Old Nov 11, 2014, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by outtacontrol
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
405 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Avistar Elite

One of these showed up at my LHS the other day and peaked my curiosity. I've owned a couple of Avistars over the years and it's always been an amazing performer, so I was curious about how this newly revamped one would be. I couldn't help but notice a complete lack of information about it on the forums, but I decided to buy it anyway and see how it compared to the old ones. I'll post my experience over the next few days. Does anyone here already have experience with the
Avistar Elite Electric version?
outtacontrol is offline Find More Posts by outtacontrol
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:58 AM
Find More Posts by rammon3
Andover, NH
United States, NH, Andover
Joined Jan 2013
201 Posts
This thread should answer some of your questions. Based on personal experience, you won't be disappointed. One thing I (and others) did find is that it was very nose heavy, but that was with glow power so electric may be different.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739507
rammon3 is offline Find More Posts by rammon3
Old Nov 12, 2014, 08:23 AM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rammon3 View Post
This thread should answer some of your questions. Based on personal experience, you won't be disappointed. One thing I (and others) did find is that it was very nose heavy, but that was with glow power so electric may be different.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739507
Thanks for the link. I had found it earlier, but was curious about how the electric versions were going. I decided to use an Exceed power .46 equivalent from hobbypartz because it happened to be in stock, and at $45, it's about half the price of an eflite power 46. I used HS225's all the way around because they have the same power as a standard servo, but weigh less. I bought a 60amp ESC with no BEC, and I'm using a 4.8 nimh pack for the receiver battery. I'm going to initially fly it with a 4s 3300mah pack, because I have a few laying around, and a 12x8 prop. The cg did have a tendency to be forward of what the manual recommended, but after sliding the battery back a little on the tray I was able to get the cg spot on with no additional weight
Old Nov 12, 2014, 08:25 AM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
405 Posts
After the initial flights go well, I'm going to install a Pixhawk autopilot and an FPV system and get this bird flying autonomously, which should be fun
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:50 AM
Andover, NH
Joined Jan 2013
201 Posts
I would expect it would perform just as well with electric power. You will find that this version is much better at aerobatics than the earlier version The airfoil is semi-symmetrical and there is very little (if any) dihedral.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 02:17 PM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
405 Posts
Quote:
I would expect it would perform just as well with electric power. You will find that this version is much better at aerobatics than the earlier version The airfoil is semi-symmetrical and there is very little (if any) dihedral.
The Avistar has always had a semi-symmetrical airfoil, that was its claim to fame. It always flew more like a sport plane than a trainer.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 06:34 AM
Andover, NH
Joined Jan 2013
201 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by outtacontrol View Post
The Avistar has always had a semi-symmetrical airfoil, that was its claim to fame. It always flew more like a sport plane than a trainer.
I never owned one of the earlier ones. I was under the impression the the "Elite" had a different airfoil. Quote from the review article on this website......

Quote:
A major component to the Avistar Elite is the wing. This is the heart of this plane as it differs from the Hobbico Avistar .40 II being both semi-symmetrical and with less dihedral. Both the Avistar Elite and its predecessor the Avistar have cambered wing tips, but the Avistar has a flat bottom airfoil.
I don't think that the original had the flaps option, which is a nice improvement. Unfortunately, my Avistar met it's demise a few weeks back. Totally my fault as I got got a bit carried away practicing outside maneuvers and flew it into the woods (dumb thumbs). Now that the leaves are gone from the trees, the search party will be out this weekend. I hope I can at least get the engine back. It ran great (OS 46AXII). Good luck with yours.
Last edited by rammon3; Nov 13, 2014 at 06:50 AM.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 04:32 PM
Find More Posts by scottc39
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,702 Posts
I had one when they first came out, I had about 10 flights on it but sold it as it was to mild for y flying, but iam now interested in it again, mine was set up with a 46 size more and I did try 4 cell but the plane is a tad heavy so I upped the cells to 5 and it fly strong then, the cg was easy to deal with by moving the battery back , it was a good flying plane to.
scottc39 is online now Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Nov 15, 2014, 08:02 PM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
405 Posts
Quote:
I never owned one of the earlier ones. I was under the impression the the "Elite" had a different airfoil. Quote from the review article on this website......

