Old Mar 04, 2015, 03:59 PM
Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,539 Posts
Build Log
Another KK Bandit for Electric and R/C

With apologies to Colonel Blink, but it is his fault anyway!

Having become absorbed in following Colonel Blink's Bandit build log and getting involved in the various discussions about required changes I find I just cannot resist building one too.

To explain a little further; the Bandit was one of my very favourite F/F sport power models 60 years ago, and my brother-in-law and I had a total of six, the last one being built in 1956. They were mostly powered by E.D. Bees or Frog 150, the latter engine producing quite a "hot" model with a pylon-like performance, and were, without exception, excellent performers.

I have had the plan for years and have always intended to build a radio/electric version, but something else has always got in the way. However, the second entry for the current Amplan build off (the Hummingbird) is finished so I have a few weeks with nothing on the bench, and watching the Colonel's model taking shape proved to be just too strong a temptation, so I found myself cutting bits out.

Not too many changes are envisaged and I will itemise these as I go along. Since the biggest area where thought is required is in fitting all the gear into the relatively slight fuselage, I decided to reverse my normal building sequence and start with this first. The sides are built as you can see, also in the photo are some of the other bits - all the wing ribs and some fuselage formers (yet to be laminated). As it is still a little chilly in the workshop most of the cutting out and the building of the fuselage sides took place on the kitchen table, which took me back as my mother's kitchen table was where all the previous six took shape all those years ago. I just wish I could move as fast and ache as little as I did then!

Thinking ahead I also found a suitable piece of wing art on the net, even better as it will be executable in tissue.
Sundancer is online now Find More Posts by Sundancer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2015, 04:56 PM
Find More Posts by brokenspar
The dog ate my clearance
Joined Jan 2004
1,242 Posts
Looks fun, SD and I like the Bandit logo. I have to wonder though, about the names in the Keil Kraft line: Outlaw, Bandit, Pirate. There must be a story there!
brokenspar is online now Find More Posts by brokenspar
Last edited by brokenspar; Mar 12, 2015 at 05:49 PM.
Old Mar 04, 2015, 06:25 PM
Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
3,045 Posts
SD, " ...the building of the fuselage sides took place on the kitchen table, which took me back as my mother's kitchen table..."
Lots of good ole memories. In the early-- 50's I can vaguely remember my mother helping me out with a small balsa model and another time a friend of my dad's helping me out with a solid wood model...all on the kitchen table.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 05, 2015, 06:33 AM
Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,967 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Thinking ahead I also found a suitable piece of wing art on the net, even better as it will be executable in tissue.
That's the one I was going to use as well....

And no need to apologise - if anything, I owe you an apology because it was a comment from you which sent the Bandit to the top of my build list... Mind you, it's good that you are starting with the fus - it means that I can simply copy you!
Colonel Blink is online now Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
Old Mar 05, 2015, 06:59 AM
Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,157 Posts
And my large one will start soon and we shall have 3 going on.Would it be a sin if I move the gear legs to the fuse bottom?I would like to use a torsion spring set up.
rabidrue1 is offline Find More Posts by rabidrue1
Last edited by rabidrue1; Mar 05, 2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2015, 07:53 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,967 Posts
I'm likely to use either saddle clamps or tubes as sockets for mine. My view is that it's your model, you make it how you want......
<eyes the clear purple iron on film again>
Old Mar 05, 2015, 08:43 AM
Find More Posts by kkphantom
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
666 Posts

I've got a whole roll of the stuff if you need any....
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Mar 05, 2015, 11:17 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabidrue1 View Post
And my large one will start soon and we shall have 3 going on.Would it be a sin if I move the gear legs to the fuse bottom?I would like to use a torsion spring set up.
Mine will be the usual (for me) double legs plugging into tubes and will be close to the bottom.

Colonel - step AWAY from the purple film!
Old Mar 05, 2015, 11:29 AM
Find More Posts by Harry D
Since 1952
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Oct 2004
1,425 Posts

<Colonel - step AWAY from the purple film!>

You could always do like HK, and call it "Modena". Sounds a bit more classy, somehow. Maybe.
Harry D is offline Find More Posts by Harry D
Old Mar 05, 2015, 01:56 PM
Find More Posts by patmcc
Northumberland, England
Joined Jan 2007
684 Posts
Somehow "Modena People Eater" doesn't have the same ring to it as Sheb Wooley's song.
patmcc is offline Find More Posts by patmcc
Old Mar 14, 2015, 07:19 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,157 Posts
Any gluing going on?
Old Apr 04, 2015, 12:01 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,539 Posts
For a number of reasons progress on the Bandit has been glacial, but I managed an hour or two today and glued up the spruce crutch/former assembly, fitted the servo mount and generally got it ready to fit the fuselage sides. The reason for fitting the servos at this stage is that the fuselage is quite narrow yet fairly deep, and fiddling around in there once assembled will be difficult.

I now also have pretty much all of the bits cut out as shown in the other photo so should be able to get into the flying surfaces in the next few days.
Old Apr 05, 2015, 06:54 AM
Blueplaidcanard flyer
sdy. ny
Joined May 2007
3,157 Posts
Looking good,wish I had time to work on the big one but I have to start on the dinner rolls.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 01:31 PM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,539 Posts
This particular build has taken on more significance for me with some news I received recently. My brother-in-law, Eric, with who I shared my modelling career from the age of 9 for twenty or more years, passed away just four days before I started this build log. I had already been building (or attempting to build) flying models for three years when Eric started going out with my older sister. He was aged 23 at the time, had a deep interest in full size aviation but had done no model building, however, observing my efforts he soon became interested and it was thanks to his encouragement and financial aid that I was able to progress as quickly as I did. Amongst many other things he bought me my first engine, the ubiquitous E. D. Bee and we built our first power model together - a Bandit - in 1954. Over the years we progressed through sport F/F and control-line to F/F contest flying and finally to single channel and Galloping Ghost radio. It was at this time that I got married and moved away, and Eric's modelling interest waned, although he still retained a strong interest in aviation generally. We saw little of each other after my mother died in 1991, and nothing at all since we moved to France 9 years ago, but it is in a large part thanks to him that I still have my life-long interest in aeromodelling, and I look back on those years of building and flying together with great fondness and nostalgia.

The Bandit was always our special favourite, I used to do most of our building and we had six of them over a period of two or three years, as well as a couple each or Outlaw and Pirate. So I can think of no better way or remembering a good friend and flying partner than to build this latest version, and am motivated to get on with it.

As the photos show, the fuselage has been joined and is in the jig whilst the cross spacers dry. The other two photos show Eric, the first one with our first Bandit in 1954 was taken with a box Brownie camera, hence the quality, the other one some five or six years later with a rather better camera shows him with his favourite AM35 powered Dixielander.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 04:50 PM
Joined Nov 2008
3,967 Posts
Great story George, and indeed a fitting tribute. I really think that I would have fared far better and retained a deeper interest in the hobby had I had an older or more experienced companion to advise and guide me. Especially if there were some financial input as well!

Even though you had lost touch, to me it sounds like that is more due to circumstance rather than anything else, and you will still feel the loss I'm sure. Build the Bandit, and send it skyward - Eric will be there with you in some way.