HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 14, 2014, 08:07 AM
SEMPER FI
United States, IL, Belleville
Joined Oct 2006
1,058 Posts
Discussion
I want to fly like...WARTHOX...What Quad do I need?

I Have been flying Quads for about 2+ years now. I think I have gotten pretty good with what I currently own but I feel my Quads are sort of limiting my ability to grow as a Quad Pilot. Here is what I currently own:

DJI Phantom
Blade MQX
Wltoys V222
Hubsan X4 V2 (SD Cam Version)
Hubsan X4 V2
Estes Proto X
RCLOGGER - Eye One Extreme (Waiting for it to ship due to delays)

Watching vimeo videos of WARTHOX flying has made me want to get THAT good! However I wonder what new Quad I should be buying as I think that makes a huge difference, I can't do certain acro moves because my quads simply do not have the power and ability to do those high rate climbs etc, I can do somewhat similar things but nothing to the extent of throwing the Quad around in the sky like he does, it's pretty amazing to watch and I honestly think I can get that good with more experience and practice practice practice! IN my group i am the best pilot but I see myself as a beginner when it comes to guys like WARTHOX

mwc quad // ultraesc closed loop (3 min 33 sec)

So should I look at a MWC Quad? I guess this would be the point where I should actually build my first quad Vs. buying it RTF etc?

If you have a moment and want to help me choose a new set up I would appreciate any inputs you have. Thanks in advance.
JUCD VPR is offline Find More Posts by JUCD VPR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:12 AM
Ready to fly MRs
Swanton, OH
Joined Jul 2007
5,100 Posts
It isn't the quad, it is the talent. Most any quad will work, it more importantly depends on the flight controller. Warthox has a boatload of videos using everything from mini quads to huge octos and he throws them all around.

I would just build the most inexpensive MWC quad setup and fly the hell out of it. Armatten frames are pretty stout so maybe look into using one of those.
Sid3ways is offline Find More Posts by Sid3ways
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:16 AM
Turkawa
Turkey, Istanbul Province, Istanbul
Joined May 2009
61 Posts
I am not an expert and i am so far away from flaying like warthox..
BUT
Yes you need MWC.. Best ever flying software IMHO..
Crius SE v2 would be more than enough..
Check this...
zaxon is offline Find More Posts by zaxon
Old Jan 14, 2014, 09:18 AM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
3,308 Posts
KK2! Or 2.1 as it is now. Ive tried the rest but always go back to KK
ecks is offline Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2014, 01:27 AM
Flight cadet
The Netherlands, OV, Enschede
Joined Jul 2012
312 Posts
spend hundreds of hours with any good quad and a good flightcontroller -- last year I switched from commercial bnf/anf/etc quads to a scratch-build quad with a nanowii FC (designed by warthox) and only flew that one. I'm nowhere near his skill level but some of his maneuvers are there now. when you have flown enough start reading about tinkering the parameters of the FC and adjust them to your liking and spend hundreds of hours with the new settings... eventually you will reach his level... in short eat-sleep-fly-repeat
oxygen is online now Find More Posts by oxygen
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:35 AM
Gyro, SimonK n call it a day:)
United States, NJ, Hamilton Township
Joined Jan 2013
386 Posts
Build something like this, two pieces of wood notched together. This will take the worry away as you fly, the frame will break and not your components. I suggest the KK2 board also, you wont get preoccupied with PID's and features so to speak. When that gets boring (and it will) then you can have fun with the MW FC's. Get some cheap ass HK nylon props, sure they suck and you loose a bunch of horsepower but the idea is to just fly carefree, if you smash it (and you will) you can just undo the 12 screws and slap your stuff on a new frame. You have the desire to pilot so the rest will fall into place its just a matter of stick time.
Name: photo2.jpg
Views: 150
Size: 101.8 KB
Description:
lockwood is offline Find More Posts by lockwood
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:40 AM
United Kingdom, Reading
Joined Sep 2013
193 Posts
Get an armattan carbon fibre 355 quad with afro naze (this is the FC) and you will be able to throw acro manoeuvres and crash it while trying without worrying of damaging your quad.
QuadsDestroyer is offline Find More Posts by QuadsDestroyer
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:54 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadsDestroyer View Post
Get an armattan carbon fibre 355 quad with afro naze (this is the FC) and you will be able to throw acro manoeuvres and crash it while trying without worrying of damaging your quad.
I second that! Or, upgrade the motors on your Phantom, max out manual mode settings and get a different transmitter (one that allows you to increase throws).
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:55 AM
SEMPER FI
Joined Oct 2006
1,058 Posts
Thanks for the help so far guys, I am definitely new to all of these diff FC's so i'll need to do some homework on these.

