New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:17 AM
Find More Posts by Horse feathers
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2010
120 Posts
Question
3dhs edge 540 alternative servos?

Im getting the edge 540 48in but the recommended servos are gonna put me over my budget. Can anyone recommend a close option to the recommend hs-65mg? I was thinking o getting these http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d654.html not sure kinda new use to bnf stuff.
Horse feathers is offline Find More Posts by Horse feathers
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by stgdz
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
4,005 Posts
Is saving 80bucks worth risking your airframe over?

Just save a little longer, there is a reason that the hitecs are recommended.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Aug 11, 2012, 10:10 AM
Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Is saving 80bucks worth risking your airframe over?

Just save a little longer, there is a reason that the hitecs are recommended.
The Hitec servos are recommended because they work. I've talked with Ben before about this, he doesn't want to get into people asking him if "X" brand servo, motor, esc, etc. will work in his ARF's..............any size. Their recommended setups are proven and keeps him out of the "you told me this would work" scenario with his customers.

There are plenty of setups that will work just as good, maybe better, whatever that could mean by your judgement criteria. Savox seems to be a brand that is getting good reviews.

I just finished up my 48" Edge and used the Solar servos.

Solar D654 for ailerons
Solar D658 for rudder (you will need to enlarge the servo opening)
PowerHD 2216 for elevator

The flight characteristics are where I think they should be. I have about 40 flights on the Edge now, the performance of the servos has been very consistent and precise.......no issues at all.

I have the Solars in my electric 71" Slick and a 30cc Yak 55.........no issues in these two airframes either.

Time will tell if the servos hold up and perform as well as the name brand products do.

If you haven't read the 3DHS 48" Edge thread yet it would be worth your time to look through it.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Last edited by Capt. Roll; Aug 11, 2012 at 10:16 AM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,159 Posts
I have been using the Solar servo's since they first came out with them, I have them in 5 different sized planes ranging in size from 35" 22oz profiles all the way up to a 70" Slick and have only stripped one when I accidentally jammed the rudder on my 51" Sabre-X putting it in the back of my car. Even then I think if I had just pulled the servo arm off and turned it on it would have been fine, but I grabbed the rudder and forced it by hand when the servo was overcentered and something snapped inside and that was it. Otherwise they have held up well over hundreds of hard flights. This isn't a recommendation, just my personal experience.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Jul 2010
120 Posts
Thanks everyone for your help!
Old Aug 12, 2012, 12:07 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,159 Posts
I just put a set of D658's in my Skywing MXS, I prefer the higher torque and since I run them on 6v they are plenty fast enough for me. This is the third plane I have them in and they haven't let me down yet.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:43 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,159 Posts
I am amending my previous post, on my tenth flight with the Skywing MXS the elevator servo stripped and it nosed in hard and totaled the plane. Now I was pushing this plane very very hard with almost a 70 degree deflection on the elevator and an AUW of about 43 oz. Up to now this is the heaviest plane I've used them in and pushed them extremely hard,but this was the result. No problems on rudder or ailerons. I was also flying them on 6 volts. When I get another MXS I'll still use them except on the elevator I'll be using a Hitec HS85MG, I know that will handle the abuse.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2009
290 Posts
I agree. Save a bit longer and get the hitecs. I recently also tried the savox and they've been good. About same price as hitec but more torque.

I've tried cheap Chinese electronics but at the end of the day the name brand stuff really is better IMO. Especially in high performance stuff. I'll use cheaper stuff on my Sunday afternoon sport planes. But for the 3d stuff I only use the good stuff.

Plus think of it as an investment - the servos, motor, and esc will probably outlast the airframe and then you already have equipment for a replacement.
blueapplepaste is offline Find More Posts by blueapplepaste
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:26 AM
Joined Jul 2010
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueapplepaste View Post
I agree. Save a bit longer and get the hitecs. I recently also tried the savox and they've been good. About same price as hitec but more torque.

I've tried cheap Chinese electronics but at the end of the day the name brand stuff really is better IMO. Especially in high performance stuff. I'll use cheaper stuff on my Sunday afternoon sport planes. But for the 3d stuff I only use the good stuff.

Plus think of it as an investment - the servos, motor, and esc will probably outlast the airframe and then you already have equipment for a replacement.
Good point!
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
580 Posts
Too bad there is not a governing body for the RC industry that could develop and set operational (minimum) standards that the manufactures could "qualify" their products against.

I'd like to see testing data on servos, ESC's, motors, battery packs, matchboxes, power distribution systems/boards, etc. that may possibly show that brand X is superior to brand Y. The established brands have good reputations based on long time performance in the field; however for new companies to try and establish themselves and capture some market share you have to generally buy that business with a low price strategy. Sometimes that implies "cheap product" but not always.

I'm sure some type of a independent standardized testing platform would drive up the pricing but it may be worth it.
Capt. Roll is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Roll
Old Aug 14, 2012, 06:36 PM
Joined Jul 2009
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Roll View Post
Too bad there is not a governing body for the RC industry that could develop and set operational (minimum) standards that the manufactures could "qualify" their products against.

I'd like to see testing data on servos, ESC's, motors, battery packs, matchboxes, power distribution systems/boards, etc. that may possibly show that brand X is superior to brand Y. The established brands have good reputations based on long time performance in the field; however for new companies to try and establish themselves and capture some market share you have to generally buy that business with a low price strategy. Sometimes that implies "cheap product" but not always.

I'm sure some type of a independent standardized testing platform would drive up the pricing but it may be worth it.
Honestly though, I think that forums like these are probably the best. Nothing beats user feedback. Of course some have to be guinea pigs, but for the most part I'll trust the communities feedback over some other testing. Realworld is what counts IMO.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 07:02 PM
Find More Posts by keyman923
Former Futaba employee
Joined Aug 2006
1,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I am amending my previous post, on my tenth flight with the Skywing MXS the elevator servo stripped and it nosed in hard and totaled the plane. Now I was pushing this plane very very hard with almost a 70 degree deflection on the elevator and an AUW of about 43 oz. Up to now this is the heaviest plane I've used them in and pushed them extremely hard,but this was the result. No problems on rudder or ailerons. I was also flying them on 6 volts. When I get another MXS I'll still use them except on the elevator I'll be using a Hitec HS85MG, I know that will handle the abuse.

+1 use the best servo you can afford on the elevator, I really like the Solar servo's but I wish they came with mounting hardware.
keyman923 is offline Find More Posts by keyman923
Old Aug 15, 2012, 05:06 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,159 Posts
I don't fault the Solar servo for the failure, I just pushed it way beyond it's limits. A 43 oz plane doing wot tumbles, snaps, and walls, going 60-70 mph is just too much to ask. I learned the hard way. I was running my elevator at 70 deg deflection, serious stress there. The servo itself didn't burn out, it just stripped.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Jul 2009
290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
I don't fault the Solar servo for the failure, I just pushed it way beyond it's limits. A 43 oz plane doing wot tumbles, snaps, and walls, going 60-70 mph is just too much to ask. I learned the hard way. I was running my elevator at 70 deg deflection, serious stress there. The servo itself didn't burn out, it just stripped.
Sort of goes into my post above, I think the cheap-o servos are pretty OK for the price, especially in not super fast sport planes. It's just when people put these $10 servos in $500 full out 3D planes that you really see the complaints and issues come up.