HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2015, 04:56 PM
DragonLINK UHF only!!!!
Joined Feb 2011
1,249 Posts
Discussion
Mini SkyHunter or Mini Talon???? Which do you choose?

Pros' and Cons' of each mini....
Don't know if true, but the MiniTalon can carry more weight, and fly a bit longer
then the miniSkyHunter,....
plus the MiniTalon is a bit easier to transport (no booms to worry about)....

What do you guys suggest?
I'm looking for a quick all in one quick deployment FPV plane....

I have a bunch of 3s-3000mah and 3s-4000mah Lipos....
LexusFPV is offline Find More Posts by LexusFPV
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2015, 05:59 PM
fly it high as possible
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jun 2009
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusFPV View Post

plus the MiniTalon is a bit easier to transport (no booms to worry about)....

And, plus is easier to buy. Mini SH out of stock (-22) every day.
I don't know about Mini SH, but, MiniTalon is a really too fast bird.
IL76MD is offline Find More Posts by IL76MD
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:56 PM
United States, IL, Chgo
Joined Apr 2013
37 Posts
I am having the same problem!!! They both sound like great plans. I am thinking though the mini skyhunter is a bit more durable. Could be mistaken though.
maclover1234 is offline Find More Posts by maclover1234
Old Mar 21, 2015, 10:58 PM
Joined May 2013
648 Posts
I don't think enough people have flown with the mini Skyhunter to make an objective comparison. That being said, my opinion is that the mini Talon will be able to carry more weight and thus go further than the mini Skyhunter, all else being equal. I have built and flown two mini Talons and is currently looking at the mini Skyhunter as well.

The mini Talon has more room in its bay, and given that the usable space extends almost its entire length, with the motor at the tail, getting the CG right is easier. From what I have read, the Skyhunter, and most likely the mini Skyhunter, have some challenges when it comes to battery placement. With all the FPV gear, it becomes front heavy and the lipo needs to be placed way back.

The booms also appears to be a challenge, since it causes the need for some reinforcement on the wings as they can twist on rough landings. The tail section may also need some reinforcement. The mini Talon doesn't need any of that. On both my builds, I even skipped that wooden attachment for the bottom fin as it causes the front part of the mini Talon to hit the ground harder. I just placed two layers of fiber tape and it's all good.

That being said, the mini Talon requires you to maintain some speed when flying as it appears to be more prone to tip stalls than the mini Skyhunter.

In terms of transportability, it would probably be equal if you don't break both down. If you do, I think the mini Talon wins because there's only 2 wings and 2 spars to attach / remove, which I can easily do in 5 mins or less. With the mini Skyhunter, you got 2 booms and a more fragile tail section to deal with.

For a bit of range, the mini Talon is also easier to wire, with the UHF Rx and antenna way at the back and the rest of the FPV gear in front. With the mini Skyhunter, having the Rx and / or antenna at the tail will require a longer wire, most likely inside the boom, which affects the ease of breaking it down. Otherwise, you'd have to place the antenna near the motor, which doesn't provide as much separation vs. the mini Talon.

In terms of agility, the mini Talon can fly reasonably well, in able hands:

xuav mini talon x2212 1000kv 9x5 hqprop hobbywing 40a tgy tss10hm 4s2700 (2 min 32 sec)

My PB on the mini Talon is 20km out and back, with 7000mAh 4S on board, but only using up 4398mAh. I have doubts that the mini Skyhunter can carry that much lipo.
Stringer is online now Find More Posts by Stringer
Old Mar 22, 2015, 03:51 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IL76MD View Post
And, plus is easier to buy. Mini SH out of stock (-22) every day.
I don't know about Mini SH, but, MiniTalon is a really too fast bird.
The Mini Sky Hunter isn't yet released ! The (-23) showing now is preorders for the Mini Sky Hunter soon to be released. I've not yet flown a MiniTalon, but I recently received a Mini Sky Hunter to test out and it's a very cool looking mini version of the popular full sized FPV version... which we all know is quite popular.

As Stringer pointed out "I don't think enough people have flown with the mini Skyhunter to make an objective comparison."

