New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2015, 07:37 PM
Find More Posts by mtflyr
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,103 Posts
Build Log
Start of DPCM Balsa Morane Saulnier A-I

Since I really like this bird and the way it flies, thought I'd start the balsa DPCM short kit of the MS A-I, then I'll build the Alfa one I have last.

The scheme will be another one that was flown by an American, Sgt. Walter Shaffer MS-1591, Red 11, Escadrille 156

My plan is to cover it in very thin cut Depron thanks to Speedy01 again for supplying the Depron sheets.

I haven't built a balsa plane in over 10 years so I'm not so good at it. Got the wings done and covered, pretty strong and total weight is 9grs for the wings. Got the fuselage done and will cover it with the same foam.

I will again use the PZ P-51 motor and gearbox with an AR6400. I will do elevator and rudder control again since it works so well on my paper model to Depron conversion one.

Tail feathers will be 2mm Depron.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2015, 08:56 PM
Find More Posts by funwithplanes
perplexed genius
United States, PA, Fairfield
Joined Dec 2014
197 Posts
Wow you are on a roll! cant wait to see how this one comes out!

Good luck!
funwithplanes is offline Find More Posts by funwithplanes
Old Apr 06, 2015, 09:15 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,103 Posts
Thanks FWP, I can only hope this build comes out as good as the paper to Depron conversion.

Pete
Old Apr 06, 2015, 10:32 AM
Find More Posts by Lazic
Serbia
Joined Jan 2015
55 Posts
You really love this plane!

I like to see "skeletonized" fuselage! Looks like bigger scale plane!

Where did you order that KIT?
How thin is this depron?

Best luck!
Lazic is offline Find More Posts by Lazic
Old Apr 06, 2015, 01:22 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,103 Posts
Lazic,
How can you tell? Yeah, it kind grew on me.

The DPC WS is 18" TE Wing Tip to Tip.

Got it from Dave at: http://www.aerowerkes.com

It's an excellent balsa kit but keep in mind it's made for rubber band power. I think the Depron skin will give it the strength needed to fly with the e-gear I'm using.

The Depron that I'm using for this was cut by Speedy01,Gene it's about .95mm measured.

Thanks,

Pete
Old Apr 06, 2015, 01:49 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,103 Posts
Speedy01, Gene enlarged the Alfa plans from the kit I bought to an 18"WS for my tissue decals he's making me for this build.

If you look close you can see the DPC wing is slightly smaller with the same span as the Alfa plan. The fuselage is the same. I will use the Alfa plan Gene enlarged to size the 2mm Depron tail feathers I'll be using. I think the Alfa plan is truer to scale than the DPC.

Pete
Last edited by mtflyr; Apr 06, 2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old Apr 06, 2015, 05:12 PM
Find More Posts by speedy01
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
The Depron that I'm using for this was cut by Speedy01,Gene it's about .95mm measured.
Here are some good discussions on foam slicing , foam density , etc.

If you slice 2mm (.078 in.) Depron, you can produce one sheet of approx .05in, and one sheet of .025in, "coincidentally" the same as a good commercially available thin foam that was known as Durobatics . Slicing imparts a slight curl that can be flattened by heating the sheets in a 180F oven between two sheets of glass for 5-10 minutes, same as Durobatics....

As an aside, in my opinion, the very vocally-vaunted, and very expensive Durobatics was "simply" ... sliced Depron! Many lamenting former Durabatic users have lambasted me for such blasphemy.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Apr 06, 2015, 07:00 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,103 Posts
I made the motor and brick firewall mount. I used some sanded thin vac plastic for extra strength.
Cut out the oil and vent holes in the cowling. I'm also going to use paper thin brass sheet for the gun hump and may attach it to the paper kit gun hump.

Pete
Old Apr 07, 2015, 04:18 AM
Find More Posts by R31 Mark
amidoinitrite¿ ¿
Joined Feb 2012
91 Posts
LOL WHAT I bought one of these as well! mine just arrived this morning! Looks like a good model, how did you go about cutting the holes in the cowl? did you just estimate it or are you working off of something? Good luck with this mate, I will be keenly watching.

