to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:41 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Linfoot View Post
I made a little progress tonight, you can see it in the photos, the first picture is what the plane looked like after the dog ate it, and the rest of the pictures are the progress of the rebuild.

I managed to do a better job of getting that decal installed correctly this time on the top front of the cowl in front of the windshield.

just for the record, that decal is supposed to simulate duct tape.

During WWII those panels on the top of the cowl used to work loose and the screws would pop out, and replacement parts at the time were limited on the battle front so the quick easy fix was to cover the panels with duck tape to hold them down and that is exactly what that decal is supposed to represent.

the Corsair with the number 86 was not the plane that Major Boyington flew, #86 was the plane chosen by the army air core for his photo shoots, that's why you always see him with that plane.

the plane he preferred to fly into combat was the oldest plane in his fleet at the time, #883

because #86 was the newest plane in the fleet, and had not seen a lot of combat, it was a very clean intact aircraft, therefore the duct tape wasn't used to hold the panels on in front of the windshield, that's why it's not seen in any of the photos.
(Insert angels singin here) Nice work resurrecting her! Cant wait to see how she flies. Btw - i will have to replace the wing on the corsair i just bought (used) how hard will it be?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Jul 28, 2012, 06:47 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup View Post
Btw - i will have to replace the wing on the corsair i just bought (used) how hard will it be?
Whichway, if I can do it, ANYBODY can do it!! I am NOT the "handy dandy" guy. But I followed John's video step by step and my Corsair came out fine!! Did you already see this:

HorizonHobby.com How To - UM Corsair Wing Replacement Pt 1 (11 min 30 sec)

HorizonHobby.com How To - UM Corsair Wing Replacement Pt 2 (4 min 5 sec)

Remember to be careful removing the wing from the fuse!! Good luck!
rcoconut is offline Find More Posts by rcoconut
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Perfect! Thanks!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:54 PM
United States, MD, Potomac
Joined Oct 2010
320 Posts
Some shots from today. My friend didn't have a zoom lens so it can be a bit blurry.

Corsair on your six!

Carrier landing anyone?
mkcp40 is offline Find More Posts by mkcp40
Old Jul 29, 2012, 01:46 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Jan 2008
1,787 Posts
nice shots!
seeingeyegod is offline Find More Posts by seeingeyegod
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:40 AM
Lansdowne, Pa
Joined May 2010
233 Posts
Great pics, especially pic #4.
akozols is offline Find More Posts by akozols
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
+1 (insert many zeros here). REALLY nice shots, you can hardly tell its a micro.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 29, 2012, 04:37 PM
Is it Friday yet?
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Jun 2008
690 Posts
I like the head on shots.
DropTank is offline Find More Posts by DropTank
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:08 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Great pictures!! And your servo covers look really good!!!
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:25 AM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,421 Posts
I ended last season's flying with a pretty weak motor. I have been wanting to try the slightly longer but same diameter motor used in the Horizon Hobby Blade mSRX helicopter. It is quite a bit stronger than the Blade mSR helicopter motor that seems to be the same as the Corsair motor.

Has anyone tried that motor upgrade?

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jul 30, 2012, 11:42 AM
Tossing planes into the snow
Canada, BC, Smithers
Joined Nov 2011
2,868 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgestner View Post
I ended last season's flying with a pretty weak motor. I have been wanting to try the slightly longer but same diameter motor used in the Horizon Hobby Blade mSRX helicopter. It is quite a bit stronger than the Blade mSR helicopter motor that seems to be the same as the Corsair motor.

Has anyone tried that motor upgrade?

John
I spent a bit of time on the MSRx thread for just this reason. I don't have one of those but do have an MSR. I don't remember hearing about more power, but they are saying that it is no more reliable than the old 8.5mm motors. It still might be worth a try if there is more power. You would have to change the pinion gear. Helicopters have 8 teeth and UM planes have 9 and you can't mix and match.
Jovanx is offline Find More Posts by Jovanx
Old Jul 31, 2012, 05:49 AM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
I didn't get much done tonight, because I was working on fixing the beast that I crashed ..

but very little step helps, so tonight I got the horizontal stabilizer glued on. I'll do the rudder after I get the tail wheel attached, then the rest of the radio gear.

I already tested out the wing servos with the covers on them, there's no binding at all, (the last rebuild they bound up, plus the rudder servo wasn't working)

so this should fly even better then the last
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot
Old Jul 31, 2012, 10:41 AM
Do you see what I see?
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Joined Sep 2006
1,661 Posts
Good to hear, I FINALLY ordered my set of micro Stryker covers. The other 2 will go on the micro MiG 15!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 12:53 PM
build, fly, crash, repeat ...
Oregon
Joined Jan 2004
1,923 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut View Post
Good to hear, I FINALLY ordered my set of micro Stryker covers. The other 2 will go on the micro MiG 15!
I did the same thing, they come in sets of 4, so 2 went to the corsair, and I got 2 more for the new beast airframe, I got some used ones somewhere that I was going to put on the beast I'm flying now, that poor plane is getting trashed kinda quickly
Stuart Linfoot is offline Find More Posts by Stuart Linfoot