Old Apr 06, 2012, 06:46 AM
Find More Posts by proff
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Discussion
skydive drone

Hi all
I'm new here
I've never fly multirotor but I'm learning all what I can over internet since 2 month now because I'm working as embedded software engineer (and sometime everything else) for a research lab on multicopter autonomous advanced functions
in side of this job I'm dreaming to associate multicopter with one of my other intrest : skydiving in order to make totaly new video like traveling around under canopy skydivers or swooping traveleing etc etc
and the more I was thinking to this the more I'm asking myself why dont make a realy skydiving drone that start a 4000m (about 13000ft) and dive freely (but controled in dive axis yaw and free fall speed) around 1000m open a parachute activating motor ahng out parachute and comes down like a normal multicopter
with embedded FPV for folowing easly skydivers the embeded parachute will be cut away with a second control board for beeing controlable and not just only lost

I made some digital mokups views I did not represent camera or even gimbal and did not reprsent the folding props on motors
if you have idéa I'm intrested and congratulation for all of your works

good flights blue sky to all of you
proff is offline Find More Posts by proff
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:00 AM
Find More Posts by wizprod
Denmark, Region Zealand, Sorø
Joined May 2010
1,357 Posts
very interesting indeed!

You're gonna have a hard time with folding props though. They're folding the wrong way
wizprod is offline Find More Posts by wizprod
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:16 AM
Find More Posts by proff
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
I know that but I hope with the help of centrigual forces and a bit more thurst I can make it fly
as I dont need 20 min of flight but may be less that 5 mins I can use more thrust ...
normaly all true copter blades are articulated in this way also to avoid blade foot braking when "portance" (sorry dont know the english word) is hanging up the copter
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:18 AM
Find More Posts by machina
Linux Compatible
United States, DC, Washington
Joined Dec 2007
418 Posts
What size are we talking about here? The smaller it is the less control you will have over it in a freefall.

Also bear in mind you are going to need a long range link for rx/tx and video to make it controllable. Plus a failsafe built in to deploy parachute regardless of RC input in case of it being lost. If you're on the ground even with the drone straight up it is over 2 miles away vertically, plus whatever displacement laterally as the plane ascends with it. The FPV guys have to put in a lot of work and money to get that kind of ranges.
machina is offline Find More Posts by machina
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:47 AM
Find More Posts by proff
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by machina View Post
What size are we talking about here? The smaller it is the less control you will have over it in a freefall.

Also bear in mind you are going to need a long range link for rx/tx and video to make it controllable. Plus a failsafe built in to deploy parachute regardless of RC input in case of it being lost. If you're on the ground even with the drone straight up it is over 2 miles away vertically, plus whatever displacement laterally as the plane ascends with it. The FPV guys have to put in a lot of work and money to get that kind of ranges.
size is about 40/50cm wide because of limited place in plane (the one who have already jump from a pillatus now what I mean)
for the link obviously I know its a problem but anyway I could not assume a parachute failsaf opening before 1000m for other skydivers security so in any case even if it's not controlable the embedded controler will ensure the stability and embedded camera wil record autonomously
I know it's not the best solution but if 4000m or 5000m is not obvious with directive antena I have no other solution
Old Apr 06, 2012, 07:57 AM
Linux Compatible
Joined Dec 2007
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proff View Post
size is about 40/50cm wide because of limited place in plane (the one who have already jump from a pillatus now what I mean)
for the link obviously I know its a problem but anyway I could not assume a parachute failsaf opening before 1000m for other skydivers security so in any case even if it's not controlable the embedded controler will ensure the stability and embedded camera wil record autonomously
I know it's not the best solution but if 4000m or 5000m is not obvious with directive antena I have no other solution
It's definitely doable to get those ranges, it will just be expensive and time consuming. I know a dragon link will go the distance, but it's the video link that will need help.

Maybe a small drogue chute will help keep it from tumbling and also assist in deploying the parachute.

