Old Oct 07, 2013, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
662 Posts
Discussion
ALES upgrade from a Radian?

After doing a bit of reading, I'm looking for the next step to a more competitive bird for ALES. Would prefer something new, not used, kit built okay, built up fine but composite ideal and for a budget of $500 (excluding electronics and power system). Any ideas from the ALES gurus out there? Certainly could build from scratch but would prefer not having to put 40-50 hours of build time into this. Plenty of years flying TD and DLGs but nothing I have can be "electrified" easily.
Any thoughts welcome!

Jim C
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2013, 04:43 PM
Find More Posts by Leadchucker
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Millsboro
Joined Sep 2008
3,656 Posts
The Top Models Grafas, Gracia, Avia and Prelude have done well at contents I've attended. They are in your price range,well made and fly nicely too.. I had two Avias until I went all Pulsar like and both Avias did well. A couple different vendors carry them with Esprit, Soaring USA and ICARE among them.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2013, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by rev.iain
Mesa AZ, it's a dry heat!
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Oct 2004
650 Posts
Check out Icare-rc, Esprit models, and Art Hobby,

Iain
rev.iain is offline Find More Posts by rev.iain
Old Oct 07, 2013, 08:27 PM
MrE
Find More Posts by MrE
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
3,122 Posts
There was a thread on here a few months back called "ALES on a budget" (or something like that) where the OP bought a wing from one model and a fuse from another and mabey tail feathers from a third? I dont remember exactly but he came up with a nice machine for a pretty good price.
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Oct 07, 2013, 08:29 PM
MrE
Find More Posts by MrE
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
3,122 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1641372
MrE is offline Find More Posts by MrE
Old Oct 07, 2013, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
6,074 Posts
Oculus

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...15448948492071

Or

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post26311185
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 07, 2013, 11:10 PM
Find More Posts by aeajr
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
25,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimn8uay View Post
After doing a bit of reading, I'm looking for the next step to a more competitive bird for ALES. Would prefer something new, not used, kit built okay, built up fine but composite ideal and for a budget of $500 (excluding electronics and power system). Any ideas from the ALES gurus out there? Certainly could build from scratch but would prefer not having to put 40-50 hours of build time into this. Plenty of years flying TD and DLGs but nothing I have can be "electrified" easily.
Any thoughts welcome!

Jim C
2 meter?
2.5 meter?
3 meter?
RES?
Full House?

Are you a SERIOUS Competitor or just stepping up because you like the format and what something more competitive?

Are you looking for something light for light wind conditions or do you need something well suited for more windy conditions?

Do you only fly in beautiful weather or do you show up and compete regardless of the conditions?

Do you tend to stay around the field or are you ready willing to run deep to get to the distant lift?

What radio are you using?

You got some good suggestions above. There are others but I won't make any recommendations till I know more about you.

What have YOU been seeing at your ALES contests that looks good to you?
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Oct 07, 2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2013, 07:06 AM
Find More Posts by Leadchucker
AMA7224 LSF1832
United States, DE, Millsboro
Joined Sep 2008
3,656 Posts
Check out the Wind Dancer III and Oracle by Fast Freddie's Polecat Aeroplane Works too. Both have done well in contest and are in your range.

http://www.polecataero.com/
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2013, 08:06 AM
Find More Posts by Speed37
Gone Flyin'
United States, MT, East Helena
Joined Nov 2010
412 Posts
I'm no guru but I agree with Curtis about the Oculus. It's been doing well and they offer free shipping right now.

http://www.mmglidertech.com/oculus.php

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1719819
Speed37 is offline Find More Posts by Speed37
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2013, 04:03 PM
Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
JimN8UAY
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Oct 2004
662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
2 meter?
2.5 meter?
3 meter?
RES?
Full House?

Are you a SERIOUS Competitor or just stepping up because you like the format and what something more competitive?

Are you looking for something light for light wind conditions or do you need something well suited for more windy conditions?

Do you only fly in beautiful weather or do you show up and compete regardless of the conditions?

Do you tend to stay around the field or are you ready willing to run deep to get to the distant lift?

What radio are you using?

You got some good suggestions above. There are others but I won't make any recommendations till I know more about you.