I don't think that the original had the flaps option, which is a nice improvement. Unfortunately, my Avistar met it's demise a few weeks back. Totally my fault as I got got a bit carried away practicing outside maneuvers and flew it into the woods (dumb thumbs). Now that the leaves are gone from the trees, the search party will be out this weekend. I hope I can at least get the engine back. It ran great (OS 46AXII). Good luck with yours.
Sorry to hear about your loss. Hopefully you can find it.

Yeah, that reviewer was mistaken. I've had the Avistar, Avistar Mk II, and now the Avistar Elite, and all three have semi-symmetrical airfoils.

The Elite is a big improvement over the previous Avistars in that it now has:
1) A 2 piece bolt on wing
2) A magnetic removable hatch
3) Flaps
4) Actual Monokote Covering rather than sticky back covering
5) A newly designed fuselage that is more aerodynamic
6) Plug in main landing gear
7) Better construction
8) Higher degree of assembly completed by the factory
9) Purpose built to accommodate either electric or nitro power
and possibly some more things that I just didn't think of yet

The Avistar Elite flies very much like its predecessors did, which is awesome. You can set it up hot enough to out fly most sport planes. I'm very impressed with the electric version. The biggest improvements that I appreciate are the two piece bolt on wings and the big magnetic hatch. I've completed a good 20 or so flights on it now and I'm very satisfied with it.

Now onto the next project. I'm going to put an autopilot in it and use it to go do some surveys.
Last edited by outtacontrol; Nov 15, 2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 05:22 PM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
405 Posts
RC Skydiver

I've always wanted to do this and now that I finally have, I've got to say it's all I ever hoped that it would be. The jumper has his own receiver and servo so that I can open the parachute after a nice long freefall. The figure stabilizes nicely in freefall and actually looks pretty realistic on the way down. The challenge is to get as much freefall time as possible without hitting the ground.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 07:09 AM
Andover, NH
Joined Jan 2013
201 Posts
That's cool! I (and perhaps others) would like a more detailed description of the setup.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 02:37 PM
Find More Posts by Red Raider
USA, IL, Benton
Joined Jan 2005
400 Posts
I really like taildraggin Avistars (I&II) and have a new Elite in the box but it does have one drawback in that it appears that it will be a little difficult to install a set of aluminum main gear to make it a tail dragger.
Red Raider is offline Find More Posts by Red Raider
Old Apr 28, 2015, 01:20 PM
Find More Posts by basser
umpf umpf
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Nov 2008
428 Posts
my avistar elite:

Tacon Bigfoot 46 motor
80 Amp Y.E.P. esc
13x6.5 E APC prop
Turnigy 5s 5000 30c lipo
it pulls 53 amps/ 1050 watts.
woot, my fist plane to get over 1 kilowatt.

the plane has a long nose so balance is tricky.
the tacon motor is huge so i wanted to keep it as close as possible to the firewall.
i ended up cutting 1/2 inch of the nose of the airplane. i also built a new firewall for the motor.

i do have flaps installed.
The plane balances with the battery all the way up against the servo tray. I will have to build a tray or box to accommodate the lipo.

the plane weighs 7.20 lbs. with the lipo installed in the plane, pretty much ready to fly.
the lipo itself weighs 1.54 lbs

i will try to maiden within a week or so.
basser is offline Find More Posts by basser
Last edited by basser; Apr 28, 2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:46 PM
VNE Mach 2
Tallahassee, FL
Joined May 2009
405 Posts
Nice looking bird Basser. I used a separate receiver pack to help achieve the balance point. It ended up pretty far back right where the aft air vents are.
Old May 04, 2015, 10:46 AM
Find More Posts by basser
umpf umpf
United States, NV, Sparks
Joined Nov 2008
428 Posts
i got my avistar maidened.
i had to adjust the engine with some down thrust after the first flight. After that it flew much better.
its a nice flying airplane. it lands with some speed. the flaps really help out on landings.
the 5000 5s lipo is getting me 11 minutes of flight time. very nice.
it looks great in the air...touch and go's are fun too.
im using 10% differential on the ailerons. this gives a nice axial aileron roll.
basser is offline Find More Posts by basser