It might be easier to just start with a controllable free fall drone, and then step up to making it a multirotor, rather than trying for everything at once.
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:45 AM
Find More Posts by proff
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by machina View Post
It's definitely doable to get those ranges, it will just be expensive and time consuming. I know a dragon link will go the distance, but it's the video link that will need help.

Maybe a small drogue chute will help keep it from tumbling and also assist in deploying the parachute.

It might be easier to just start with a controllable free fall drone, and then step up to making it a multirotor, rather than trying for everything at once.
may be you right for disociate quad rotor and free fall object
for deploying parachute I thing true reserve parachute spring extractor is a good solution
a small RSE like the one for tandem jumps could be good but it avoid free fall a same speed that other skydivers
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:38 AM
Linux Compatible
Joined Dec 2007
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by proff View Post
may be you right for disociate quad rotor and free fall object
for deploying parachute I thing true reserve parachute spring extractor is a good solution
a small RSE like the one for tandem jumps could be good but it avoid free fall a same speed that other skydivers
It doesn't have to be big. I think this is a rare time that an RC machine can be heavier and it will be to it's advantage.

Make it dense so it's terminal velocity is above that of the skydiver. It looks like you will have some free space so this could be utilized with removable weights,. Have a very small drogue chute, and use the drone as described and use it's control surfaces to slow it if needed.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 01:57 PM
Find More Posts by proff
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
you're right for the weight it's an advantage for this curious thing.

Normaly the free space inside the ducted body will be feeled with the parachute and releasing system and a 2nd RC gear that will allow to control parachute when dissociated of quad copter part
just under the body will obviously take place the camera probably in a reversed canopy to avoid relative wind create turbulances

I'm thing also to split body and keep with parachute part all servo and control stuff for wings free fall control, to let the copter part be as light as possible
Old Apr 07, 2012, 02:42 PM
Find More Posts by randall1959
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I would think that you wouldn't even need motors. How about doing it like an autogyro? You could feather the rotors, then flatten them out and use them to slow the contraption and autorotate to the ground.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 07, 2012, 08:06 PM
Find More Posts by proff
Joined Apr 2012
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by randall1959 View Post
I would think that you wouldn't even need motors. How about doing it like an autogyro? You could feather the rotors, then flatten them out and use them to slow the contraption and autorotate to the ground.
may be yes but the aim is not the same
for me the objective is to folow and film skydivers in way we never did before
so I have to build something that can free fall and stop falling at the same altitude or almost and fly like a quad rotor for the rest of the way
Old Apr 07, 2012, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by randall1959
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2004
7,056 Posts
I would say you are asking an awful lot from a multirotor then. The best advice I could give you is to use more than one type of filming system and do some fancy editting.
randall1959 is offline Find More Posts by randall1959
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 08, 2014, 03:23 PM
Find More Posts by rols
Joined Sep 2014
1 Posts
Re: Drone for Skydiving

I stumbled across your thread cause I was trying to see if a unmanned aircraft has been developed for skydiving yet. I have come to the conclusion that it hasn't, but I am glad that someone else beside me has been thinking about the idea. I would love to talk more about your ideas and thoughts on the design. I have many of my own. Personally I think one of the best ideas to get something like this idea off and running is to pitch the idea to GoPro and get them on board. I do think that this idea is a great one and one that fills a need.
rols is offline Find More Posts by rols
Old Sep 09, 2014, 12:16 AM
Find More Posts by JustinL
Team Warpsquad
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined May 2005
1,429 Posts
The first time it gets tangled up in someone's parachute should be fun!

JustinL
JustinL is online now Find More Posts by JustinL
Old Jan 07, 2015, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by HUNK007
Joined Jan 2015
1 Posts
So, I've found you guys

I was searching in the internet if any have ever thought about filming someone freefalling or in a wingsuit. Sooo, I'm the third to join you guys. What's the progress??
HUNK007 is offline Find More Posts by HUNK007