Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 20, 2011, 11:28 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,918 Posts
Also:

*Keep the plane flying in front of you, do not let it get behind you, it's easy for a beginner to lose orientation pivoting to keep sight of the plane.
*Fly with the sun to your back, it's not good to get blinded.
*Double check the balance/center of gravity when the battery is installed. A good place to start is with it located at the opening where the ESC wires enter the fuselage. Slightly nose-heavy is best for the first flights, you can bring it back little by little to introduce more pitch maneuverability in later flights. A tail-heavy plane is a nightmare for a novice.
fredmdbud is online now Find More Posts by fredmdbud
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2011, 05:27 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Well my maiden flight went more like a ships christenning. I removed the wheels so I went to hand launch into the wind. I had the throttle just between 2/3 power and full power but before I was able to take control of the plane it had already clipped into the ground losing a wing. I set the wing back and it's hardly noticable. Then I dailed back in the servo to rest at nuetral since it was a little off after absorbing some impact on that wing side. I am thinking the wind might have been a little much today. I will see what the conditions are like tommorrow. Talk about a big whomp whomp! I am determined to get this things in the air now. I going for runway take off next go around.
gulfsurfer101 is offline Find More Posts by gulfsurfer101
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:04 PM
Team Wack-a-Mole
Maryland
Joined Oct 2008
8,437 Posts
yea, hand launching an EDF can be hit and miss. Some have the wing loading to do it and some do not. I've seen people hand launch some F4 and F16s before. I've done an Airfield F16 70mm and an A4 64mm before. Sometimes you throw it and accidently give it a spiral so it rolls right. I've been working on using my left hand. Its not as healthy as a throw but I don't spiral it and my right hand is on the sticks from the beginning. Toss it out and only slightly pitched up or it will stall. Good luck with the next try.
Melnic is offline Find More Posts by Melnic
Last edited by Melnic; Oct 03, 2011 at 03:01 PM.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:07 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,918 Posts
100% throttle at launch, preferably into the wind, between 30 and 45 degrees nose up - remember that the plane will not have much airspeed after it leaves your hand. Avoid letting your fingers add "spin" to the plan as it leaves your hand, give it even release from all fingers.
Old Apr 21, 2011, 06:23 PM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
Yeah I'm going to try and launch it off the runway next time. The gates to get to the field had been locked due to maintaince from what it looked like so I went to launch it from a feild nearby. There were some gust that were pretty strong. It's usually really calm before noon and this morning was perfect. I just got out too late. I'll try and hit early tommorrow.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:01 AM
Joined Apr 2011
10 Posts
I have yet to fly this jet. I wanted to put on an air show for the kids during the easter weekend but we were under a strong wind advisory all weekend long. It finally has died down to practically zero today and my car is in the shop so I can't get down to the field. I have gotten really good on sim though and feel confident enough now to take that first flight.
Old May 10, 2011, 02:50 PM
I like them a bit tail heavy
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfsurfer101 View Post
I have yet to fly this jet. I wanted to put on an air show for the kids during the easter weekend but we were under a strong wind advisory all weekend long. It finally has died down to practically zero today and my car is in the shop so I can't get down to the field. I have gotten really good on sim though and feel confident enough now to take that first flight.

Dude, You have never flown a plane before and this is your first one?

I know you are going to do it, but if all your experience it on a SIM up to this point, bring your tape and glue ....Not trying to be harsh on ya bro, that is just reality!
tdab is offline Find More Posts by tdab
Last edited by tdab; May 10, 2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old May 10, 2011, 02:54 PM
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,434 Posts
Quick question on the AF/F18C Kit ONLY

Guys, Can anyone confirm that the 64mm fan comes with the Kit only (air-frame only) version of the AF F18C from Nitroplanes?

I just ordered one from NP and need to put together all the other gear....Do I need a fan (or just hopefully use the one in the kit version)...I know that it will need balancing...

Thanks for any insight you guys can give...

Tom
Old May 10, 2011, 04:47 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab View Post
Guys, Can anyone confirm that the 64mm fan comes with the Kit only (air-frame only) version of the AF F18C from Nitroplanes?

I just ordered one from NP and need to put together all the other gear....Do I need a fan (or just hopefully use the one in the kit version)...I know that it will need balancing...

Thanks for any insight you guys can give...

Tom
Yes, fan and duct come included in the kit. Also includes motor diameter adapter
Old May 10, 2011, 05:14 PM
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmdbud View Post
Yes, fan and duct come included in the kit. Also includes motor diameter adapter
Thanks much Fred. I just got a combo from "The Don" so hopefully I will be set....Looking for around 600-700 watts on 4s and keep it under 30oz's ....Just hope the Lipos (4s 2450's) will fit...

Tom
Old May 10, 2011, 05:56 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,918 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdab View Post
Thanks much Fred. I just got a combo from "The Don" so hopefully I will be set....Looking for around 600-700 watts on 4s and keep it under 30oz's ....Just hope the Lipos (4s 2450's) will fit...

Tom
You will have to cut into the boxes and hog out some foam get those batteries to fit (lengthwise).
Old May 10, 2011, 07:30 PM
Carolina's
Joined May 2004
1,434 Posts
Quote:
You will have to cut into the boxes and hog out some foam get those batteries to fit (lengthwise).
That is not a problem. I *assume* that the boxes you are talking about are the bulkhead for the front landing gear? This will be a "chucker" for me with no LG....The field I fly at is very tough on landing gear so build most of my jets as belly landers....

Can one of you guys post a few pics of the nose of the plane with the hatch off?

Thanks, Tom
Old May 10, 2011, 09:52 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,918 Posts
There are two identical boxes, separated by a foam partition. Usually the front box holds the battery, the rear one holds the electronics. The front one is also where the steered wheel is mounted.

You can hog through the foam, and cut into the walls of the boxes to create one long chamber.

The boxes also have some structural value.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:06 PM
USA, OR, Portland
Joined Jul 2009
75 Posts
Just finished first flight. Very small trim inputs. Cyclone 64mm balanced fan unit. 2200 4S turnigy nanotec. Cyclone 60A esc, batts in lower slot as far forward as you can. Flew on rails! Best flying jet I have! Great high alfa on landing.

Had to cut a hatch just behind the canopy to have access to rx and servo wires.
skymaster62 is offline Find More Posts by skymaster62
Last edited by skymaster62; May 14, 2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: forgot something.
Old May 14, 2011, 06:33 PM
USA, MD, Frederick
Joined Jan 2010
3,918 Posts
Just realized I should have been paying attention to the thread title. The Airfield F-18 has *no* boxes, everything inside has to be accessed through the cockpit opening.

Quote:
There are two identical boxes, separated by a foam partition. Usually the front box holds the battery, the rear one holds the electronics. The front one is also where the steered wheel is mounted.

You can hog through the foam, and cut into the walls of the boxes to create one long chamber.

The boxes also have some structural value.
Last edited by fredmdbud; May 14, 2011 at 06:56 PM.