New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2015, 11:07 PM
Find More Posts by kurtataltos
Joined Dec 2014
111 Posts
Discussion
Oly II SX Electronics/Power Recommendation?

Good day,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a motor, prop, spinner, esc, battery, etc. for an Oly II SX ??? And anything else I might need other than the radio/receiver? Not looking for low end junk or high end gold plated. Opinions appreciated.

Thanks!
kurtataltos is offline Find More Posts by kurtataltos
Last edited by kurtataltos; Jul 31, 2015 at 11:15 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2015, 10:45 AM
Joined Dec 2014
111 Posts
Hummm.... I guess no one is flying an electric SX. Interesting...
Old Aug 04, 2015, 11:26 AM
Find More Posts by raceskier
United States, WA, Port Townsend
Joined Mar 2005
152 Posts
kurtataltos,

You haven't mentioned your goals for this project. Is this just a fun fly it around plane, ALES/LMR, warmliner (choke)?

As is the situation with many things in life, if you know what you want, you may get what you need. If you don't know what you want, you get what you deserve.

Have you tried contacting Ray Hayes at Skybench with your question? He is very active on the forums here. On his website, there is even a description of one person's addition of a motor to a II SX. (Used a Turnigy 2836/8, a little skinny, IMHO.)

I've been struggling with motorizing or replacing motors in a couple sailplanes myself. If you have the room in the Oly, (I haven't looked closely at one in over 30 years.) a 35 mm diameter outrunner will make life a lot simpler. A Turnigy D3536/9, AE-30A ESC and battery of your choice (again what goals?) will get you started pretty inexpensively. You may need to play with prop selection or reach out to the community here for prop experience with whichever motor you choose.

Good luck!
raceskier is offline Find More Posts by raceskier
Old Aug 04, 2015, 03:35 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,221 Posts
Hi, Kurt. I didn't see your post until now.

My favorite motor, the KDA 22-20L 1000kv is currently on sale for $9.36. $7.00 and change if you remain on the page for a couple minutes. It will safely handle an 11X6 CF prop with a 30 amp ESC on a 3 cell battery (I have had good luck with the HK "Blue Series" ESCs.). It would not pull an Oly II straight up but it would fly.

I have not tried any other KDA but the 30-19 is currently on sale for less than $13.00 and would provide all the power an Oly can take and then some. My guess is that you wold be able to use a 13-14 inch prop on 3 cells and get very good performance without taxing the motor at all. Just to be safe; you would probably want a 50 amp ESC although a 40 might be sufficient.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ner_930Kv.html

One of the really great things about the KDA motors is that they come with all the needed mounting hardware and even an extra shaft. I have not seen a bad review.

You would probably want to go to a 16gram class servo but I have only been buying 9 gram class so I can't help you there. If you do end up shopping at HK I would avoid the metal geared ones unless there's a review stating that they are ALL metal gear. Most of the ones I have tried have a plastic gear between the pinion and the output and the metal gears cut through the teeth like butter. The one that does have all metal gears is the TGY-50090m. They are nice and fast but I'm just not sure that they would handle the big rudder on an Oly. I have two on the ailerons of my foam Yak and they will stall in a high speed dive. I will include a link but I would look for something that has a little more grunt.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...log_Servo.html

BTW. I would avoid plastic props from HK. I had a 11X6 "Precision folder" that broke the very first time I tried it. When I looked closely I discovered that the plastic was full of bubbles and voids that didn't show on the surface. It was sheer luck that it didn't damage the plane or hit anybody. CF blades that get good reviews are probably safe but I figure it's worth the extra couple bucks to get Aeronaut blades from Esprit Models or another vendor. I have not had any problems with HK spinners but it's kind of a chore to figure out which ones will work with different sized blades and shafts.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 04, 2015, 04:28 PM
Find More Posts by cbinfl
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
203 Posts
A question about the HK motor you, Peter L, recommend; where to get a folding prop/spinner to fit on a threaded motor stud ? All I have ever found are collet type folder/spinner hubs ? Thanks for any help.
cbinfl is offline Find More Posts by cbinfl
Old Aug 04, 2015, 04:48 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,221 Posts
Hi, cbinfl.

The KDA 22-20L has a normal, 3mm, shaft that sticks out one end and the threaded adapter mounts on the other. It is also possible to reverse the shaft. The best way I have found to remove the shaft is to drill a hole in my workbench, disassemble the motor including the set screw, set the bell on the bench with the shaft in said hole, and then use a punch to whack it good and hard with a 2 pound hammer. Then one can just tap it in with the end sticking out the other side.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Aug 04, 2015, 05:31 PM
Find More Posts by cbinfl
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
203 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I have had to reversed motor shafts several times, but thought you or someone might have info on a folding prop hub that would work on a stud. Many have the stud center drilled and tapped to attach a spinner, but still use a collet.
cbinfl is offline Find More Posts by cbinfl
Old Aug 04, 2015, 08:19 PM
Joined Dec 2014
111 Posts
Raceskier...just want to go out and dance with the clouds. No contests, no acrobatics, just thermal for the joy of thermaling. I should have noted that. Yes, I sent an email to Ray but he is in an alligator swamp with orders so I understand that he is quite busy.

The SX has a narrower fuse than the S and II, therefore, motor selection isn't an "anything from aisle B" type thing. Peterlngh...the metal/plastic/metal gearing sounds like an accident about to happen. Thanks for the insight! And will look into the KDA's.

There is one SX description on the site for a single set-up but, as always, a single data point is informative, interesting and dangerous at the same time. Regardless, will continue to research.

Thanks !!!
Old Aug 04, 2015, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
909 Posts
I have a S model and here is the motor that I used, the biggest 28mm diameter motor I could find and afford. 28mm is the biggest that would fit in a S model without modifying the nose.
http://www.rcdude.com/Cobra-C-2221-1.../c-2221-16.htm
The SX has a narrower front than the S model? So will a 28mm motor fit in a SX?
I used a Cobra 36 ESC. I run it on a 850Mah 4 cell battery and I believe I use a 10 X 6 APC folding prop.
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Aug 04, 2015, 10:30 PM
Joined Dec 2014
111 Posts
From Ray's excellent site: "The OLY ll SX has a narrower fuse than the OLY ll and OLY ll S. ( The SX electric motor mount former dimensions are 1-3/8" wide, 1-5/8" tall )"

Since I am a newbie at a lot of this electric stuff I thought I would spec out everything I would need from the start, hence the original question. Other than building Oly's and Sagitta's 30 years ago my only actual electric experience has been on a Radian. I'm into my third Radian fuse, second set of wings but the darn things do fly. Lost site on my last flight for about 40 seconds, put in down and right, spiraled out of somewhere and got it back. Luckily. Regardless, I have always liked woodies so l am researching.
Last edited by kurtataltos; Aug 04, 2015 at 10:55 PM.