SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Yesterday, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by Noircogi
United States, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Feb 2013
2,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFergy View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe terrain following mode is for Pixhawk only, not for APM.
Yes it is. That and the far better altitude behavior (due to EKF) in auto modes are why I replaced all of my APMs with Pixhawks over the last 6 months or so.
Noircogi is online now Find More Posts by Noircogi
to remove ads between posts
Old Today, 12:03 AM
Find More Posts by GLADUS63
France, Limousin, Limoges
Joined Jul 2009
1,372 Posts
Quote:
With my plane, I use RTL with param set to maintain current alt. It will not descend when reaching home. It will circle indefinitely at it's current altitude.

I could be wrong, but I believe terrain following mode is for Pixhawk only, not for APM.
That's what I was thinking, on the arducopter there are 2 rtl altitudes, the current and the final, I whish it was the same for arduplane.

I don't need terrain following, I just want something simple that won't hit a mountain in rtl mode.
GLADUS63 is offline Find More Posts by GLADUS63
Old Today, 03:06 AM
Find More Posts by cmavr8
Chris
The Netherlands, NB, Eindhoven
Joined Sep 2010
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADUS63 View Post
That's what I was thinking, on the arducopter there are 2 rtl altitudes, the current and the final, I whish it was the same for arduplane.

I don't need terrain following, I just want something simple that won't hit a mountain in rtl mode.
If you use keep altitude it should be fine and will circle over you at that Alt. It may be a bit high but does it bother you?
Quote:
Just made a personal distance record with my Skywalker APM plane this morning: 6km on 2.4Ghz!
My 5.8 video was starting to get snowy just when the minimOSD was reading 6000m from home and the APM's failsafe kicked in. There are forests surrounding my flying field so I think I may have just flown beyond LOS and the trees could've blocked the signal, even though I was at a fairly high altitude to try to remain in LOS.
But yeah, 3.75 miles! Awesome!

Fergy
Congrats! Quite an achievement at 2.4/5.8!
cmavr8 is offline Find More Posts by cmavr8
Old Today, 03:14 AM
Find More Posts by iskess
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,568 Posts
Use DO_START_LAND so your plane will not just circle as a speck in the sky after RTLing over high terrain. It will start an automatic landing.
I had my RC handheld fail on me once and luckily I had a telemetry connection to get it out of RTL loiter. Now I use DO_LAND_START so it will RTL to touchdown.
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Today, 05:55 AM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Use DO_START_LAND so your plane will not just circle as a speck in the sky after RTLing over high terrain. It will start an automatic landing.
I had my RC handheld fail on me once and luckily I had a telemetry connection to get it out of RTL loiter. Now I use DO_LAND_START so it will RTL to touchdown.
There's not much info about this option. Can you explain what it does? Rtl and then continues circling while losing altitude and finally touching down? Does it do it all in a circular manner? Will it stop the motor if it lands/crashes?
Old Today, 07:32 AM
Find More Posts by BuBu2
Switzerland, VD, Lausanne
Joined Apr 2014
163 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
There's not much info about this option. Can you explain what it does? Rtl and then continues circling while losing altitude and finally touching down? Does it do it all in a circular manner? Will it stop the motor if it lands/crashes?
More information here: http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/flyi..._do_land_start
You basically have to set the location to land. If you don't use telemetry it has to be set prior to the flight.

I don't use it, because I strongly believe in gravity. Thus I have faith that my plane will eventually go down in RTL circle at the end of the battery life
I simply start the flight from a clear area where it could land anywhere without hurting anyone.
BuBu2 is offline Find More Posts by BuBu2
Old Today, 08:59 AM
Find More Posts by GFergy
New York Highlander
United States, NY, Vermontville
Joined Apr 2012
2,096 Posts
Hmmm...
I'll have to look into the DO_LAND_START command. I've always been content with letting RTL finish with an overhead loiter. Usually I'll resume control before that point anyway, but it might be a fun thing to try. Do you upload the DO_LAND_START command via GS computer on-the-fly, or is it preprogrammed into the APM prior to flight?
GFergy is online now Find More Posts by GFergy
Old Today, 09:28 AM
Find More Posts by flipflap
Joined Mar 2009
1,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBu2 View Post
More information here: http://plane.ardupilot.com/wiki/flyi..._do_land_start
You basically have to set the location to land. If you don't use telemetry it has to be set prior to the flight.

I don't use it, because I strongly believe in gravity. Thus I have faith that my plane will eventually go down in RTL circle at the end of the battery life
I simply start the flight from a clear area where it could land anywhere without hurting anyone.
It once happened that I had to wait for the battery to be empty while the plane was locked in RTL and circling around the launch point at constant altitude.

Well, it was not a super smooth landing, but it finally landed.

The point is that when the throttle is voluntarily set to 0, APM slightly changes the pitch angle (configurable parameter) and this gives a smooth glide angle.

But when APM thinks the throttle is applied, but, because of low battery it's not effective, it doesn't go into a nice glide angle : it rather tries to keep the pitch horizontal, which results in a series of small stalls. It lands, but it's not very smooth.
flipflap is offline Find More Posts by flipflap
Old Today, 09:36 AM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
2,387 Posts
OK that's exactly the kind of info I was aiming for. I'll just say with rtl eternal cycling and rough landing, hoping that I have enough time to change TX battery :P
Old Today, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
Germany, Berlin
Joined Feb 2009
1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmertom View Post
I don't know what a coil is. Can you post a photo of the damaged unit?
I don't have a photo of the damaged power module itself, but please see the intact device below. The part that was dead on arrival is the large one that has 150 printed on top of it.

An attempt to find the schematic was without success.

edit:
fixed inductor with 15 ÁH ?
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...0-1-ND/1555549
Jack_LaLanne is online now Find More Posts by Jack_LaLanne
Last edited by Jack_LaLanne; Today at 02:48 PM.
Old Today, 03:12 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmavr8 View Post
If you use keep altitude it should be fine and will circle over you at that Alt. It may be a bit high but does it bother you?
If I loose video and I'm a bit high, landing will be hard.
Old Today, 03:13 PM
Joined Jul 2009
1,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Thanks for that
Old Today, 05:07 PM
Chris
Joined Sep 2010
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Oops my bad. I judged by my experience, and I've spent too much time in a country where the highest mountain is a 300m high hill :P (Netherlands)
Old Today, 06:04 PM
Find More Posts by GFergy
New York Highlander
United States, NY, Vermontville
Joined Apr 2012
2,096 Posts
Quote:
You could save a mission file that consists of a few way points circling your field at a low altitude. That way, if you ever need to, you could upload it to your airplane and auto mode would bring it down to you.
GFergy is online now Find More Posts by GFergy