Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by Mick Molloy, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 06:38 AM
Australia, NSW, Surry Hills
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Been very quiet the last few days... People must be hard at work!
BazDaddy is offline Find More Posts by BazDaddy
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2011, 01:00 AM
Australia, NSW, Surry Hills
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations for connecting your transmitter to your computer to use the fly by wire option built into APM and controlling through the ground station software?
BazDaddy is offline Find More Posts by BazDaddy
Old Aug 24, 2011, 05:22 PM
Australia, NSW, Bowral
Joined Mar 2007
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazDaddy View Post
Does anyone have any recommendations for connecting your transmitter to your computer to use the fly by wire option built into APM and controlling through the ground station software?
I have used this interface before:
http://www.customelectronics.co.uk/

Or you can build your own. Try googling fms serial interface
hutchcj is offline Find More Posts by hutchcj
Old Aug 25, 2011, 07:55 PM
MINE!
Australia, VIC, Point Cook
Joined Jul 2003
3,183 Posts
Reviewing UAV Outback Challenge 2011 High School Airborne Delivery reports and videos.

Mick
Mick Molloy is offline Find More Posts by Mick Molloy
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:03 AM
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
Does this mean we will get the results sooner rather than later?
tinybastian is offline Find More Posts by tinybastian
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:18 AM
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
Website Down?

Is the UAV Outback Challenge Website not working for some reason or is it just being updated?
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinybastian View Post
Is the UAV Outback Challenge Website not working for some reason or is it just being updated?
Yeah it'd be broken Beavis!
TeamSAR_2011 is offline Find More Posts by TeamSAR_2011
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:17 PM
MINE!
Joined Jul 2003
3,183 Posts
Quote:
Does this mean we will get the results sooner rather than later?
Results should be out early next week.

Mick
Old Aug 26, 2011, 06:19 PM
MINE!
Joined Jul 2003
3,183 Posts
Quote:
It appears to working now.

Mick
Old Aug 27, 2011, 11:32 PM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BazDaddy View Post
The 'Fly By Wire' modes in APM (ie. FBWA and FBWB) are not in fact related to whether you are using a normal RC transmitter or not. They were named before APM got the ability to fly without a transmitter, and the name refers to a mode where the attitude of the plane is directly proportional to your stick input, as opposed to control surfaces being proportional to stick input.

If you want to fly APM without a RC transmitter than you can do that in any flight mode (even 'MANUAL' mode). In the APM nomenclature this is referred to as flying with "RC override", named after the MAVLink packet that transmits the synthetic RC channel inputs to the plane.

To actually do this all you need is a ground station that can send the RC override packets. My python command line ground station (MAVProxy) can do that via keyboard commands, or you can use a joystick with the APM 'Mission Planner' ground station. I believe you can also do it with HK GCS, and perhaps with QGroundControl.

Cheers, Tridge
tridge is offline Find More Posts by tridge
Old Aug 28, 2011, 01:51 AM
Joined Dec 2010
28 Posts
hi Tridge,
I think what the original author was trying to get at here was connecting their TX to the PC and ground-station, and using the TX without actually transmitting anything, so it's electricaally just used as a "joystick" ( wth the benefit of familiarity) , and the ground-station and mavlink telemetry do all the heavy-lifting. This is also a good option for long-range manual control in the event that the TX range is significantly less than the telemetry system range.
Buzz.
davidbuzz is offline Find More Posts by davidbuzz
Old Aug 28, 2011, 06:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbuzz View Post
hi Tridge,
I think what the original author was trying to get at here was connecting their TX to the PC and ground-station, and using the TX without actually transmitting anything, so it's electricaally just used as a "joystick" ( wth the benefit of familiarity)
yep, should have read more carefully!

I have a trainer plug to USB adapter I got off ebay that I've tried to do this with, but I didn't find it reliable enough to use (at least under linux). I've been meaning to do some more work on the joystick driver to see if I can find the problem. We've also discussed using a local receiver with PPM output and plugging that into an arduino which would encode the result into MAVLink packets. We haven't tried building it yet, but it should work in theory
tridge is offline Find More Posts by tridge
Old Aug 28, 2011, 04:57 PM
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
Insurance for 2011

hi

Now that the teams for the 2011 Airborne Delivery have been announced, I was wondering what is happening with insurance?

A second question, now that the heat is off for a while, what is the process for being involved in the organisation of the state based competitions next year?

Thanks
Richard
Riverton and District High School
Old Aug 29, 2011, 06:25 AM
Joined Aug 2011
8 Posts
Airbourne Delivery Challenge

Hi Richard,

Can you please give me a ring? I would like to talk to you about accommodation up in Queensland.

Do any other teams have suggestions/ideas on accommodation in Ipswich/Calvert area?

Thanks,

Andrew
Dickson College
phone : 0449163692
DicksonUAV is offline Find More Posts by DicksonUAV
Old Aug 29, 2011, 07:49 AM
Mueller College
Queensland, Australia
Joined Oct 2005
62 Posts
Extra team member(s)

Greetings Organisers for the Airborne Delivery Challenge

Is it possible to include an extra team member that wasn't put on the team sheet submitted at D1? The new member is not a pilot nor mission manager, just a dogsbody to cart gear which will expedite the process of getting everything into position quickly once the team goes airside.

thanks
ab
anthonyATteamMUROC is offline Find More Posts by anthonyATteamMUROC
Closed Thread