SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 17, 2006, 07:26 PM
Find More Posts by bluekite
Joined Dec 2005
24 Posts
Discussion
SPIRIT OF ST.LOUIS from thunder tiger

SPIRIT OF ST.LOUIS from thunder tiger is a good EP?...
bluekite is offline Find More Posts by bluekite
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 18, 2006, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by bluekite
Joined Dec 2005
24 Posts
I found a site selling SPIRIT OF ST.LOUIS , looks good.
Its a good ep plane?...
http://www.thundertiger4u.com/advanc...eywords=spirit
bluekite is offline Find More Posts by bluekite
Old Jan 18, 2006, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by Grejen
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, North Vancouver
Joined Jul 2002
4,761 Posts
From the picture that looks like a really nice NYP (Mr. Lindberg's designation for the Spirit of St. Louis, it stands for New York to Paris). I have a converted Guillows version of this plane which is very near the same size. Mine is a bit lighter at around 360 grams and I power it with a small brushless. Because the plane has lots of wing it can haul around lots of battery at relatively slow speeds. However, according to reports, the original was a real handfull to fly. Reproductions and most models, including mine, are not better. That big flat wing and small tail means its difficult to control and prone to sever tip stalling. At the size and weight of the Thunder Tiger version it's going to fly pretty fast and that combination requires lots of attention from an experienced pilot.

"Is is a good ep plane?" - That depends on what you want it to do. If you want to fly around a piece of aviation history that presents a piloting challenge, it's a good plane.

I would not recommend any faithful reproduction of this plane as a first or even second R/C plane. Build in dihedral and washout, fudge the tail areas a lot, lighten it up. Maybe it'll fly better.
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
Last edited by Grejen; Jan 18, 2006 at 11:58 AM.
Old May 21, 2007, 02:42 AM
Find More Posts by burkefj
Joined Oct 2006
2,548 Posts
I picked one up on ebay, it was NIB, but turned out was missing both tail surfaces from the factory, I called Ace, and they sent them out in two days at no charge!
I sandwiched ply in front and back of the original firewall so I could mount a stick mount and brushless motor. Only pain was drilling and tapping the aluminum collet mount I had for the brushless(I had to drill and tap the shaft to accept the stock kit spinner retention screw). All in all, it is a very well built kit and very sturdy, all plastic parts are well molded and very strong, probably a bit heavier than needed.

The wing is undercambered and a bit larger than the parkzone cub. My AUW is going to be 14-15 oz with TP 920 or TP 1320 3S packs depending on CG location, and I'm using HS 55's and berg 4L receiver. I sawed off most of the battery tray for weight savings. The multi piece stickers for the cowl actually worked and look pretty good, the decals were nice self adhesive, but had a clear film over them that allowed you to peel off all the numbers together, place them on the kit, rub down, then peel the clear film off, it kept the spacing without having to have lots of clear film between each letter/number. I'm using the stock motor and 20 amp speed control from the
green RC sopwith camel since it was a 370 brushless and a little wimpy for that plane, it pulls 120W with a 9x6 prop, should be fine for the weight.

I was originally thinking of using an e-flite park 370 outrunner but this other motor needed a new home anyway.

Frank
burkefj is offline Find More Posts by burkefj
Old May 24, 2007, 09:04 AM
Joined Oct 2006
2,548 Posts
Spirit of St. Louis Maiden

Finally finshed putting the tail surfaces on and connecting up controls.

I have to say that all three of my TP planes(rare bear, september fury, and this plane in particular) went together exactly as intended and described in the manual and I had no problems with pieces not fitting, etc, which is rare in my experience of about 75 planes. The only modifications I made was to put a cowl screw at the bottom to keep it from moving, and to add a ply sandwich to hold the stick mount for the 370 brushless. I wound up adding 1/2 oz for CG to be on as per spec and set the throws as recommended. AUW was 16 oz rtf with a TP 1320 pack.

I held a bit of up elevator and applied throttle gradually since there is no tail wheel, she rolled a bit(10-15 feet) and lifted off gently at about 1/2 throttle, I climbed out at that setting and didn't feel the need to increase throttle till I tried some loops and snaps, with the CG and throws recommended I could not get it to stall or snap, very docile. I was a bit worried because with the rear struts set as in the instructions, there is noticible twist to the wing, but it provides washout and I measured both wings and they were the same, so I left it as is, I think this is intended and really makes it a docile flyer.

It lands a bit faster than a park flyer(I took off and landed on a running track) nothing rediculous, you just need 10-20 feet of rollout after landing. I think I could probably remove the nose weight based on the flight performance. She is really a pussycat, and in the early morning sun/fog it looked great with the sun glinting off the cowl

I recommend the kit, there is nothing in this kit that is light, prone to breakage or fragile, the fake motor is almost a tough rubber and takes the brunt of a noseover. Struts and gear are all very sturdy, wheels are light and look great, foam is thick and wings/tail is covered with a hard film.I think she probably is best with an outrunner, I'm running a 9x6 and 110 watts full power but she only seems to need about half of that. The stock prop is an 8x6 I think so it might be a bit underpowered with that setup on brushed.

