Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 04, 2012, 11:48 AM
lzr
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Discussion
Turnigy 9x with Frsky fails range test

I just bought the empty Turnigy 9x with the frsky plug and play model. Today when I tried it for the first time I noticed that I can only get 50 meter before I get the range beep. At 100 meter away I have no radio connection at all. I tried a range test and i got no connection 2 meters away (it beeps like crazy)

Could it be that the receiver is broken or am I missing something? I have not flashed anything. I am using 1.3 Ghz VTX but it has a low pass filter on it. I have used a Spektruk AR6210 on the same quad before and could get about 700 meter.

This is the stuff I bought:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Firmware_.html
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Module_RX.html
lzr is offline Find More Posts by lzr
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:22 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,212 Posts
I would suspect rather transmitter, there is evidence of indoor flights in large sport arenas of planes with receivers without any antenna.
Check Tx antenna if properly screwed, and if the central pin still exists, It happen to broke if not right aligned with the hole. Try replace antenna with one from a wireless router.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa
Last edited by renatoa; Nov 05, 2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: typo
Old Nov 04, 2012, 01:51 PM
lzr
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Thanks for answering! I tried with the wifi antenna and it didn't help. I think I'll just order another one and see if they can credit the first one if I send it back
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:34 PM
lzr
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Got a new receiver and transmitter today. Exactly the same problem. 4 meter away with range check then it turns off and beeps like crazy. I guess something is wrong with the Turnigy 9x?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:59 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,212 Posts
Now it's obvious... not radio, but module, and most probably antenna connection.
I would open module and check antenna to pcb cable.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:04 PM
lzr
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Hmm, but I have two TX modules and two RX modules. No matter which combination I try they all fail
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:07 PM
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
14,212 Posts
Huh...
Tested in the same location always? Possible perturbing factor around ?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:25 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lzr View Post
Hmm, but I have two TX modules and two RX modules. No matter which combination I try they all fail
Okay, it sure does sound like it's the 9x that's the problem. You did trim down the raised plastic around the pins in the module bay before inserting the DJT right?

And also just to cover all the bases. Are you running stock or modified firmware and what about the transmitter battery stock or Lipo/LiFe?

Cheers,
Geoff
gbmarsh is offline Find More Posts by gbmarsh
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:37 PM
lzr
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Two different locations. Both with the same result. I have been at the same places with the DX6i / AR6210 and never had any issues.

I opened one of the up and it looks like the antenna is fastened properly.

I did trim down the plastic before inserting the module, had to open the 9x to do that. Don't think I damaged something but who knows.

I am running stock firmware using standard 1.5 v AA batteries

Perhaps it's really sensitive to the 1.3 Ghz 300 mw VTX (even though it has a LP filter). It's a bit difficult to remove this since it's using the same battery
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:46 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
817 Posts
Quote:
Two different locations. Both with the same result. I have been at the same places with the DX6i / AR6210 and never had any issues.

I opened one of the up and it looks like the antenna is fastened properly.

I did trim down the plastic before inserting the module, had to open the 9x to do that. Don't think I damaged something but who knows.

I am running stock firmware using standard 1.5 v AA batteries

Perhaps it's really sensitive to the 1.3 Ghz 300 mw VTX (even though it has a LP filter). It's a bit difficult to remove this since it's using the same battery
Oh my, so you haven't range tested without the VTx
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:49 PM
DONT PANIC! :)
United States, FL, Lehigh Acres
Joined Jan 2012
1,820 Posts
hi i dint have time to read what this thread was about. i just know the frsky module is AMAZING! no issues and goes farrr! just sayin
out of stock is offline Find More Posts by out of stock
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:59 PM
lzr
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Ok, I tried remove the VTX and the range test inside is no problem for 10 meters. Seems like it was the VTX after all. Exactly the same setup with AR6210 gives me 700 meters, this D8R-II receiver seems to be really crappy. It's at least 30 cm between the TX (with LP filter) and the receiver.

It's a small quad, there is no other place to put the receiver. Man do I wish I bought a Futaba now :/
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:11 PM
Wait...what?
Canada, BC, Abbotsford
Joined Sep 2010
817 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I tried remove the VTX and the range test inside is no problem for 10 meters. Seems like it was the VTX after all. Exactly the same setup with AR6210 gives me 700 meters, this D8R-II receiver seems to be really crappy. It's at least 30 cm between the TX (with LP filter) and the receiver.

It's a small quad, there is no other place to put the receiver. Man do I wish I bought a Futaba now :/

Yep you're right it's the crappy FrSky stuff, all the other people that use it for FPV just got lucky and you happened to get 2 crappy ones in a row I mean, it couldn't possibly be your set-up.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:21 PM
lzr
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Well now that I know it's the VTX I found a lot of posts from people having the same issues with 1.3 Ghz VTX.

I just think it's strange that everyone is promoting FrSky being so good for FPV and all and then you realize that Spektrum is actually a lot better.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 04:22 PM
lzr
Joined Apr 2012
50 Posts
Anyway thanks for taking the time and helping me. I will see if I can return / sell these FrSky and get myself a Futaba instead