HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined May 2012
122 Posts
Discussion
Saito FB-14 needs help

My saito FB-14 coughed a few times then died during bench run in, after that it wouldn't start again. Please help. It was into about a couple hours of bench run in, it never quit since the first start, and was breaking in properly according to the manual. The previous tank I started to lean it to reach WOT, from idle to WOT was all fine even though the transition was stumble and not yet smooth, but it never quit. Today during it's first tank of run in, it started easily as usual but seemed lean as I throttled up and down, but after about 7 minutes, it coughed a couple times, then stopped. After that I couldnt get it to start again and the spark plug didn't fire at all. I removed the spark plug to check, but it fired properly. I checked the fuel line, and it looked the fuel did reach the carb. I tried to adjust the hsn and lsn a little bit either way, but the spark plug just wouldn't fire when I applied the starter. My hsn is about 1hr20min, lsn around 5 turns from flush, all unchanged since the previous tank.
What should I do about this problem? any advice will be appreciated.
kentli22 is offline Find More Posts by kentli22
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:11 AM
Joined May 2012
122 Posts
It should be Saio FG-14, not FB-14
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:35 AM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
What sort of FUEL were you using for your FG-14, anyway?

Dear Kentli22:

The PIPE Here...since you didn't exactly mention what sort of FUEL you were using for your FG-14 mill in your initial post, I thought it was best to ask first in the opening paragraph of my reply.

I'm guessing that you're a fellow US citizen, and are most likely using automotive pump gasoline, like one gets from a filling station for one's car as I'd be doing if I had one of those Saito "smallest" four-stroke gasser mills (actually, once I'm able to get back at work - I've been unemployed since September 2008 - I'd like to GET one of those FG-14Bs to try out myself in time !) it can, and OFTEN does in emission-control states like the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, have a 10% ETHANOL content - usually known as "E10" motor fuel - to run cleaner than "straight gasoline" would.

If your state requires the use of "E10" motor fuel for all automobiles and small engines (like in power mowers, snowthrowers and emergency generators) , with "no way around it" at all as Massachusetts does, a fuel additive called StarTron - usually available at marine (boating) supply stores all around the USA - MIGHT be able to help if you're forced to use only E10 "pump gas" to run a spark ignition four-stroke model aircraft mill with.

This past weekend I managed to get my home's snowthrower starting readily and running beautifully on E10 fuel using the StarTron to get ready for the oncoming winter season here in New England. Much earlier this year, as there was practically NO "winter" in New England in 2011-2012, I first tried the StarTron on the lawn mower, and it worked VERY nicely, seriously improving the starting of the mower's engine, which used to have quite hard starts from time to time with "straight" E10 fuel. And only about a month ago, the emergency generator got its first dose of StarTron, and likewise got a lot easier to start AND stay running.

This following video gives a good overview of both StarTron and the use of ethanol-free "small engine fuel" for running small gasoline engines with...

Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment and SEF94 Small Engine Fuel (3 min 45 sec)

...so, if you do NOT have the "small engine fuel" non-ethanol-content gasoline option available to you (like I do in the Bay State) using StarTron with your required E10-type gasoline COULD make starting and running your FG-14 mill much less troublesome.

Hope this tip might be of help to you...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:50 AM
Joined May 2012
122 Posts
The fuel I used is 93unlead mixed 1:20 with synthetic 2T
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:24 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,741 Posts
Sounds to me more like an ignition problem than anything related to fuel. I assume you charged the ignition battery pack before this morning's run in attempt?

If the battery is charged, swap it for another pack. If that doesn't make a difference, check all of the connections; sensor, switch, reseat the ground, etc. Go through all the possible options and if you still don't have spark, then it's time to contact Horizon for service.
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined May 2012
122 Posts
Thanks Hemikiller
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:41 AM
Joined May 2012
122 Posts
The battery was charged. I removed the spark plug to check if there was spark. When I turned the prop, the spark plug made spark normally. Does this mean my whole ignition system is ok?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:46 AM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
682 Posts
+1 on the ignition pack charge.

If that does not work..... STOP EVRYTHING! call Horizon warrenty dept and let then walk you through the trouble shooting steps. Horizion has one of if not the best warrenty depts in the buisness.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined May 2012
122 Posts
I didn't buy from Horizion. What did it mean " +1 on the ignition pack charge"?
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:19 PM
Joined May 2012
122 Posts
I found out there was a weak wiring connection to the CDI, when it touched, it sparked. When not touched, no spark. I hope this will solve the problem after I fix the wiring. Thanks for the help.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:13 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Sometimes a spark plug will fire when out in the open so you can see the electrodes. When installed in the engine and under compression it will not fire.

When working on chainsaws, sting trimmers etc, the first thing I do is check compression by pulling the engine over with the rope. If it has compression the second thing I check is spark using a "Zat 4" spark tester. It goes in line between the plug and the ignition wire. I've seen brandy spanky new plugs that won't fire under compression.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition
Old Nov 26, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined May 2012
122 Posts
Kenh3497
You were right. Besides the weak wire connection, it was the spark plug that was bad. It fired occasionally when I had it out to check, but when it was back, it wouldn't fire at all. I replaced it with the used spark plug that I pulled out from my NGH GT9, and it sparked every time I spin the prop. My Saito is now back to normal,just like the way it. E sought
By the way, what does spark plug under compression mean?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:25 AM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
980 Posts
As you increase air pressure, the density of air increases. It then takes more voltage for the spark to jump the gap as the pressure increases. In my (much) younger days, our local gas station had a spark plug cleaner/tester machine. besides the mini-sand blaster, it had a variable pressure chamber and a continuous spark voltage generator. It was interesting to see plugs stop firing as the pressure increased. If I can remember, the instructions said to throw out gapped plugs that wouldn't fire above 120 psi.
jjkupinski is online now Find More Posts by jjkupinski