But, the who test flew it at the CFL (video @ 3:16) meet felt is was flying great!

I'll try to get some video out ASAP on it, just need some time to finish the build.
CaliDave is online now Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Mar 22, 2015, 06:55 PM
Joined May 2013
648 Posts
Mini SkyHunter or Mini Talon???? Which do you choose?

Technically, the mini Skyhunter is released, just not the RMRC version. It is originally manufactured by Sonic Modell and is already available from Bevrc.com:

http://www.bevrc.com/-airplane_c10.html
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:07 AM
Joined May 2012
34 Posts
Are there any US distributors for the mini talon?
Jonesy Flier is online now Find More Posts by Jonesy Flier
Old Mar 23, 2015, 12:50 AM
Team Warpsquad
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined May 2009
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy Flier View Post
Are there any US distributors for the mini talon?
Think team legit has it
Mr.Aaron is online now Find More Posts by Mr.Aaron
Old Mar 23, 2015, 08:00 AM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
693 Posts
the mini talon lands very fast, just a warning.
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Joined Sep 2011
122 Posts
I have a full size hunter for two years and very happy with it. I need a mid or mini size fpv plane to grab and put into the back seat of the my car easily without struggling assembly. I am confused between mini talon and mini hunter. I know the flight characteristics of hunter but no idea about Talon. It is said that talon can handle more weight and longer flight time. Are there any of you who can make a comparison?
Thanks.
Onur.
onurboy is offline Find More Posts by onurboy
Old Yesterday, 04:40 AM
Joined May 2013
648 Posts
Check my post about the mini talon at the start of this thread.
Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stringer View Post
Check my post about the mini talon at the start of this thread.
Thank you Stringer, I think talon comes front with your comparison
onurboy is offline Find More Posts by onurboy
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,698 Posts
Seems kind of pointless to try to claim a detailed evaluation of a plane that you don't
actually have in your hand. For whatever it's worth, the big Skyhunter has zero problems
with placing the batteries where they need to be to balance the plane. As long as
they didn't add any extra crosswise bulkheads, I don't foresee the mini Skyhunter
having any problems with that either.
Reinforcing the root of the wings to prevent twist from the booms is not particularly hard
with the big hunter, and the flight loads on the small one are lower, so may not be necessary.

Having flown neither, I can only speculate, but in general I do not like the low speed
or high angle of attack handling of V-tails (any of them), because sideways
airflow causes pitch changes.
I've owned a lot of V, T and X tail sailplanes over the years, and I can fly a T or X into
a perfect vertical stall, it'll back up a plane length, flop over and fly away almost instantly.
Do the same thing with almost any V-tail plane, and it may tumble and spin, and can
take quite a while to recover. Why is that relevant? Because I already like to fly
my big hunter into all manner of aerobatic maneuvers including vertical hammerhead
stalls, and I think the mini Hunter will be much better suited to this type of flying,
while I suspect the Talon with it's short coupled V-tail may not be.

BTW, if max load carrying capacity and range are your priority, then don't really
see the point of a "Mini" anything. I see these as pure sport platforms, for those
who aren't into flying wings (don't like cutting holes all over their wings to install gear).
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
5,039 Posts
the miniSkyhunter may suite your flying style Daemon,
but everything about the miniTalon probably is much more suited
to everything else...ie....straight tunnel room for FPV gear,
no booms to break, speed, agility....etc, etc....

I just ordered the MiniTalon because of ease use.
There is hardly any breakdown of the plane, bc I hate
assembly process of planes once i get to the field.
Plug and fly!!!!

This video is enough for me.....but who knows, I'll probably get the miniSkyhunter in the future.

xuav mini talon x2212 1000kv 9x5 hqprop hobbywing 40a tgy tss10hm 4s2700 (2 min 32 sec)
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
29,698 Posts
Not quite clear where people are getting the idea that the mini Talon has a massively open fuse and that the Mini Hunter does not.

No pics of the Hunter split down the middle yet, but generally the inside looks like the outside
which is constant diameter through most of its length.
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon