Old Jun 18, 2012, 08:14 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,931 Posts
Discussion
ALES Audio Files

Guys,

I'm going to start posting some audio files on the ALES League website that can be used to help run your contests.

The first one is a 10 minute task window with a 5 minute countdown (14.1MB). This is very close to what we used at Polecat (with a new voice) and it worked great, keeping 46 pilots moving all weekend. We simply turned the repeat mode on in Windows Media Player and let it run on its own.

This file gives a countdown to the launch window starting at 5 minutes before launch, with a warning every minute, then at 30 seconds, 15 seconds and a 10 second countdown to the buzzer. The 10 second launch window starts at the beginning of the first buzzer and ends at the end of the second buzzer. There is also a countdown between buzzers so you know when the end of the launch window is coming. After the second buzzer, it's silent for 10 minutes and 15 seconds and then announces "task complete".

Feel free to download and use as you wish. In the future, I'll be adding some round and group announcements which can be tied together with this file in a playlist.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 19, 2012, 12:42 AM
MrE
United States, WA, Gig Harbor
Joined Aug 2007
2,005 Posts
Thanks Randy!!
MrE is online now Find More Posts by MrE
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,931 Posts
I just posted round and group announcements on the website. These can be combined with the 10 minute task announcement in a Playlist in Windows Media Player.

I recommend repeating the group and round announcements since the first time will get the pilots' attention and the second time they'll listen. Here's how a Playlist may look:

Round 1
Group 1
Round 1
Group 1
ALES - 10 minute task with 5 minute countdown
Round 1
Group 2
Round 1
Group 2
Round 1
Group 3
Round 1
Group 3
Round 2
Group 1
Round 2
Group 1
etc.

Randy
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:25 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,931 Posts
I just posted an ALES practice file on the League website. It gives a 15 second countdown, a start beep, announcements at every minute up to 8 minutes, every 15 seconds up to 9 minutes, every 5 seconds up to 9:50 and then every second until the 10 minute beep.

This is a count up version, i.e. the times announced are like you're reading them right off of the stop watch. For those who prefer it, I'll make up a count down version and post it later.

To use as a practice aid, simply copy the file to your mp3 player or phone.

Randy
Old Jul 06, 2012, 08:05 PM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,931 Posts
The count down version of the ALES practice file has been posted to the website.

Randy
Old Aug 14, 2012, 08:51 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,931 Posts
FWIW, we used these audio files to run the Nats ALES and ALES Over Addison and they worked very nicely. At both contests we set up a playlist so we could just press play and the contest would basically run itself, announcing the rounds and groups automatically.

The Nats did bring up one issue, and that is that my round announcements only go up to round 10 and on day 2 they wanted to continue where we left off on day 1 instead of starting over again at round 1. So, in the near future I'll be adding round 11 through round 20.

Randy