Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 13, 2014, 12:09 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,063 Posts
Discussion
Cable Cam

There is no forum for cable cams so since the cable cam is specifically designed for filming I thought it may fit here.

It uses an E-Flite Power 10 motor, Traxxas ESC, 2S 5000mAh battery, custom frame, acetal ball-bearing guide wheels, timing belt drive and main gear, Parallax continuous rotation servo for panning, and Feiyu-Tech gimbal for Hero 3+ stabilization.

Cable Cam with gimbal (1 min 33 sec)
Sixinarow is online now Find More Posts by Sixinarow
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2014, 11:18 AM
Joined Mar 2014
1 Posts
Nice! My son and I are trying to build something similar to this. We have a rough idea and are trying to re-use parts and peices from old electronics and RC's. Do you have any plans and pictures that you would be willing to share with us? We are new to RC's and building electronics, but have begun learning the basics. We have built a "manual" cable cam and want to step it up to an RC version. Thanks in advance! Cheers! -Nick
islandertek is offline Find More Posts by islandertek
Old Mar 07, 2014, 12:20 PM
Addicted
Joined Dec 2011
1,063 Posts
Hey, thanks. I got your PM. Sorry I haven't replied, yet. I've had a lot of things going on lately!

I'll answer some of your questions here and email or PM you with other info.

Do you have a hobby shop close to you? If you're unfamiliar with RC electronics I'd suggest going there to get in-person help. It's difficult to explain how I built it with words. Pics only help visually and it took me a lot of time to get it to where it is now. It's somewhat crude, being a custom project. I didn't want to invest a lot of time or money on laser cut pieces, etc., until I got it working correctly.

As with most any RC vehicle, you'll need the basics:

Motor
Battery
Reversible ESC (electronic speed control)
Battery
Receiver and Transmitter

You'll need something for the motor to drive. I used a plastic pulley. Depending on the RPM of your motor, which is rated by KV, or "RPMs per Volt", you'll want to gear your drive pulley down since it isn't driving a propeller.

My first version used a pinion gear on the motor and a main gear on the drive pulley. It was difficult to keep them meshing correctly so I abandoned that idea and am now using a toothed pinion and toothed main gear which is driven via a Kevlar-reinforced timing belt. This allows for intolerances in the mounting of the drive axle and motor mount.

I don't have plans as I built it as I went, usually just sketching or writing down measurements.

I'll try and post some photos this weekend. I don't mind sharing photos, ideas, etc. But, as you should know, communicating the ideas and such over the internet can be tough.

More later, gotta go.
Last edited by Sixinarow; Mar 07, 2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2014, 01:02 PM
United States, HI, Waimea
Joined Feb 2013
554 Posts
One trick I picked up from a videographer friend is to add a second cable, strictly as a damper. They can be side-by-side, one over the other, whatever. Have your cable cam system engage both cables. On an over-under you only have to drive on one cable. The other is strictly to help take out roll around the cable. I haven't tried this, so he could be feeding me a line. But he swears by it.

Thanks for posting this, Sixinarow. This makes me want to build a cable cam system. It seems like a great tool to have available. (Hey, the Olympics used them like nuts!)

Tom
benedict is offline Find More Posts by benedict
Old Mar 07, 2014, 02:30 PM
Addicted
Joined Dec 2011
1,063 Posts
I agree with the double lines, Tom. Side by side would be best on my setup. As long as they're anchored to a single-point tensioner then the two lines should keep the same tension, but even if they're two separate lines they'd be easy to tension the same so it sits parallel to the ground.