do!....I forgot to mention I can now land on my 3x3 foam pad...
Big deal, I know... Is for me anyway.. lol
Old Aug 24, 2013, 02:25 PM
TEXAS
Joined Oct 2010
873 Posts
WOW, is all I can say about the MCPx BL ! At least 3 times the power of the MCPx...At Least ! This little Heli is sick sick sick !!! Unbelievable.

Can anybody recommend a good blade balancer for the Micro Heli's ? I spooled it up in my hand and I can feel a definite vibration going on. Not very bad but its there. I need something to balance these little blades and cant seem to find one for Micro's...
Also what is the best metal swash for this Heli ?
I purchased this Microheli Advanced Blue frame last night and I need the swash plate to go with it but I don't know which one to get...Thanks

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microheli-Bl...E:L:OU:US:3160