HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 08, 2014, 09:14 AM
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
Help!
WLToys v911 upgrade help

Hi all, new guy here

I've been wanting to equip my v911 with a FPV setup and have found all the parts I'd need which come to around 6.5 grams including battery, which the heli can lift quite well with the canopy still on. But I have a few hurdles in my way. Wall of text inbound!

1) The FPV video transmitter is 2.4gHz 50mW so it might have some interference with the 2.4gHz v911. The video transmitter has 4 channels so would it be do-able if I find the right channel? They are 2414 MHz, 2432 MHz, 2450 MHz & 2468 MHz. I can't go to less than 2.4gHz as I'm in Australia and I don't want to go to 5.8gHz because I want to use this setup primarily indoors flying around the house out of line of sight.

2) I found a place where I can get a 350mAh battery that weighs 6 grams (the same as the v911 200mAh battery) but it's a 2C battery. Is 2C far too low for this helicopter or is it safe? As cool as it may be, an indoor mid-air battery explosion is a huge no-no . If the 2C battery is not enough, I can use a heavier 350mAh 20C battery that weighs 8.7 grams. If I remove the canopy and put in the lighter Solo Pro CF main shaft I will have taken out enough weight to compensate for the heavier battery.

3) Because of the added weight of the FPV setup, my flight time gets cut down to between 2-4mins on a 200mAh battery (I added 6.5 grams of weight to my heli to simulate the FPV stuff). I'm trying to achieve 8-10min flight times with the FPV setup installed and I'm fairly sure the heavy 8.7g 350mAh 20C battery won't get me up there (the 6g 350mAh 2C battery might if 2C is ok for the motor), so what if I install Bravo SX main and tail motors? Will the added lift from the more powerful motor help me or will the added battery drain of a more powerful motor outweigh any additional lift I may get?

Or is all this just a pipe dream too complex to achieve?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the wall of text, I try to use as much detail as possible when asking for help

-Pyro
Pyro Rebel is offline Find More Posts by Pyro Rebel
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2014, 10:32 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
10,024 Posts
I am neither well versed in FPV or electronics nor much of a "quad-person" (I tried, it just doesnt want to "click"), so its maybe better to wait for more knowledgeable people to chime in - but to all I know about the 911 and its uses ...

... I would sincerely say it is better to get a small cheap quad. It will be more stable than the V911 and as you dont see what is flying anyway, it really wouldnt matter its no heli.
Quads are simply superior to - especially that small - helis as the V911 for what you are trying to do
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I "JUST" made a blog post ...
Old Dec 08, 2014, 10:33 AM
Im pretty dumb for an Idiot!:)
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Oct 2014
224 Posts
Personally i feel there is better models to do a fpv with then a v911. Adding that much weight to one will most likey put a huge strain on the motor,battery,and esc. Which will most likely result in permature failures. That being said i dont fly fpv. But i would look for a more powerful model to begin with. Or just fly your v911 normal. I imagine a rtf fpv quad would be the cheapeast solution. Sorry cant help more. I know modding your stuff is fun but at certain point you just gotta get a better designed model or its easiser to and most of the time cheaper.
DeAdOne is online now Find More Posts by DeAdOne
Old Dec 08, 2014, 10:51 AM
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
Yeah I was thinking the same thing about the quads but I just love the v911 so much
I still need to know if 2.4gHz FPV will interfere with 2.4gHz RC, because if I was to go to a quad it would be the WL Toys v222 with water cannon attachment and FPV that >: )

But I would still like to know if the Bravo SX motor upgrades for the v911 will help flight times and if 2C batteries are enough for it because no matter what, I plan on keeping my v911 and increasing flight time as much as possible.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:11 AM
Im pretty dumb for an Idiot!:)
United States, CA, Redwood City
Joined Oct 2014
224 Posts
Well pretty sure there is a v911 upgrade thread i would try and search there http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/search.php

