Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:12 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,965 Posts
OK you've piqued my interest. I am thinking I might want to build a long range expendable plane. Try to get it built and flying on 1280 w a dipole, UHF and crappy camera, simple OSD for around $250 all in. Then just launch over the ocean and fly down the coast (can't get lost) until near the 1/2 way limit of the battery, turn and come home. That will be my one and only long range attempt, unless I recover the plane and get to try again Maybe 20km out and back?

Time to order another Popwing I think. But crap those UHF receivers are pricey.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:41 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,527 Posts
Use a 1360kv motor, 7x6 prop, 30A ESC, and 1300 mAH 3S for 30+ minute flight times, using the same battery to power the FPV gear too. I now have my 1.3 stuff on the PopWing - check my latest blog entry!

Hopefully I'll be able to get ChainLink or RangeLink for the holidays coming up

Dan
DJO is offline Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Home Run Derby & Aerial Shots
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,455 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
OK you've piqued my interest. I am thinking I might want to build a long range expendable plane. Try to get it built and flying on 1280 w a dipole, UHF and crappy camera, simple OSD for around $250 all in. Then just launch over the ocean and fly down the coast (can't get lost) until near the 1/2 way limit of the battery, turn and come home. That will be my one and only long range attempt, unless I recover the plane and get to try again Maybe 20km out and back?

Time to order another Popwing I think. But crap those UHF receivers are pricey.
I used gliders for long range because I could fly far out till battery died, and then glide all way back home, even 30 km away I glide 30 km back

I use separate video,battery and rx battery, so I have three batteries in the plane

Ezglider pro will do 20 km no problem
Cularis 30 km for sure

Ezstar I go out till 12km and then come home. But use motor to get back home

Aerodynamics is big part of long range

Useing coastline to navigate is great idea

I do that also and can't ever get lost with coast line

Mountain flying long range is a blast, can't get lost with mountains as well

I circle around and look back,where i took,off from and fly further and circle around and fly further to get to know my area

Good luck with no OSd, you will find the fpv experience to be more fpv
And not OSd assisted

It's a real rush not useing OSd

Eventually you will never put OSd in a plane again unless youmflymin fog or like clouds where visual is impossible without osd

OSd is recommended IMHO for those starting out
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:16 PM
LKJ
Lars k Jensen
Denmark, Central Denmark Region, Tostrup
Joined Apr 2006
544 Posts
I have being flying FPV 6 years with a OSD my friend made to us when we started FPV no GPS only battery V and barometric vario and height, i have being flying UL trike for 10 years all over my country (small one ) no GPS and never being lost, never with FPV to, its is just a question of learning to how to navigate, read the landscape, new places = take your time to learn the surroundings, notice the suns position, and use common sense, work atleast for me.
I fly Easy Glider for the most with an early TSLRS of the first edition but i don't fly longer then 2-3 km away, just enjoy termaling around, if there is something i want to See somewhere i just drive closer, long-range flying is boring, got enough of that in my UL.

Lars.
LKJ is offline Find More Posts by LKJ
Old Nov 20, 2012, 10:05 AM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
I flew 6.5km w/ no OSD long ago.

6.5KM FLIGHT - NO OSD (re-edit with music) (15 min 52 sec)

Britflight Deezee plane. (this plane cruises at 3amps and about 30 mph when setup right). I could go MUCH further - it also can thermal and glide very far. You can clearly see where I could have done a lot to clean up the airflow but this is how she looks hanging on the wall. Just ready to charge a pack and give her a go. LOL. It's retired but it was a blast learning on this plane.

ImmersionRC 2.4gHz 500mw vTx
Dragon Link for control
Cercom Technology 8dBi patch with integrated vrx. :

My personal best with OSD is 35.4 km. I have no desire to fly that far again, nor do I have a desire for long range as my FPV needs have changed a lot since I first started. DAVID22 is the long-range no OSD king - I don't think anyone else has come that close. But - as he says, it's pretty easy... it requires is knowing your plane - and knowing the environment. You need to be a weather expert, and you need to do lots of testing using only throttle position and a stopwatch (minutes before LVC).
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Nov 20, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:50 AM
mutski
Fairbanks, AK
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
I'm just starting FPV, and already ordering G-OSD from HK. I was surprised at the loss of battery life when I added FPV, so I am very interested in the voltage display. I was also surprised how easy it was to become disoriented, even after studying keychain camera videos of field. The first flight I had a spotter to tell me which way to turn. Second flight I had to circle until I spotted a familiar landmark. I'm interested in the home arrow and plan to add the CL-OSD update. So far, I've only flown a half-mile from the starting point, which I think is close to the range of my Vtx (5.8 ghz 250 mw Immersion). I need to practice and upgrade antennas before I venture far, and now it's winter. I may not get many more chances till March.
mutski is offline Find More Posts by mutski
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:28 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,527 Posts
Hmm yeah, interesting points. On my first FPV flights about a month or two ago I actually found it pretty easy to keep orientation and only had to have my spotter help me out once. Other than that, I've never had an issue. Yes it can be disorienting but yes you have to know your equipment, plane, and conditions VERY well.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:36 PM
New Zealand, Waikato, Cambridge
Joined Feb 2012
325 Posts
The thing I don't understand about no-OSD flying is that many people seem to think of OSD as the only way of getting information from the plane. I use a $2 battery cell tester connected to the balance port of the battery to understand when I need to head back. I think this is a superior alternative to cheap voltage-only OSDs.
mkuvy is offline Find More Posts by mkuvy
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:48 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,527 Posts
Well.. you could do that but would either have to 1) land to check voltage, or 2) setup a tilt setup to view the voltage meter onboard. Yes I have used a battery checker but I'd rather fly for a longer time before landing.