Before I start on mine I will fiinish off my Fokker DVIII and add my electronics so I can learn the balsa skills needed to do a real nice job of this kit, it is so nice that I wouldn't want to muck it up. Also may I ask what glue you are using to glue the balsa together? I am unsure what I should use as I am not used to balsa, the last time I made a balsa plane I would have been about 13 years old at most I think.

All the best, Mark
R31 Mark is offline Find More Posts by R31 Mark
Old Apr 07, 2015, 06:29 AM
Find More Posts by speedy01
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,610 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtflyr View Post
I made the motor and brick firewall mount.
Nice ... very nice!

Looks like you'll be doing some innovative push-rod-connecting at the brick? did you consider mounting it upside down?

I like that kit in part because of the minimal use of 1/16 stringers (the kind I invariably crack... like on the Guillows Pfalz I started last week).

Gene
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Last edited by speedy01; Apr 07, 2015 at 01:07 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2015, 10:05 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,103 Posts
Hey Mark,
I cut the cowling vent holes out by marking the location by eye first with a pencil and circle template. I then pushed a pin though the center first so it would help guide my soldering iron that I used for the 7 round vent holes. You need to be very careful when doing this though. I quickly punch straight though and back out then wipe the iron before the next hole. For the 3 side slots again did the same only slightly dragging the sharpened tip of the soldering iron to the shape then I used a sanding tip of a small Dremel tool to finish them not easy to do but I got lucky and they came out pretty good.

BTW I also hve the DPC D.VIII and was thinking of doing the same with it but again these planes are light balsa made for rubber power and it's fuselage is way too skimpy to try covering with foam unless beefed up. On this MS A-I, I should have beefed it up for more strength but it's better than the D.VIII.

Hey Gene,

Not a bad idea placing the brick upside down but I did cut groves in the formers for the rods and will be sure to install before doing the final foam covering. Well if you touch these stringers they break! I should have beefed them up. Also I read the plans wrong (have not done balsa in so so long and I used the wrong stringers. I also made a few other mistakes. I really hope the foam helps here for strength like in the wing. We'll see.

Pete
Old Apr 08, 2015, 07:01 AM
Find More Posts by paul_mccaughey
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2012
272 Posts
Nice idea with covering the wing in depron. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I have 2 of the dpc kits to build. I will hopefully get one done for next indoor season. I think they should convert really well. I think they are crying out for printed tissue covering. I am going to trial printed tissue covering and shrinking with an Stevens Aero DV11 to see how it will change/distort the tissue.
paul_mccaughey is offline Find More Posts by paul_mccaughey
Old Apr 08, 2015, 09:46 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,103 Posts
Hey Paul,

Printed tissue is great but over time (years) I don't know how it will hold up. I have foam models over 10 years old that look the same and still fly great. That said Speedy01, Gene and I have done several printed tissue to foam micro RC birds that are still looking great after a few years but the tissue is glued to foam not balsa ribs. For my WWI models Gene has done a fantastic job using skins from the WWI Air Sim game Rise of Flight, ROF. I love the tissue work he's done using these weathered skins.

I started covering the fuselage it's a little harder to do and must be done in sections. The DPC model is great but since it's balsa is very light weight for rubber power (I should have beefed it up) it breaks at the slightest touch. Covering with the foam should really help but I fear any hard whack could do it in. The wing however is pretty darn strong so I have my hopes up for the fuselage.

Pete

Pete
Old Apr 08, 2015, 10:20 AM
Find More Posts by jingjingjing
I love my ID.
Fairfax VA
Joined Aug 2004
697 Posts
Are you guys crying over 1/16" stringer? Try peck polymer zero, I literally broke every 1/20" stringers just by holding it in my hand.

Nice job, I would have recommended CF rod leading edge for Pete's flying style (bumping into trees and hard landing on pavement during test flight phase) but i think it is too late now.
jingjingjing is offline Find More Posts by jingjingjing
Old Apr 08, 2015, 11:05 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
4,103 Posts
You're too funny Jin. But it's why I don't like balsa. I should have used some better stringers and as you suggest CF in the LE. The wing however is pretty stong even for my whacking in.

Pete