shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
Cool
SCARY!!! Brushless Stryker Video

a little too close for comfort...

SCARY BRUSHLESS STRYKER CRASH (large)

SCARY BRUSHLESS STRYKER CRASH (small)

high winds combined with forgetting to turn the gain back up on some channels after flying a different plane, so it wasnt as responsive as it typically is.... not good! the plane (and spectators) were ok.

the stryker is one tough bird!
rc_ron is offline Find More Posts by rc_ron
Last edited by rc_ron; Oct 17, 2004 at 07:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:08 PM
Joined Sep 2004
163 Posts
Glad no one was killed! Yikes, some thing just like that caused me to sell my nitro stuff.
RcAroPlanes is offline Find More Posts by RcAroPlanes
Old Oct 17, 2004, 11:15 PM
Suspended Account
USA
Joined Jun 2002
2,340 Posts
Faster then mine!
Spencer J is offline Find More Posts by Spencer J
Old Oct 18, 2004, 02:21 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,298 Posts
I did had something very similar happen to a Sig Wonder once..
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Oct 18, 2004, 07:42 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Lets get that computer radio with memory so that doesn't happen. I was afraid of that happening to me so I went out and purchased a computer radio to make sure that never happens to me.

Mark
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:30 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,156 Posts
How does just buying a computer radio stop you from making a dumbass mistake before launching a model?... answer: it doesn't. All the more probability that you take off with the settings of the wrong plane among other things. Nitro planes aren't automatically bad either. The most beautiful and poetic models I've seen are methanol or deisel powered.

Just be diligent about that pre-flight check people!...

...in no way am I suggesting I'm immune to it. Long time ago I crashed my sweet little plane on take off by taking off with ailerons reversed. Then spent the entire weeked fixing it... and first flight back on the strip I did exactly the same freakin thing again to kill it! The circumstances were crazy, but I still did it.

Other small things too... Another time as a younger pilot I forgot to put my fequency key in the board and took off. Another flyer turned his set on not knowing I was already using the frequency, causing my model to go crazy. I managed to stooge it back to the air strip (it was a fair way out over the field) but it kept going for the pits and by-standers so I rolled it on its back and drove it into the deck to stop it.

Every single safety item on the list of flying a model plane is important. Please make sure you do your due diligence for any given situation. It's a great hobby, and we need to keep it without regrets.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Last edited by theKM; Oct 18, 2004 at 08:32 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:39 AM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,156 Posts
...and no offence... after watching the video, I fail to see the excuse of incorrect rates. You're looping, rolling... and flying for quite some time before the incident. You would of either a] figured out the rates were wrong, but most of all b] become used to the rates and flown appropriately anyway. It's the thumbs fault in this case.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:16 AM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
...and no offence... after watching the video, I fail to see the excuse of incorrect rates. You're looping, rolling... and flying for quite some time before the incident. You would of either a] figured out the rates were wrong, but most of all b] become used to the rates and flown appropriately anyway. It's the thumbs fault in this case.

agreed. i flipped the plane too far onto its side and it started loosing altitude. i gave it full down elevon to push it toward the field, but the wind, lack of response, and dropping altitude shot it right into us. if my thumbs were working more quickly, i would have leveled it off...
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:57 AM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
How does just buying a computer radio stop you from making a dumbass mistake before launching a model?... answer: it doesn't. All the more probability that you take off with the settings of the wrong plane among other things. Nitro planes aren't automatically bad either. The most beautiful and poetic models I've seen are methanol or deisel powered.

Just be diligent about that pre-flight check people!...

...in no way am I suggesting I'm immune to it. Long time ago I crashed my sweet little plane on take off by taking off with ailerons reversed. Then spent the entire weeked fixing it... and first flight back on the strip I did exactly the same freakin thing again to kill it! The circumstances were crazy, but I still did it.

Other small things too... Another time as a younger pilot I forgot to put my fequency key in the board and took off. Another flyer turned his set on not knowing I was already using the frequency, causing my model to go crazy. I managed to stooge it back to the air strip (it was a fair way out over the field) but it kept going for the pits and by-standers so I rolled it on its back and drove it into the deck to stop it.

Every single safety item on the list of flying a model plane is important. Please make sure you do your due diligence for any given situation. It's a great hobby, and we need to keep it without regrets.
I appreciate the attack. But my thinking behind it is he stated "high winds combined with forgetting to turn the gain back up on some channels after flying a different plane". Apparently he was flying another plane and forgot to adjust it. With a computer radio you know before flying your next plane you have to select the plane on your radio. Just giving him my opinion that if you have multiple planes save yourself that sort of hardache and equip yourself with a radio that can handle multiple planes so you don't run into that kinda issue.

Mark
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2004, 12:46 PM
ncb
A&P
Parker, Colorado
Joined Jan 2004
440 Posts
I think it a boils down to safety. When you have people watching you should keep your plane a safe distance.
ncb is offline Find More Posts by ncb
Old Oct 18, 2004, 03:27 PM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncb
I think it a boils down to safety. When you have people watching you should keep your plane a safe distance.
agreed!
Old Oct 18, 2004, 03:49 PM
honey... anOTHER PLANE!
Cedar Park, TX
Joined Aug 2002
972 Posts
the link to the vid is not working?
Dampy is offline Find More Posts by Dampy
Old Oct 18, 2004, 04:00 PM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
no worky here either.
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Oct 18, 2004, 08:20 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1
Apparently he was flying another plane and forgot to adjust it. With a computer radio you know before flying your next plane you have to select the plane on your radio. Just giving him my opinion that if you have multiple planes save yourself that sort of hardache and equip yourself with a radio that can handle multiple planes so you don't run into that kinda issue.

Mark
I fully undertand what you mean, but you still have to change models in the Tx. If someone can forget to change the rates, they can also forget to change the model in the computer. It's human nature. Computer radio's have more settings that you can get wrong, and that makes more settings that you can have in the wrong position when you take off. If you change the model, you can still have the switches in the wrong place.

No computer can get around a distracted user and basic user error.

What you can do is go the other way. A simple four channel radio set with no features at all. My old Futaba Attack 4 served me well for a long time without any issues. No extra features so you couldn't possibly have anything like that get in the way!

...end point travel adjust is moving the pushrod in or out on the servo and/or the control horn on the control surface.
Old Oct 18, 2004, 09:33 PM
shawnee, ks
Joined Apr 2004
898 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampy
the link to the vid is not working?
it may be a codec issue -- it works fine for me. unfortunately .wmv for windows gave the best image quality vs compression and i've found some older versions of media player dont have the codec. you should be able to download it though. im not sure if it will work on a mac.