I also need a good TX as I fly everything I own with their own stock TX's, I fly them really well but I do know that I could do a lot more with a better TX also. So should I be looking at a DX6i or something much better than that? $ isn't an issue BUT I'd rather be somewhat conservative and not spend a ton of money on just a TX. I will however buy what is needed to get this build/project going. I would like it to work with some of my other Quads that I listed if that is possible also.

So I'd rather not build it out of wood, I appreciate the suggestion but I want to go with an actual purchased frame (if I break it, which I prob will, then I am ok with buying replacement parts etc). That being said what should I get? A 550 size frame from HK or is there a specific one I need..I.E like in the Warthox Video, what is that Quad called?

I do wonder if I should go with the KK board first or just go straight to the MWC route with Ultra ESc's etc?

What motors do you suggest? Obviously brushless correct? Tigers?

I really appreciate the time you are taking to help me out with this. Thanks again guys!
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:56 AM
SEMPER FI
Joined Oct 2006
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuadsDestroyer View Post
I am going to go check that out now, thank you for the suggestion. I'll let you know what I think about it.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:05 AM
Flight cadet
The Netherlands, OV, Enschede
Joined Jul 2012
312 Posts
any 5+ channel TX will do (I do not want to start a flame war)

Buy or build any frame you can easy service -- flying like "the master" requires a lot of mistakes to be made... the motors type is bound to the weight you want to carry (and the size of the props) 3S or 4S etc/etc/etc

going for the best in the beginning would not be my advise...
oxygen is online now Find More Posts by oxygen
Old Jan 15, 2014, 08:57 AM
Ukraine, Crimea, Simferopol'
Joined Jul 2013
654 Posts
JUCD VPR as already mentioned talent means much. But the weight also does. Most of the "commercial" frames are heavy. Warthox frame weight is just about 150g. The one with 200mm arms is even lighter. When I started into copters and was doing some research about what parts to buy I wanted to get TBS Discovery first. But then I saw warthox's videos. And understood that I win about 200g (or so, don't remember exactly now) with just a different frame (warthox one). Every piece of wire, every screw counts! Warthox frame is also easy to repair. If you have an arm bent or broken you can make a new one yourself just by cutting needed length of aluarm and drilling some holes. I use this frame myself (and some other stuff from flyduino).

I don't have an experience with motor balancing and don't like to spend money on low quality stuff in general. So I started with tigers. flyduino also have their own designed motors which look like tigers clones but cost quite cheaper (x2208 and others). My current quad is using x2208 motors.

As to FC I use mega 3.0 pro board from witespy with multiwii 2.2.

Props are HQProps, available from flyduino too.
scf2k is offline Find More Posts by scf2k
Old Jan 15, 2014, 09:33 AM
SEMPER FI
Joined Oct 2006
1,058 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scf2k View Post
JUCD VPR as already mentioned talent means much. But the weight also does. Most of the "commercial" frames are heavy. Warthox frame weight is just about 150g. The one with 200mm arms is even lighter. When I started into copters and was doing some research about what parts to buy I wanted to get TBS Discovery first. But then I saw warthox's videos. And understood that I win about 200g (or so, don't remember exactly now) with just a different frame (warthox one). Every piece of wire, every screw counts! Warthox frame is also easy to repair. If you have an arm bent or broken you can make a new one yourself just by cutting needed length of aluarm and drilling some holes. I use this frame myself (and some other stuff from flyduino).

I don't have an experience with motor balancing and don't like to spend money on low quality stuff in general. So I started with tigers. flyduino also have their own designed motors which look like tigers clones but cost quite cheaper (x2208 and others). My current quad is using x2208 motors.

As to FC I use mega 3.0 pro board from witespy with multiwii 2.2.

Props are HQProps, available from flyduino too.
Where do I find Warthox frame you are speaking of? What is it called? Or is his scratch built?
Old Jan 15, 2014, 09:44 AM
Manual will not flyaway :D
Sweden, Gothenburg
Joined Oct 2012
3,308 Posts
I made my own frame out of wood, any frame can fly well with the right electronics/motors
mwc quad // ecks frame (2 min 41 sec)
ecks is offline Find More Posts by ecks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 15, 2014, 09:44 AM
Ukraine, Crimea, Simferopol'
Joined Jul 2013
654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JUCD VPR View Post
Where do I find Warthox frame you are speaking of? What is it called? Or is his scratch built?
http://flyduino.net/Quadrocopter-Frame-Set-25cm-arm
or
http://flyduino.net/Quadrocopter-Frame-Set-20cm-arm
scf2k is offline Find More Posts by scf2k