Someone should have already posted that info. There is also some fpv threads, those guys should know about the fpv questions. Most the people i have talked to here dont fly fpv or atleast it seems they dont. I never upgraded my v911 yet,but decided that it was better to get alil more advanced and powerful model. I imagine that since the bravo sx motor is more powerful though it will draw more current and lower your flight times,but research this yourself, i dont know for sure. As for the battery i dont believe 2c is enough if that is the correct rating your looking at. standard seems to be 20c from what i have seen for most models. Pretty good page explaining rc lipos http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/rc-lipo-batteries.html.
DeAdOne is online now Find More Posts by DeAdOne
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:30 AM
Joined Dec 2014
4 Posts
Don't worry I did search before I posted, it's the least I could do

None of the upgrade threads I found answer my questions on flight time with the Bravo SX motors or if a 2C battery is enough. The posts I've found are geared towards faster, more agile flying & better wind cutting ability which doesn't appeal to me because I like to fly around the house with areas too small to go fast or I'll crash. I prefer to go slow and keep it controlled I'm a cruiser
Old Dec 08, 2014, 12:01 PM
Joined Mar 2009
10,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyro Rebel View Post
Don't worry I did search before I posted, it's the least I could do

None of the upgrade threads I found answer my questions on flight time with the Bravo SX motors or if a 2C battery is enough. The posts I've found are geared towards faster, more agile flying & better wind cutting ability which doesn't appeal to me because I like to fly around the house with areas too small to go fast or I'll crash. I prefer to go slow and keep it controlled I'm a cruiser
If you know all this FPV stuff, I am sure you know way more about electronics than me.
Here is what I (as a guy with hardly ANY clue) think about the 2C stuff:
The first V911 batteries were 120mah and 15c (to all I know, might have been 10C)
This gave you about 5min of good flight with stock weight. nonetheless this was VERY quickly updated to first 130, then 145 and then 160. And now they have 150 and 200 mah.
So lets play with the "worst case scenrio":
120mahx3.7V is 0.444Wh is I am correct with the remainders of the 8th grade physics class I remember
So you got 0.44Wh and 10C - right? (I may totally embarrass myself here right know, but what can I do ... be quiet, but that'd be kinda lame ...
so if you have a 300mah 3.7V battery with 2C, that would be 1.1Wh.
0.44x10 is double of 1.1x2 - so you would have a lot less "juice" ... and more weight

Like I say, I probably totally embarrass myself right now, but at least its a possibility to learn something new.
Anyway, I would say based on those weird calculations that it either wouldnt work or at least not work well.
I still suggest a quad is much better for what you aare trying to do
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2014, 12:11 PM
Fueled by coffee & LiPo
United States, FL, Venice
Joined Apr 2014
88 Posts
I suppose you already asked yourself the question: Why? Strapping three times the heli's cost worth of FPV to a bird that flies badly for two minutes seems like a problem to me. I love my V911s and have too much invested In cameras to risk losing either.

I'm definitely a heli guy, but I have a few quads to practice with, one with a camera. It is a great experience to see the world from that angle, although now I have to play it back when I land. I am looking forward to FPV when I have a bird that can safely navigate to the necessary altitude and take on the winds. That just won't happen with a V911. Maybe a V912 or V913?
JW57RC is offline Find More Posts by JW57RC
Old Dec 08, 2014, 12:37 PM
Joined Mar 2009
10,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JW57RC View Post
I suppose you already asked yourself the question: Why? Strapping three times the heli's cost worth of FPV to a bird that flies badly for two minutes seems like a problem to me. I love my V911s and have too much invested In cameras to risk losing either.

I'm definitely a heli guy, but I have a few quads to practice with, one with a camera. It is a great experience to see the world from that angle, although now I have to play it back when I land. I am looking forward to FPV when I have a bird that can safely navigate to the necessary altitude and take on the winds. That just won't happen with a V911. Maybe a V912 or V913?
check out the respective threads, and the more likely answer to this (out of yes or no) will be: probably neither ...
RCG Plus Member