HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2014, 01:29 PM
I make bad look so good.
League City, Texas
Joined Sep 2006
2,564 Posts
Discussion
Best 50mm fan

What is the best 50mm fan? And by best I mean highest thrust. I see on your website that you stopped carrying the Wemo Microfan due to availability issues. But you used to offer a wicked microfan package 6000kv if I remember correctly. What were the thrust figures on that? How does it compare to your new 10 bladed 50mm fan?

Thanks,
Steve
SteveC68 is online now Find More Posts by SteveC68
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:27 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
13,280 Posts
The good news is I have a tracking number from Wemotec for a shipment of microfans and a few EVO fans as well. As far as which 50mm is the best. I prefer the Wemotec fan and have yet to achieve the same speeds on the higher blade count fans that you get on the Wemotec for similar watts. The higher blade count fans give you quieter sound at the expense of speed and higher watts. The also require larger outlet diameters. So the 10 blade may give you good thrust, but the efflux speed is lower due to the larger outlet. The Wemotec fan can use a thrust tube to increase efflux so you get more dynamic thrust which gives you more top end speed.

I was never much for bench testing these small fans on a thrust stand because the variation in thrust once installed is greatly different from airframe to airframe due to ducting. What I can tell you is that the 10 blade at ~600 watts installed in my T-45 gave about 24 ounces thrust with the stock outlet diameter. Outside the model the fans was around 21 ounces. For comparison a Wemotec microfan bench tested (the 4800 KV on 4S) with an inlet lip will give about 23 ounces at only 400 watts but once installed that will drop some. So what I tell people is if you do not care about the Wemotec sound then use the microfan. If you want whoosh sound then use the 10 blade Wicked combo. I have yet to see a video of any 50mm EDF beat the Wemotec fan in speed on the same airframe at the same watt levels. The high blade count fans all need more watts to get the same speed.

As far as the Wicked 6000 KV motor. The Wicked 6000 KV on 3S is about the same performance as the Wicked 4800KV on 4S.
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member