New Products Flash Sale
Thread Tools
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:26 AM
Sunbiz1 is offline
Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Registered User
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
219 Posts
Discussion
Cheaper Lipos as Good?.

Hi all,

In my search for new batteries, I have noticed quite a few brands at almost 50% less than their competition.

IE: My E-flite battery runs $33, while an off-brand Kinexsis is $19.

Is an E-Flite battery twice as good, or are we paying for the name?.

TY in advance for any input.
Sunbiz1 is offline Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:47 AM
hoppy is offline
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
22,020 Posts
Cheap packs are probably used by the majority of sport flyers.
Try headsuprc.com
Hobbyking.com

and many others from established etailers.

I'd stay away from ebay sources.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 01:15 PM
TreeDiver is offline
Find More Posts by TreeDiver
BrainFart RC-Pilot
TreeDiver's Avatar
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,295 Posts
In my hangar the blue wrapped Turnigy 30C packs are unbeatable.
Price quality is amazing.

And as it is with lipo...you always can catch a bad item. In fact the expensive brands I used in the past where the ones that where disappointing.

Some like the Nano of Turnigy, but I found them very bad. Did try them when they came out, but 'allot' of lack in quality. Recently did purchase (because nothing was stock) the A-spec G2 pack and heck the IR of the pack is higher then the blue wrapped Turnigy.

Of course plenty other good brands out there. This is just my experience / 2cent.
For the record: I used TP, Enerland, PolyQuest, Rhino, GensAce, Kokam, Nano and Turnigy blue wrapped packs over a timespan of more than 10 years being a sportsflyer / (crash pilot).
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:02 PM
Sunbiz1 is offline
Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Registered User
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
In my hangar the blue wrapped Turnigy 30C packs are unbeatable.
Price quality is amazing.

And as it is with lipo...you always can catch a bad item. In fact the expensive brands I used in the past where the ones that where disappointing.

Some like the Nano of Turnigy, but I found them very bad. Did try them when they came out, but 'allot' of lack in quality. Recently did purchase (because nothing was stock) the A-spec G2 pack and heck the IR of the pack is higher then the blue wrapped Turnigy.

Of course plenty other good brands out there. This is just my experience / 2cent.
For the record: I used TP, Enerland, PolyQuest, Rhino, GensAce, Kokam, Nano and Turnigy blue wrapped packs over a timespan of more than 10 years being a sportsflyer / (crash pilot).
Thanks!

Turnigy was another brand I had been eyeballing, you got any 1800 3S 30C's you wish to sell?.

Kidding of course, the new blue wrapped edition is only $20.

One more question if you/anyone would be so kind:

The reason my batteries are dead is due to them being run completely out in-flight...fortunately this plane can land without power.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tester...battery+tester

Would this product help to avoid ruining my new batteries in the future?.
Sunbiz1 is offline Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Last edited by Sunbiz1; Jul 26, 2015 at 02:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 02:33 PM
ggcrandall1 is offline
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Thanks!

Turnigy was another brand I had been eyeballing, you got any 1800 3S 30C's you wish to sell?.

Kidding of course, the new blue wrapped edition is only $20.

One more question if you/anyone would be so kind:

The reason my batteries are dead is due to them being run completely out in-flight...fortunately this plane can land without power.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tester...battery+tester

Would this product help to avoid ruining my new batteries in the future?.
The best thing to help you preserve your batteries is a timer. Many use an inexpensive kitchen timer. My transmitter (Spektrum DX9) has two timers.

Start with a time you know will not deplete your battery. Upon landing measure the individual cells. None should be less than 3.7V. If they are all higher then increase your flight time by a minute and fly again.

May I suggest you read this: http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
Good information on the care and feeding of your batteries.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:23 PM
TreeDiver is offline
Find More Posts by TreeDiver
BrainFart RC-Pilot
TreeDiver's Avatar
Echt, Netherlands
Joined Aug 2003
3,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Thanks!

Turnigy was another brand I had been eyeballing, you got any 1800 3S 30C's you wish to sell?.

Kidding of course, the new blue wrapped edition is only $20.

One more question if you/anyone would be so kind:

The reason my batteries are dead is due to them being run completely out in-flight...fortunately this plane can land without power.

http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tester...battery+tester

Would this product help to avoid ruining my new batteries in the future?.
A good charger is also a good investment. Keep them on storage voltage if you don't fly. The max of full charged packs is here 2 days. After this I discharge to storage voltage. A good charger can do this.
TreeDiver is offline Find More Posts by TreeDiver
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:53 PM
Sunbiz1 is offline
Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Registered User
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
The best thing to help you preserve your batteries is a timer. Many use an inexpensive kitchen timer. My transmitter (Spektrum DX9) has two timers.

Start with a time you know will not deplete your battery. Upon landing measure the individual cells. None should be less than 3.7V. If they are all higher then increase your flight time by a minute and fly again.

May I suggest you read this: http://www.tjinguytech.com/charging-how-tos
Good information on the care and feeding of your batteries.

Glen


There are many things I wish I had known upon taking up electric power systems, dialing in on flight time vs battery life was one of them.

Unfortunately, my new charger does not include a voltage meter so will just add a standard lipo tester to my order.

That alarm would be nice though, certainly simplifies everything.
Sunbiz1 is offline Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 03:57 PM
Sunbiz1 is offline
Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Registered User
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeDiver View Post
A good charger is also a good investment. Keep them on storage voltage if you don't fly. The max of full charged packs is here 2 days. After this I discharge to storage voltage. A good charger can do this.
I just upgraded mine, only didn't wish to spend a ton b/c the second plane will be fuel.
Sunbiz1 is offline Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:05 PM
ggcrandall1 is offline
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post


There are many things I wish I had known upon taking up electric power systems, dialing in on flight time vs battery life was one of them.