What have YOU been seeing at your ALES contests that looks good to you?
Thanks for the reply, all good questions. Here's some ideas:
Looking for wingspan; like 3M+
Full house preferably
Good all condition flying with ballast possibility

I fly all conditions but haven't flown an ALES event yet. Many TD and other assorted comps but looking to try ALES next season. I can't be a SERIOUS competitor since my schedule only allows a couple of comps a year, but I don't want to feel handicapped with a marginal airframe.

I have various radios to play with (JR,ATX) but leaning to my Taranis for this ship.

lots of good advice here so far, guys, thanks!

Jim C
Jimn8uay is offline Find More Posts by Jimn8uay
Old Oct 08, 2013, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by jaizon
WINS - Winch In Nose Sailplane
USA, NH
Joined Mar 2008
3,109 Posts
The Grafas would be a great step up. I have seen these fly and they will get you in the air very quickly and are quite capable. http://www.espritmodel.com/grafas-31e-f5jales-arf.aspx

Best of luck.

Preston
jaizon is offline Find More Posts by jaizon
Old Oct 08, 2013, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by tom1968
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
379 Posts
The Grafas, unballasted at 67 oz, will handle 12mph wind no problem. It starts to struggle a bit but is flyable at 15mph. I've just made a 10 oz ballast rod & will see how it does with that. The spar is a hollow tube and the fuse is roomy so ballast is easy. With a little camber and an aft CG it's pretty good in light air and very stable in thermals. It won't quite hang with the Pulsars, Topazes and moldies but for $535 it's darn close.

There's a thread from a guy called mikmerl who had both a Grafas and a Dragonfly Strong - E. He preferred the Dragonfly slightly as being a bit heavier and faster, but it's another $100 or more.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...371168&page=11

Tom
tom1968 is offline Find More Posts by tom1968
Last edited by tom1968; Oct 08, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2013, 11:05 PM
Find More Posts by d_maroney
A great day is good lift!
United States, TN, Hendersonville
Joined Jul 2006
81 Posts
Wow can't say I agree with any of the above. ALES is not a full house molded contest. You will carry to much speed at landing. No arrester allowed and no dorking. You need lite, big wings and a barn door for a flap. Stay away from heavy ships, motor, battery will weight you down enough. Buy the best Pulsar you can afford.

I have an AVA Quad, best all around non-molded ship I have ever had. Sounds like out of you budget, but very similar to a Pulsar. Stay away from those fiberglass fuse planes, they won't handle diverse weather ( like dead air).
d_maroney is offline Find More Posts by d_maroney
Old Oct 09, 2013, 07:23 AM
Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
-----
Ireland, County Kerry, Kerry
Joined Dec 2005
7,046 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d_maroney View Post
Wow can't say I agree with any of the above. ALES is not a full house molded contest. You will carry to much speed at landing. No arrester allowed and no dorking. You need lite, big wings and a barn door for a flap. Stay away from heavy ships, motor, battery will weight you down enough. Buy the best Pulsar you can afford.

I have an AVA Quad, best all around non-molded ship I have ever had. Sounds like out of you budget, but very similar to a Pulsar. Stay away from those fiberglass fuse planes, they won't handle diverse weather ( like dead air).
Maybe you are replying to the wrong thread? I had to go back and look again, and I certainly can't find a single mention of a mouldy in this thread

Chris
Woodstock 1 is offline Find More Posts by Woodstock 1
Old Oct 09, 2013, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by tom1968
United States, MA, Grafton
Joined May 2006
379 Posts
Well, d_maroney makes a couple of good points: an Ava, Pulsar, etc. is a more capable plane generally, and the ability to keep landing speeds down is critical to scoring well. Those are among the planes on my short list when the time comes to move up. If the original poster wants to consider increasing his budget, he can be that little bit more competitive.

I mentioned the Dragonfly Strong for a couple of reasons: it's not that much over the OP's budget limit, and it was directly compared to a Grafas by an experienced pilot. It's apparently a heavier, faster plane. So now if the OP is willing to spend more, he can go either way: more floaty, or more speedy. His choice.

Within the OP's parameters though: he set a budget limit of $500 new and prefers full-house, and he sounds experienced enough to know what he wants. For a plane around or under $500, the planes suggested (full-house Grafas, Avia etc. or the RES/REF Oracle or Oculus) are remarkably good. And managing landing energy does not seem to be a problem with any of them.

These ALES-on-a-budget threads are always good.
tom1968 is offline Find More Posts by tom1968
Last edited by tom1968; Oct 09, 2013 at 09:34 AM.