HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 21, 2010, 05:53 PM
Brookfield, IL
Joined Aug 2009
40 Posts
Discussion
Art tech Miniwolf

Does anybody have this heli ? cant seem to find any info on it other then the video on BH . Looks to be good and stable . I ordered one to mess around with. this will be my first heli. http://www.bananahobby.com/2030.html . ( I hope that is the page Im not to good with this computer thing)
JET747 is offline Find More Posts by JET747
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:05 AM
Joined Aug 2008
106 Posts
I posted here awhile back about Art-Tech helis as I was interested in their Hughes S300 6-chanel heli. I like the look of scale helis myself. The replies were not all that favorable in regards to their quality. Despite the replies I still may get this heli one day especially since Bannana Hobby has replacement parts for Art-Tech helis. I feel thats an important issue with any heli purchase, in that you can at least get replacement parts for them. I have a Heli-Max Axe CX Micro which is a scale bodied S300 heli. It doesn't get the best reviews either but its still a decent flier and fun to fly. The heli you ordered has a cool look to it and if you like it then have fun, thats whats most important. The price isn't too bad either. Learn from it and as you get better at flying, get another and another and another, LOL. This is an adicting hobby so enjoy.

Mike
ferret dad is offline Find More Posts by ferret dad
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:11 AM
Brookfield, IL
Joined Aug 2009
40 Posts
Maybe I will do some kind of review on it just in case someone is looking to buy one. Pete kind of sold me on this one as he has on jets in the past. allready had number 2 in mind http://www.bananahobby.com/2040.html but I will see how this first one from BH goes. Ferret dad I also like scale looking helis ( I have a problem I love anything that flies). Could you recomend a good scale heli similar to the second heli I posted price, size,??
Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:33 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JET747 View Post
Maybe I will do some kind of review on it just in case someone is looking to buy one. Pete kind of sold me on this one as he has on jets in the past. allready had number 2 in mind http://www.bananahobby.com/2040.html but I will see how this first one from BH goes. Ferret dad I also like scale looking helis ( I have a problem I love anything that flies). Could you recomend a good scale heli similar to the second heli I posted price, size,??
See this one?
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=8088
How similar does that look to the one in your link?

Consequently, the good, scale looking one similar to your link would be this one:
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=8089

... or, if you want to get the optical impression even more scale ... how about this?
http://www.xheli.com/50h28-madhawk300-black-lcd.html

erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014
Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:24 PM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
The Banana Hobby Air Hawk is actually a CB180Z...see here:
http://www.xheli.com/walkeraheli-cb180z-rtf.html
you will notice the shaft driven tail... with a brushless motor and 3 axis gyro its a nice flying machine.

A newer design is available in that size and very exciting the V200D01 or V200D02
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=9605
or
http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=9709
exciting to fly they have NO flybar, while all of the others we mentioned have a 45deg flybar.

My first real CoAx was a BlitZrc/Art Tech MD500 it did and still does fly very well I have no complaints about BH.
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Last edited by Pontiaddict; Aug 23, 2010 at 09:36 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 06:28 PM
Joined Aug 2008
106 Posts
All the helis that Pontiaddict and erdnuckel2 refer to are single rotor/tail rotor types. The one you say you bought is a coaxial and easier to fly than these. I have three coax helis and not quite ready to move up to a fixed pitch or colective pitch single rotor heli just yet. Nothing against the ones shown at all tho.

For a scale heli I have the MCX S300 which is now discontinued but it may be around on some sites, not sure. Its a very good flier and only about 6" in length. The Blade MCX2 has sorta a scale looking body and is one of the best coax's out there. The next one I want to get is the Nine Eagles Bravo III which is also a coax and has a scale body in both blue and white or camo colored. Its about 8" in lentgth. The reviews on these are very favorable and its under $90.00 as well.

Good luck,
Mike
ferret dad is offline Find More Posts by ferret dad
Old Aug 22, 2010, 08:13 PM
Brookfield, IL
Joined Aug 2009
40 Posts
I did order the miniwolf it will be here tuesday afternoon . Post 3 of this thread is the heli that I am already eyeballing for my next one, and those guys were just leting me know of similar helis. Thank you all for your help. I will post a review of the mini wolf on wed.
Old Aug 22, 2010, 09:46 PM
MicroHelis-Humanoid Robotics
Joined Jul 2007
233 Posts
here's its thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1217598

for me it looks like a really cool heli, I just wonder why it has so little reviews/videos, should compare to the coming soon Esky Nano.
looking forward to the review of the mini wolf!
PicooMan is offline Find More Posts by PicooMan
Old Aug 23, 2010, 07:54 AM
Brookfield, IL
Joined Aug 2009
40 Posts
Thanks picco man, Im just going to do the review on this thread . There was not much mentioned on that thread.
Old Aug 25, 2010, 09:49 AM
Brookfield, IL
Joined Aug 2009
40 Posts
So the miniwolf arrived today BH shipping dept. forgets to send the spare battery I ordered with the heli . Oh well i spoke with customer service and they told me they would send one right away. So the Miniwolf shows up double boxed very nice.