Unfortunately, my new charger does not include a voltage meter so will just add a standard lipo tester to my order.

Any charger that does not provide you with: pack voltage, individual cell voltages, charging current and mAh returned to the pack during charge is pretty much worthless. The charger should also have a storage function that will charge up to and discharge down to 3.85V. There are so many inexpensive chargers with those capabilities that it is a shame not to have one.

That alarm would be nice though, certainly simplifies everything.
Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 04:09 PM
ggcrandall1 is offline
Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Registered User
ggcrandall1's Avatar
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
7,200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
I just upgraded mine, only didn't wish to spend a ton b/c the second plane will be fuel.
Electric or fuel, you still have a battery and if it fails you crash. A good battery and battery charger is mandatory.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 06:15 PM
hoppy is offline
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
22,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Would this product help to avoid ruining my new batteries in the future?.
Setting your LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) on your ESC will warn you when it's time to land if a timer isn't available.

What is the brand and model number of your ESC?

Quote:
"The reason my batteries are dead is due to them being run completely out in-flight...fortunately this plane can land without power."
Running out of power may or may not be the batteries problem. What were the pack voltages upon landing? It may be the LVC kicking in. Do you know what it is set for?
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:04 PM
rocketsled666 is online now
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
rocketsled666's Avatar
Joined May 2012
1,008 Posts
LiPo batteries are a commodity item. There are a few suppliers who make cells for a large number of customers, some of whom consume the batteries in their own products and others who repackage the batteries for uses like ours. High volume manufacturing processes produce variation in the quality of the final product. Manufacturers grade their production runs and then price them based on the grade. As a result, lower cost batteries are lower cost because they came from a production run that wasn't as good. It's a statistical thing, the "process mean" moves around some and when it shifts down there are more lower-quality cells in that run. That doesn't mean you can't get good batteries at a low cost (especially if the company you're buying from tests their batteries before selling them) but it does mean you're more likely to get a lower quality battery if you're buying them based on lowest cost...

My experience with less expensive batteries is that they don't last as long and sometimes don't perform as well as an equivalently-rated higher priced pack. I'm not sure it's more economical to buy more expensive batteries in spite of their better performance, but it is safer. I've seen plenty of cheap-o batteries puff in use or under charge. I've only had one or two of the more expensive type show this kind of failure. IMO, less expensive cells are riskier because of the way we use them. I avoid them.
rocketsled666 is online now Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:34 PM
Sunbiz1 is offline
Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Registered User
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Setting your LVC (Low Voltage Cutoff) on your ESC will warn you when it's time to land if a timer isn't available.

What is the brand and model number of your ESC?

Running out of power may or may not be the batteries problem. What were the pack voltages upon landing? It may be the LVC kicking in. Do you know what it is set for?
The ESC is an E-flite 30A Pro SB, V2. There are only a dozen flights on it.

Pack voltages were never checked, these batteries were mishandled/stored incorrectly. One still works for about 5 minutes flight time on full throttle, while the other won't hold a charge at all. It also takes 2 hours to fully charge the somewhat good battery, which was not the case a month ago.

I panicked when the dead battery barely turned the prop, thought it was the ESC again(burned it out back in the Spring and replaced). But then plane flew fine on the second pack.

I just ordered the tester I should have bought with the plane, and 2 new batteries.
Sunbiz1 is offline Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:53 PM
hoppy is offline
Find More Posts by hoppy
Space Coast USA
hoppy's Avatar
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
22,020 Posts
Just checked your ESC and unfortunately the LVC voltage is not selectable so you will have to rely on timing your flights. It works only with a fully charged battery. With a partially charged pack it will run it way to low. The LVC starts pulsing the motor when the pack becomes 75% discharged based on strating voltage.

Fly for 4 min, land and measure pack voltage. Slowly increase flying time till it reaches 3.7V/cell after landing. Anything above that is OK.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2015, 09:18 AM
Sunbiz1 is offline
Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Registered User
United States, IL, Elgin
Joined Apr 2015
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Just checked your ESC and unfortunately the LVC voltage is not selectable so you will have to rely on timing your flights. It works only with a fully charged battery. With a partially charged pack it will run it way to low. The LVC starts pulsing the motor when the pack becomes 75% discharged based on strating voltage.

Fly for 4 min, land and measure pack voltage. Slowly increase flying time till it reaches 3.7V/cell after landing. Anything above that is OK.
I pulled ESC looking for a magic switch last night as well.

I did order one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

Figured for a few bucks it was worth a try. If not, will be forced to use a manual timer. I also bought a standard tester.

Thanks again to you and everyone else who has set me on the proper course.

J
Sunbiz1 is offline Find More Posts by Sunbiz1
Reply With Quote


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Are you looking for a Camera as good as a GO PRO? Jcopter Aircraft - Electric - Multirotor (FS/W) 17 May 02, 2015 05:40 PM
For Sale Are you looking for a Camera as good as a GO PRO? Jcopter Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 0 Apr 30, 2015 08:05 PM
Discussion Lipo Health: Is Battery Only As Good As Its Worse Cell?? jaxflats Batteries and Chargers 6 Feb 02, 2015 08:20 AM
Discussion 2S 4000mAh tx lipo as flight battery - not good for me - good for you? hamburger Multirotor Power Systems 0 Jan 19, 2014 03:41 PM
Discussion Want to move to cheaper lipos which have the same power/life as good brands. LaurenceGough Batteries and Chargers 13 Jul 18, 2008 11:38 PM