After I just watched Spirit of St. Louis with Jimmy Stewart, this was a great way to top it off
Old May 24, 2007, 09:54 AM
IAMCANADIAN
Joined Jul 2002
4,761 Posts
Good stuff. Nice kit review. Definitly not the same flying plane as mine. I guess that slight dihedral and washout makes all the difference so it's not a wonder most full scale planes as well as models have dihedral and washout. I notice that kit is R/E/T No ailerons? It also seems to be missing the rear parts of the 'wishbone' gear struts. Here's a couple good shots of mine
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=567476
Last edited by Grejen; May 24, 2007 at 10:07 AM.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:01 PM
Joined Oct 2006
2,548 Posts
Yes, it is a pussycat, I guess yours is scratch built? You have a lot more of the scale details, yes not all the strut stuff is there, but it looks great flying and for the $60 I paid shipped I'm pleased with the performance and quality, especially compared to the great planes version, I haven't read about any other Spirit that seems to fly well, so I was happy. I guess yours is no exception to the not nice flight behavior, my dihedral is very slight, but rudder elevator turns it just fine, I don't think it needs ailerons. It's size and controls and flight performance is about like a parkzone cub except it has better power due to the motor I put in, it is a lot more sturdy than the parkzone cub. I like your cowl, is it aluminum or did you use silver monokote and use pencil erasor to "rub" the engine turning on it? I was just watching the movie of St. Louis and they had a scene where they were doing the turning on the cowl with a steel brush, kind of neat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen
Good stuff. Nice kit review. Definitly not the same flying plane as mine. I guess that slight dihedral and washout makes all the difference so it's not a wonder most full scale planes as well as models have dihedral and washout. I notice that kit is R/E/T No ailerons? It also seems to be missing the rear parts of the 'wishbone' gear struts. Here's a couple good shots of mine
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=567476
Old May 24, 2007, 01:57 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Joined Jul 2002
4,761 Posts
Mine is Guillows 'inspired' conversion. Not much Guillows left in it. Wing tip plastic, rear spar and that's about it. everything else is either custom or customized. The cowl is real aluminum pop cans inside out. I cut up 4 cans, wet sanded off the laquer on the inside, then did the turnings with a pencil eraser in a small drillpress. Cut and bent the scale shapes and taped them together from the inside.

You could add the missing gear struts with bits of painted egg carton foam or balsa. Make a couple sets and just replace if they break. I wish the Guillows kit had come with a decent set of fake cylinders like the TT kit has.
Old May 28, 2012, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by shepflyr
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Aug 2011
972 Posts
Just bought this kit this weekend...Memorial Day , sale. LHS owner has one himself and says she flys beautifully. He had it in his shop, so I got a first-hand look at the finished and flying product.

He rigged me up with a rx and esc that will take the Thunder Power 3s 11.1V 1350 mAh 25 C battery I use in my Parkzone F4 Wildcat. He says it will be fine for the Spirit's brushed motor as long as I don't "firewall" the throttle. He does smooth touch'n'gos with his powered that way and says conservative flying will give 8 minutes air time easily.

I always loved this little bit of aviation history and have the Jimmy Stewart movie. Can't wait to start building her and get her into the air and see how she flys!
shepflyr is offline Find More Posts by shepflyr
Old Aug 26, 2013, 06:04 AM
Find More Posts by nagromnewo
umop apisdn - downside up
United States, NC, Wilmington
Joined Sep 2012
1,248 Posts
Hi

I just won one of these on eBay just after I had posted a wanted ad in the classifieds. I also got an email from someone who said his friend had one in a hobby shop. PM me to arrange contact if anyone else is interested.

I don't know why Thunder Tiger discontinued it as you'd think it was a popular subject matter. I downloaded the manual and I can see that the motor that comes with it and the suggestions for radio and batteries are outdated, but they could easily update the manual and sell it without a motor.

Owen
nagromnewo is online now Find More Posts by nagromnewo
Old Oct 22, 2013, 07:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,248 Posts
Finished the Ryan NYP

Hi

My Ryan NYP is ready for the maiden if it'll ever stop blowing...

I made a little box from Dollar Tree foam board for the brushless motor. If anyone needs the stock brushed motor and gearbox, it's yours for the cost of shipping.

Owen
Old Oct 29, 2013, 11:30 AM
Joined Sep 2012
1,248 Posts
Ryan NYP maiden

I finally had a chance to maiden the Ryan NYP today and as others have said, she's a real pussycat. Rollout was 10-15 feet and I flew 2 missions. I have an onboard battery alarm set to a conservative 3.2V per cell, and with the Zippy Compact 850mAh batteries, the alarm sounded after 10 minutes of flying.

AUW is 14.5oz / 411g with 0.5oz / 14g of lead in the nose. I cut away some foam and installed the battery slanted vertically at the forward end of the battery compartment which allowed me to use 0.75oz / 21g less ballast than with the battery in the stock position. I also cut away most of the battery tray and didn't use the servo tray.

Owen
Last edited by nagromnewo; Dec 17, 2013 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Typo
Old Jun 05, 2014, 08:27 PM
Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
10,500 Posts
Guys,

Once again I will attempt to own one of these gems.

Here is my blog!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...0#post28572975

Regards,
Pitts
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 12, 2014, 07:07 AM
Find More Posts by PittSpecial
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
10,500 Posts
Finally received the fantastic scale looking Spirit of St. Louis by Thunder Tiger, a discontinued RC Electric Model.

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 15, 2014, 09:46 AM
Find More Posts by gwinhh
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,762 Posts
FWIW, Lindbergh wanted small tail surfaces to save weight and to keep him from falling asleep as might happen with an easier to fly airplane. If you saw the movie, you know how well that turned out.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh