Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:09 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by datsunguy View Post
And I have seen just the opposite. I bought 60 gallons of Hobby Shack White Lightening years ago. It has been stored under my basement stairs sitting on a concrete floor since I bought it. Hobby People hasn't been Hobby Shack for at least ten years and this fuel is older than that. Runs as well as it did the day I bought it.

What fuel has tell tale, moisture indicating dye?
I wonder if that is due to a different (better?) type of bottle too. Most fuel is in transparent jugs, not that white opaque stuff.
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:11 PM
Heathkit DX-100 son of Bullet
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
1,923 Posts
As I said, not all plastic bottles and not all floors , moisture conditions are alike . No where did I offer an absolute , "It will happen, every time" . Under the "right" conditions , moisture contamination can and will occur .

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
I wonder if that is due to a different (better?) type of bottle too. Most fuel is in transparent jugs, not that white opaque stuff.
Yes , There is indeed a difference . Certain high density poly jugs are less susceptable to osmosis etc
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Last edited by Gary Cee; Aug 14, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
1,514 Posts
I also have fuel in clear plastic that is just as old and still works well. I bought a lifetime supply. Oh well, such is life. You still haven't said what fuel uses a moisture indicating dye.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:18 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
Quote:
I also have fuel in clear plastic that is just as old and still works well. I bought a lifetime supply. Oh well, such is life. You still haven't said what fuel uses a moisture indicating dye.
Maybe its the same kind of dye that shows whether you are peeing in the pool
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:44 AM
Joined Jun 2011
1,514 Posts
another old wives tale. We didn't believe it in YMCA camp and snuck out and peed in the pool one night. NADA

One of the Olympic divers was asked if he peed in the pool and he said yes and they all do it. No dye there.
datsunguy is offline Find More Posts by datsunguy
Last edited by datsunguy; Aug 15, 2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 12:51 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
Quote:
another old wives tale. We didn't believe it in YMCA camp and snuck out and peed in the pool one night. NADA

One of the Olympic divers was asked if he peed in the pool and he said yes and they all do it. No dye there.
Nasty!
Old Aug 15, 2012, 06:19 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeingeyegod View Post
Nasty!
Any poo poos in da pool ? Cheers the pope
the pope is online now Find More Posts by the pope
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:53 PM
3dizzle 4 lyfe
United States, OH, Philo
Joined Jul 2011
2,464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by the pope View Post
Any poo poos in da pool ? Cheers the pope
LOL! THE POPE! love the name!
cale10 is offline Find More Posts by cale10
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:48 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=622781543647
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,497 Posts
O you nasty nasty boys.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Aug 15, 2012, 11:36 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Sep 2007
575 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cale10 View Post
LOL! THE POPE! love the name!
Peace to you too , my son . Cheers the pope
the pope is online now Find More Posts by the pope
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:58 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2011
331 Posts
Quote:
Gary is correct about the plastic jugs, both Torco and VP racing fuels reccomend that you do not use plastic for storage just for transfer of fuels. Mind you Torco and VP are talking about 99.9% pure alcohol and not mixed fuel. I know nitro in certain plastics is ok but, racing alcohol I prefer metal drums. I have seen moisture get inside sealed plastic 5 gallon containers. I store my RC fuel in plastic, off the basement floor, and the temperature never changes. This is VP's take on plastic and storage.

Q) "How long will VP fuels last in one of your plastic fuel containers?

A) I would personally use it within 2 to 4 weeks. A plastic container is designed for fuel transfer, not storage. If you are going racing for a week or weekend, it's OK to put your fuel in the plastic containers. I just recommend that when you get to your shop you put the fuel back in the drum and seal it. This will keep it fresh. Plastic is porous. Even though the liquid fuel doesn't leak out, the light ends of the fuel can evaporate out of the plastic. Plus the sun's UV rays can penetrate plastic and the lead may drop out. Again, plastic containers are designed for transfer, not storage."

As for the dye there is 2 differnet kinds I know of, one is a liquid you pour into the tank, very large above ground tanks and shows up water when you drain off the sump. The other, one that I have used is a paste that you put on a stick and then dip the container or tank. The paste changes color when it contacts water. The name slips my mind at the moment but, I can get you the name of the product. Gas stations are susposed to use it regularly to dip their tanks and check for water. Any good company that services gas station fuel pumps should have some or just Google "water paste" or "water finding paste"

Cheers
Ray
Nav_Aids is offline Find More Posts by Nav_Aids
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:14 AM
Dieselized User
Chicagoland
Joined Feb 2000
7,250 Posts
And how long does fuel sit before you get it in your hands?

What "light ends" and lead in methanol are they talking about? It sure sounds like VP is talking about gasoline in that FAQ response.

Greg
gkamysz is offline Find More Posts by gkamysz
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:30 AM
Heathkit DX-100 son of Bullet
United States, MI, Marysville
Joined Apr 2010
1,923 Posts
Greg ,

In our case it isn't about light ends getting out so much as moisture migrating in . Not all plastic containers are equal . Alcohol has a much higher affinity for water than does gasoline .

The containers I am talking about were 25+ years ago . They may have come a long way since then . Nothing to argue about for me , I have seen it happen first hand .
Gary Cee is offline Find More Posts by Gary Cee
Old Aug 16, 2012, 12:23 PM
The Prez....... again
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
3,809 Posts
Concrete is actually quite porous, at least to water vapor. That is why it's a good idea to put plastic under a concrete floor used in a living space.

Ken
kenh3497 is offline Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FAA & Model avaition