New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 25, 2015, 03:07 PM
Find More Posts by beach_boy98
Joined Jul 2015
1 Posts
Question
Is this worth buying

I was looking on Ebay for a cheap Quad. I found this kit. I am a tinker by nature so working on it for hours won't bother me.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Axis-250...item1ea01e02ae Any opinions if not any recommendations.

Sorry if i do anything wrong. New here.

Beach
beach_boy98 is offline Find More Posts by beach_boy98
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2015, 06:41 PM
Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
5,891 Posts
If you've built several quads that work before you can make it work. If not you're taking the chance that it doesn't work as sold and you don't know how to mod it to fly. As parts it's a great buy if..... The guy does have a good feedback record. I'd be a bit leery, but I can't counsel against it. Your choice. I don't think it would be a total tragedy because at worst you end up with a good collection of parts.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Jul 26, 2015, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by dacaur
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
10,481 Posts
I have looked into building my own quad twice. Both times I posted in the quads section, and via the replies found that in order to do it "right" I would need to spend as much or more than an off the shelf quad....

I first wanted something small, in the 200-250mm range..... I had a parts list that would cost me $130, which I posted. I was given a few changes which actually made sense to me, but pushed the cost up over $175, so I went to the hobby shop and bought a blade 200qx for $200 (it was on sale)

A few months later, I wanted something a bit bigger to carry a camera and gimbal, so again I asked for advice in the quad secion... My parts list ended up being close to $300 before the gimbal..... Well, the blade 350qx3 is $350, AND has GPS and an altimeter, which my home built quad would not... No brainer there, I am loving my 350QX....

The thing I found about building your own, is its NEVER plug and play. Its not like building an RC plane. You don't just buy all the parts, assemble them, and fly it. There is firmware to update, and control boards to program and calibrate..... In the end, I am happy with my choice to just go with blade quads. They do everything I wanted, well, more in the case of the 350 qx, because I wouldn't have had GPS or altitude hold building my own, with no fussing with it, for the same or just barely more money then I would have spent building my own....
dacaur is online now Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:49 PM
Find More Posts by James_S
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined May 2014
2,087 Posts
I built one on that same frame with nearly identical motors, it works well. It was a lot of work and tinkering to get it all put together and dialed in but I found that to be almost as enjoyable as flying it. If you want full control over the design and want to get your hands dirty and dig into the hardware and software then go for it. If you just want to fly, then yeah, look into the Blade quads, they are remarkably well equipped for the price.
James_S is offline Find More Posts by James_S