Old Aug 11, 2015, 05:33 PM
Find More Posts by timritchieblue
Hobbyking whore
United States, TX, Beeville
Joined Aug 2014
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_1971 View Post
Are they aimed at reducing the truck's roll during turns?
If so... Damned hobby! I have already placed three orders in the last 10 days to HK, I cannot go ahead like this!

P.S. are the bars effettive? Roll is quite annoying on this car IMO...
Your miles ahead. HK parts cost pennies on the dollar compared to traxxass parts from a LHS.
timritchieblue is offline Find More Posts by timritchieblue
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 11, 2015, 07:10 PM
Find More Posts by Chubbs
Fly, crash, rebuild, repeat
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Are they aimed at reducing the truck's roll during turns?
If so... Damned hobby! I have already placed three orders in the last 10 days to HK, I cannot go ahead like this!

P.S. are the bars effettive? Roll is quite annoying on this car IMO...
Yup, i've found them to be very effective. Surprisingly so, given the lack of proper mounting points for them.

Prior to the bars, I was running my shocks very stiff to keep the darn truck from traction rolling. Adding the sway bars allows you to drastically reduce spring stiffness and shock oil weight, while maintaining the same resistance to traction rolling.

Since i've added the carbon fiber chassis, the CG of the truck has moved upwards a bit and I think the sway bars are even more necessary. If I could find some stiffer ones, I'd put them on.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs
Old Aug 12, 2015, 11:31 AM
Find More Posts by John Sargent
United States, IL, Aurora
Joined Sep 2007
1,679 Posts
Those bars look great on the car. They are now on my "wish list". Today. I'm expecting a shipment from the International warehouse and another from the West Coast. Like Tom_1971 it seems like I am ordering every 3 days.

Were the EMaxx upgrades, shock and diffs, worth it or are there some equivalent (and cheaper) HK parts

edit: I just ordered a package of 8 EMaxx shocks for $25 from Amazon. That should take care of my shock needs for awhile (I hope).
John Sargent is offline Find More Posts by John Sargent
Last edited by John Sargent; Aug 12, 2015 at 11:45 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 04:09 PM
Find More Posts by Tom_1971
Italy
Joined Jun 2008
462 Posts
I did. I couldn't resist. The orders travelling to my home with Singapore post are now 4... the postman will be wondering which business I have established with the Far East...
I need to stop ordering RC stuffs to save money for the fuel to come home from vacation I'm currently having in south France with my family

P.S. Chubbs: please confirm you mounted the bars with the stock accessories... I don't need to place 5th order for mounting hardware, do I?
Tom_1971 is online now Find More Posts by Tom_1971
Last edited by Tom_1971; Aug 12, 2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 04:50 PM
Find More Posts by hamsterrorist
Should Know Better But Doesn't
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Oct 2013
910 Posts
I run CPV shocks from Banggood in my Trooper - absolutely fantastic shocks, don't leak, and come with 2 sets of springs.

Only 'issue' is that due to their size, I don't think I could fit those Vandal sway bars since the shocks mount to the lower arm where the bars would need to.

Time to put my thinking cap on for a solution...I reckon my only real crashes have been due to traction rolling.
hamsterrorist is offline Find More Posts by hamsterrorist
Old Aug 12, 2015, 06:07 PM
Find More Posts by timritchieblue
Hobbyking whore
United States, TX, Beeville
Joined Aug 2014
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sargent View Post
Those bars look great on the car. They are now on my "wish list". Today. I'm expecting a shipment from the International warehouse and another from the West Coast. Like Tom_1971 it seems like I am ordering every 3 days.

Were the EMaxx upgrades, shock and diffs, worth it or are there some equivalent (and cheaper) HK parts

edit: I just ordered a package of 8 EMaxx shocks for $25 from Amazon. That should take care of my shock needs for awhile (I hope).
I haven't had any issues with the emaxx diffs, had mine on 4s lots.
timritchieblue is offline Find More Posts by timritchieblue
Old Aug 12, 2015, 06:30 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,679 Posts
I installed metal Nitro Circus shocks today and ran it with a 3S pack. Fast!
I also think I finally got the front end alignment correct (the lower fitting was way off).
Next I need to work on steering. I have some big servos with metal gears that I think will fit.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 08:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,255 Posts
Quote:

P.S. Chubbs: please confirm you mounted the bars with the stock accessories... I don't need to place 5th order for mounting hardware, do I?
Confirmed. I mounted the sway bar with the hardware supplied with the kit.

You'll just need a small drill bit, some patience, and a steady hand to get the holes drilled in the right place. They are small, and close together!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 09:44 AM
Joined Sep 2007
1,679 Posts
This is what I'm getting for steering. Not very much when I want to go right. Sometimes the servo does not move all the way initially. Even when it does move, it doesn't turn the wheels very much. Any ideas?
Is the servo OK or need replacement? I have a Bluebird Metal Gear airplane servo BMS servo (from airplanes) that I could try to install. It is 47 gm and listed as "super fast" . 5-6 kg-cm torque .10sec no load

Steering? (0 min 17 sec)

The Hobby King tech guy said it looks like the servo saver is shot. I have a spare one so I'll try putting that in this AM.
Last edited by John Sargent; Aug 13, 2015 at 10:12 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2007
1,679 Posts
I spent a couple hours replacing the servo saver, nothing wrong with it. When I did the alignment yesterday I had tightened the lower ball too tight, binding the wheel. At least now I have experience tearing into the pieces that hold the top side together.......
Old Aug 13, 2015, 01:16 PM
Joined Jun 2012
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Sargent View Post
This is what I'm getting for steering. Not very much when I want to go right. Sometimes the servo does not move all the way initially. Even when it does move, it doesn't turn the wheels very much. Any ideas?
Is the servo OK or need replacement? I have a Bluebird Metal Gear airplane servo BMS servo (from airplanes) that I could try to install. It is 47 gm and listed as "super fast" . 5-6 kg-cm torque .10sec no load

The Hobby King tech guy said it looks like the servo saver is shot. I have a spare one so I'll try putting that in this AM.
That looks to me like a glitchy servo. It doesn't seem quite normal, the way it moves 70%, hesitates, and then starts moving again.

The stock servo in the trooper is known to be very cheap, so I wouldn't hesitate to rip it out and put in something better. I've been using the stock trooper servo in a boat and it's fine in that application, but for an SCT, it's inadequate. Put your bluebird servo in and try it. The specs seems pretty good for the trooper ( a little low on torque, but is probably fine). I bet that solves your problem.