First look- I unpack the miniwolf and realize very quick that this heli is probably not going to last very long in my house (i like to fly fast and hard). Just holding the heli in my hand I could tell that the quality of this miniwolf is no better then a heli you can purchase at walmart for $20.. The plasic landing gear feel very cheap and flimsy, and the tail supporting bars are both pulled out of the landing gear. Easy fix just a drop of glue on each of the tail supporting bars (at this point I say to myself wow im already fixing this thing and it hasnt even been flown). So I plug in the included wall charger and plug in the battery, in the meen time I get out the included flight sim disc I install it on my computer. Very basic flight sim I think it was 2 helis and 4 airplanes . So that kept me busy for 20 min while the battery charged. ok green light on charger, battery ready to go. Now for the moment of truth....

First flight- So installing the battery ,its a very tight fit and thats ok but while inserting it the tail supporting bar pops off oh great here i am fixing the same part again and have not even flown it. Drop of glue ready to go. So I turn on transmitter then plug in battery to heli wait about 15sec and nothing. I try this process about 3 more times , nothing. So last chance before its boxed up and sent back I plug in battery on heli first then turn on transmitter
wait 5 sec and im in buisness. hmmm I always turn my futaba transmitter on first and my airplane second ,so this was kind of new to me. (are all helis like this ,heli on first then transmitter??) Well everything seemed to operate correctly so i powered it up and away it went. It only needed maybe a third throttle to get off the ground and you can very easily hover this thing with very little effort. Now I have been flying RC airplanes for 3yrs (and by no meens an expert)and in that 3yrs I have flown trainers, sport,pusher prop profile and full edf foam jets. Most of the time I use very little rudder except on cross wind landings or knife edge passes, but moving into helis that rudder channel or heading channel is very important. After getting the hang of the rudder channel I had this heli ripping around the house like a pro, spot landing on anything. So I found a spare battery (350mah)laying around that had the same connector I charged it up. This is a smaller battery then the one that came with so it fit nicer in the battery bay. I had to shim this smaller battery with a piece of cardboard so it held in place. I power up and I honestly think that it flies faster and better with this smaller and lighter battery. I did get about 6 to 8 min on stock battery and 5 to 7 with the smaller one depending on how I was flying. Now that I was cocky i decieded to take it in the smallest room in my house 9ftX10ft with the lights off (forgot to mention this heli has 2 lights ,flashing red on top and bright white light on front). power on and I had this thing doing forward and backwards circuits in the dark in a very small room. So after doing that for a while I wanted to fly faster and faster and ended up hitting the wall pretty hard. You guessed it the same part I glued twice already, had broke again along with the cheap plastic landing gear. im going to glue it all back today but I also ordered new from bh for only a few dollars.

Hits- lights on heli for dark flying (just makes it a little more intresting)
comes with extra set of blades
comes with simulator (good for beginer)
flies great very easy to controll ,very easy to hover
Great heli for beginer
Parts availible
4ch

Misses-
Cheap plastic landing gear (at $70. make it carbon or metal)
Tail supporting bar broken when delivered and need to be glued after you hit anything.
Didnt recieve the extra battery I ordered (luckily I had the 350mah)
just feels very delicate
Hard to work on if you have big fingers

So although I enjoy flying this heli I think I am more in the market for something I can do mild aerobatics at least loops. I think this is going to be my first and last coax heli. Im ready for something a little bigger , that I can take outside and throw around the sky. Any recomondations??
Old Aug 28, 2010, 07:30 AM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
received mine yesterday, and it flies great right out of the box. Moving up from 3 channel and wanted something to learn 4 channel on, and this seems to be just the ticket. 1st flight run time was long, 9-10 mins. Very stable, and once I got used to the 4 channel controls it is really fun to fly. Crashed it hard once, but their is no damage. A little bigger than the mcx2 but easily flyable indoors even in a small area.Hope that it holds up well. Reasonable price, and no problems with Banana Hobby.
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper
Old Aug 28, 2010, 02:56 PM
Pontiac my other Obsession
USA, FL, Apopka
Joined Jul 2010
719 Posts
@jet747
Thanx for the nice review...

In the video demo on the BH site "Pete" really liked the landing gear setup saying it seemed indestructible, but you find it "cheap"...? do you still feel that way about it after having it awhile now?
Hows it holding up? still hanging tough?
Pontiaddict is offline Find More Posts by Pontiaddict
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:21 PM
Brookfield, IL
Joined Aug 2009
40 Posts
pontiaddict, I have repaired the landing gear many times, I have also ordered another set for $4.00 .I ordered a few other replacement parts and my total was only $12.00 so parts are very availible and very cheap. I fly this thing really hard guys(for what it is ) and when it hits something its a pretty good lick. Im really looking for a challenge and I am considering a 400 size cp heli. I cant believe I over looked the helis when I got into RC. Time to sell some planes.
Old Aug 29, 2010, 06:26 PM
Brookfield, IL
Joined Aug 2009
40 Posts
btw- I recieved the battery they forgot to send within a week with no problems or questions asked. Found there customer service to be quite fine despite all the bad reviews.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 02:02 PM
Joined Aug 2010
241 Posts
Mine bit the dust-- will not lift just spins around on the ground--tried adjusting the trim and also the gyro but didnt work. Talked w/bannana hobby on chat--they said ck screws, one screw that connects servo arm to swashplate had stripped out the plastic on the swash. Very cheaply made--will order new swash and see--although screw wouldnt pull out and it held servo rod in place, they said if it doesnt tighten completely it will cause problem. Anybody have a comment on this?
bostomper is offline Find More Posts by bostomper