HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:42 PM
Member 120mph Club
New Bern, North Carolina, United States
Joined Oct 2004
12,444 Posts
Discussion
Great, lead story on Foxnews is FPV!

I love how we are now flying "drones"....

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2012/...ment-agencies/
ATIS is offline Find More Posts by ATIS
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: maxford Nieuport 1/5th Scale
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:57 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Why is this news grrr. Its a hobby nothing more. We need to start differeniating the hobby and stop using the word drone as its very techy and intimidating.

Every hobby I choose has some sort of developing hatred by society, (skateboard, airsoft and now this)
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:24 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,200 Posts
I *hate* that they call our planes "drones", as it automatically carries with it in the public mind,
the connotation of spying and these days death and destruction. To me, FPV piloting has
nothing to do with either. I don't want to redefine or expand the term. I just want them to stop
using it when they talk about FPV. If any reporter asks me what I'm flying, I will tell them they
can't use any information from me, if they call it a drone, and I recommend the same to others.

When random strangers make the inevitable comparison between what I'm doing and
"those military drones", I always make a point of explaining why what I do is almost entirely
not like that. I hand em my passenger goggles and go buzz around between the trees
and low to the ground, and explain that they don't really pilot their drones, they mostly
let em fly themselves, and only directly control the cameras. One operator in
a building somewhere in the midwest might control several drones at once in Afghanistan.

All that said, this story was about as neutral it could be, especially coming from Faux News.
They did make one big factual mistake. There are no current FAA "regulations" which govern
amateur modeling. AC91-57 is not a regulation, and thus cannot be enforced as a law,
(as they then claim was done in LA).

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:42 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
All that said, this story was about as neutral it could be, especially coming from Faux News.
They did make one big factual mistake. There are no current FAA "regulations" which govern
amateur modeling. AC91-57 is not a regulation, and thus cannot be enforced as a law,
(as they then claim was done in LA).

ian
Well the reason Faux is so neutral is because their political ideology is
actually pro-drones. So they try to be as nice as possible to drones because
that is their agenda, in this case it just happens to benefit our hobby slightly.

And they did mess up reporting how AC91-57 is a law and how it resulted in
the LA real estate agents getting into trouble. 91-57 is an advisory and as
soon as the real estate people began to use models for profit they were no
longer amateur and became commercial, for which there's a whole stack of
twisted laws and impossible and impractical exemptions needed.

-Blues
Blueshy is online now Find More Posts by Blueshy
Last edited by Blueshy; Apr 01, 2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2012, 09:36 PM
United States, WA, Tacoma
Joined Mar 2012
37 Posts
I wonder how long we will still be able to enjoy this wonderful hobby for. So much for a free country.
evoguru is offline Find More Posts by evoguru
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:20 PM
I Wish I Was Flying...
United States, CO, Littleton
Joined Nov 2006
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoguru View Post
I wonder how long we will still be able to enjoy this wonderful hobby for. So much for a free country.
Agreed. I worry that this freedom to fly these planes in the harmless ways that we do may not last long...

Scott
sdueck is offline Find More Posts by sdueck
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:30 PM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
Not saying fox news is great, but I get a kick how the internet is filled with hatred for it. As though msnbc, cnn or any of the other major networks actually provide unbiased reporting. lol. Please.

Anyway the best thing to do is stay out of the news folks. No is the operative answer when it comes to government. They are not concerned with freedom only control. Anyone that thinks they can "play ball" with the legislators and get a postive outcome hasn't been paying attention to the last 100 years or so.

If the automobile was invented after 1990, it would be illegal for personal use.
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Apr 02, 2012, 05:49 PM
CEL abuser
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2010
392 Posts
Ian, Jimmy and I were asked about our planes, the first question the guy asked was "is that a drone?" "Well if that is what you want to call it, I guess so" What other response is there?
pr0ject42 is offline Find More Posts by pr0ject42
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:00 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ject42 View Post
Ian, Jimmy and I were asked about our planes, the first question the guy asked was "is that a drone?" "Well if that is what you want to call it, I guess so" What other response is there?
If they want a one word answer, then "toy". Otherwise Video Piloted Model Aircraft.
There's no reason we have to make it easier for them to sensationalize.

The point is "drone" carries many negative connotations that will *never* go away, and
what the military and public sector does with drones, is for the most part not related to
what we do with them. We actively fly our planes for the sake of flying, not spying
or destruction. I want them to associate what we do with "harmless fun".

ian
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:29 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
If they want a one word answer, then "toy". Otherwise Video Piloted Model Aircraft.
There's no reason we have to make it easier for them to sensationalize.

The point is "drone" carries many negative connotations that will *never* go away, and
what the military and public sector does with drones, is for the most part not related to
what we do with them. We actively fly our planes for the sake of flying, not spying
or destruction. I want them to associate what we do with "harmless fun".

ian
We need to come up with a new descriptive word. When I say FPV people are like what?? and first person view is a bit generic too.

Birds eye view is probably more accurate, maybe something with the word bird in it as there harmless and small. Drone is such a badass and threatning word and although it sounds cool it does no good for the hobby. It should be a name that requires no acronyms.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Last edited by malcr001; Apr 02, 2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 06:58 PM
my karma ranover my dogma
Edmonton,Canada Eh
Joined Jun 2007
7,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pr0ject42 View Post
I realize you are not asking me....

...but I'd like to say that your first response should have been an emphatic NO!.... it's a toy plane with a camera on it.
galaxiex is offline Find More Posts by galaxiex
Old Apr 02, 2012, 07:31 PM
The lunatic is on the grass
Joined Aug 2008
4,848 Posts
Post Deleted
ridgewalker is offline Find More Posts by ridgewalker
Last edited by ridgewalker; Apr 02, 2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: been advised to
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:45 PM
Live FPV or Die
Montreal,Canada
Joined Feb 2002
3,959 Posts
Most of peoples on this forum do long range flight and many have RTH so their plane have auto-pilot capability. They pilot the plane to get a stable video per example.This is a drone in my opinion, sorry.

Few peoples here fly around trees or install camera in the cockpit to give the feeling to sit onboard the planes, everyone outside our hobby will agree that is very close to standard rc flying.

It will be hard to convince peoples that FPV flynig is not the same as Drone when we can found plenty of FPV video that clearly show a very stable plane that fly far away.

Video-piloting was more clear, I told you many years ago
VRflyer is offline Find More Posts by VRflyer
Last edited by VRflyer; Apr 02, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 01:59 AM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,568 Posts
@VRflyer
I have advanced electronics capable of autonomous flight but more then 90% of my flights are with much smaller models close in between trees etc and I know I'm not alone so I think your guess is slightly off.

But I agree that Video Piloted RC Models is a better term, the other side of this hobby is UAV. I would leave Drone to the military though.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo
Last edited by boopidoo; Apr 03, 2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 02:18 AM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRflyer View Post
It will be hard to convince peoples that FPV flynig is not the same as Drone when we can found plenty of FPV video that clearly show a very stable plane that fly far away.
I think the naming is all politics. It doesn't matter what the actual
definition of drone is or whether or not we would qualify as one. We just
have to stand our ground and never call our rc planes "drones", or allow others
to call what our planes are as "drones." The definitions are meaningless, the
only thing that really matters is the negative connotation with the word, and
that word we need to distance ourselves as far away from as we can.

-Blues
Blueshy is online now Find More Posts by Blueshy