Heck, I only paid (literally) $2.99 including shipping for a simple OSD that'll show the main pack's voltage.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:07 PM
FPVing for fun...
Joined Jul 2003
548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
Well.. you could do that but would either have to 1) land to check voltage, or 2) setup a tilt setup to view the voltage meter onboard. Yes I have used a battery checker but I'd rather fly for a longer time before landing.
I use a HK low voltage alarm on my tri because I fly it without an OSD and I can't see it... but I can hear...

I use one earphone only on my Fatshark so I can hear my surroundings and the audio channel at the same time...
rcall is offline Find More Posts by rcall
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:31 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,527 Posts
Meh, my new PZ0420 camera doesn't even have a microphone (I think ) on it so it would be useless to put an earbud in anyways Plus that's just one more wire to solder to the vTX... but I guess that would work too for some. But of course it's just easier to have a simple OSD onboard most of the time. And I've already got enough cables running to my head for the goggles LOL

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:48 PM
Australia
Joined Apr 2008
2,805 Posts
This is the most ive gone without an OSD (1.2km), pretty easy to find my way back tho....
When I tried 5km out bush(with osd) I would have totally been lost without the compass / home arrow.
chancesAU is offline Find More Posts by chancesAU
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:34 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,527 Posts
Yeah it would depend on the landscape of course. If I flew out a mile I could most likely easily see the large high school complex that I was flying from, as long as I stayed nice and high

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:42 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,965 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David22 View Post
I used gliders for long range because I could fly far out till battery died, and then glide all way back home, even 30 km away I glide 30 km back

I use separate video,battery and rx battery, so I have three batteries in the plane

Ezglider pro will do 20 km no problem
Cularis 30 km for sure

Ezstar I go out till 12km and then come home. But use motor to get back home

Aerodynamics is big part of long range

Useing coastline to navigate is great idea

I do that also and can't ever get lost with coast line

Mountain flying long range is a blast, can't get lost with mountains as well

I circle around and look back,where i took,off from and fly further and circle around and fly further to get to know my area

Good luck with no OSd, you will find the fpv experience to be more fpv
And not OSd assisted

It's a real rush not useing OSd

Eventually you will never put OSd in a plane again unless youmflymin fog or like clouds where visual is impossible without osd

OSd is recommended IMHO for those starting out
I am new to soaring, so don't have the skills to catch updrafts yet. Working on it though.

I have a PasserX plane (and two more PasserX kits in the mail - hit a lamppost last week so I need spare wings) which could be very good for glide ratio and efficiency. And cheap at $85/per kit. I also have some 2m Cularis-type foam wings (and some large dia CF tubing to make a fuse). But when I see some of the very impressive long range flights with EPP wings, I am thinking the Popwing might be a good candidate. Thin airfoil, low weight, simple 2 servo setup, large wing area. $30 per kit. I guess it might be draggy in rough EPP unless I sanded and laminated it. Yes i realize high aspect ratio wing is the more efficient type, generally.

Not knocking no-OSD flying, But part of the fun of FPV is the complex FPV and autopilot tech. Sure it takes away from the immersive experience of flying, but it is also a marvel to behold a full set of instruments and learn to use them also. Also for night flying RC planes, GPS waypoints, altitude and AHI could be real handy

I will always fly some simple OSD and no osd planes also. Love the variety. Usually use my simple OSD Teksumo to warm up at the field before launching a larger big dollar FPV plane. Simple OSD is not very reliable, so many times I end up flying no OSD for a few packs anyways.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:46 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,527 Posts
I flew DLG for a month or so but never really caught a thermal well. I think my plane was a bit heavier than recommended

My PopWing is a bit heavier now with that extra hot glue on from the crashes it's super durable though. If you want, you could always build something from CrashTestHobby like the Assassin or Widowmaker and just cut holes wherever you want to, to accommodate for the FPV gear. I think that's what I'm going to end up doing next!

Dan
RCG Plus Member