New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2015, 05:53 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Idea
Recycled wing - of the heavier kind - dolly launch - MAIDEN.

After few years I really miss my flying wings after sold the last one, due to downsize move. So after some recent fishing around I got hands on nice pair from the large gasser, also managed to get S/H never used 50 size Hacker motor with rather low 'kv' but I'll have a go to match it. The w/span is just over 6 feet/180cm with extended nose and rudder fin, I'm still fishing for from some-ones wreckage. This time I'm joining wings with double bottom fin which will also serve as batt. compartment and hand holder for launch, also will ad to the front of it 2 small wheels to stop the thing flipping nose over while landing. AUW will be some 3-3.5kg, hoping I won't need to make a dolly to launch it like the last monster I built with 20" prop spinning.
jofro is online now Find More Posts by jofro
Last edited by jofro; Jul 23, 2015 at 02:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2015, 02:55 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Finally aligning and joining the wings together with gradual progress building battery, ESC and RX compartment. Temporarily adding the bits together to check aprx. CG position and AUW which will be higher than expected at 3,5kg but still pretty light loading at only 55grams. Just ordered 16x10 and 16x12 props I will use in this set up. I'm not looking forward hand launching it on my own unless I stand high on the headland with plenty of space below me because I have some doubts this low kv motor will have enough grunt to launch it 15-20 deg. upwards, but time will tell. Few more pics of my progress.
Old Jul 07, 2015, 03:24 AM
Find More Posts by nuteman
Joined Apr 2013
1,090 Posts
I love recycling parts of other airplanes to come up with something new.
Yours looks great.
Looking forward to video of the maiden flight
At 3.5 Kg, I'm guessing the stall speed might be high - but you probably have the skill to handle it (I see you fly those fast jets).
I'm used to my 80 inch wing which is just 30 ounces AUW, and I admit I don't have the reflexes to handle the fast stuff
nuteman is offline Find More Posts by nuteman
Old Jul 08, 2015, 03:37 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
I managed to get few damaged rudder fins, but rather made new one for the piece of mind. Hooked up Elevon controls while using 6.5kg servos with some modified linkages for slop free movements. Anything up to 6S, I still use the stock of my old faithful 9ch. PCM RXs than getting new 2.4 ones. I'm still waiting for some new props to see what pull I get out of this motor before some final touches to finish it off like adding winglets to the w/tips to help in rolling circuits at few other flying stunts.
Old Jul 09, 2015, 03:14 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Just about complete with the build, only some soldering to do to minimize the lengths of power leads and few paint brush touches.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 03:08 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Fully complete airframe ready to be fitted out.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 03:04 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Some modification to ESC by adding heat sinks and the new soft drink bottle covel over the motor to make it more streamline. The whole thing looks like a child's toy but while using all recycled parts it didn't cost me a cent.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 02:29 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Much too heavy for safe hand launch so I quickly knock out simple dolly for initial test flights to work out my CG, down and right thrust and landing speed.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:14 AM
Joined Apr 2013
1,090 Posts
I don't get why you need a dolly if you've got landing gear?
Is the flying wing CG calculator not a good starting point for this plane? The geometry is very simple so I'd imagine that what the calculator gives you should be very close to optimal.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Hi, the landing gear is only for landing to stop this heavy model flipping nose over on touch down which occasionally happened to my previous wings of similar size. BTW, 16 size prop is about 3 inches (7.5cm) bellow the wheels. I never rely on CG calculators as every model I build is different and there are to many other factors to affect the actual flying. I always start with nose heavy and gradually move it to most desired position. Regards.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 03:09 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Finally got the props, took 10 days by snail mail. Firstly put on 16x10 pulling 3.25kg on the dolly which easily = 'one to one' in the air. I had 3 goes up and down the strip today at the field in perfect conditions but no rotation to my surprise! Few reasons to be easily fixed.
1 - most likely I made it too nose heavy using 6S/4000/50C.
2 - after lifting tail wheel by 75mm not enough AOA.
3 - dolly/wing holding pins too long.
3 - dolly wheels too small at 75mm limiting roll-on speed off the slightly rugged grass strip.
4 - dead calm condition! No head wing.
By re-setting few of the above I'm going to use smaller 3Ah/6S pack next, moving the CG back. This time she will have to go! Stay tuned!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 02:38 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Maiden today.
Only two words, Absolutely Brilliant!
Taking off from the middle of the strip, hoping the dolly will roll off the end, I got great surprise the model took off/ cleared the dolly in 9 meters into 15km/h Nthly. Controls need some reduction down to 35-40% only, for nice Pattern style flying. (Maiden set at 50%). Plenty of power for verticals so next flight I fit 15x6 to see the difference.
Unfortunately while landing trying to avoid hitting my buggy in the middle of the strip I clipped the uncut portion causing model to flip nose over braking the prop. BUGGER! Next time wiser!
Last edited by jofro; Jul 23, 2015 at 02:56 AM.
Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Today flying the wing in very windy and freezing cold conditions to give it an ultimate test, using smaller 15x6 prop, still with great performance.
Old Yesterday, 08:29 AM
Joined Apr 2013
1,090 Posts
You've got to post video of that beauty flying
Old Today, 02:53 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
3,092 Posts
Just back from the local field, had few more flights this arvo with the wing, runs immaculate but pretty boring compare to EDf jets. Next week I'm picking up 4WD to access few beaches so in the near future I'lI try to fit on board cam to get more interesting footage flying it over the Pacific Ocean. Stay tuned.