SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2014, 11:04 AM
flyit till theres nothin left
Airfield Electric Shop Memphis International Airport
Joined Sep 2006
234 Posts
Discussion
Glue Guns and sticks opinions low/high temp, brands good bad etc

I'm in the process of shopping for a glue gun. I know they are cheap but like everything else there's good and bad. Just wondering about peoples experience with diff types, heat ranges , brands, longevity , etc.
I guess i'm looking for reviews from our group of builders not the reviews from the "generic" internet for building flower reefs and bird houses.
I have heard pros and cons about hi heat vs low heat guns, different glue sticks, diameter of each etc.
Like everything else it's better to hear from other folks before wasting time and money on junk. Hopefully others will benefit.
thanks.

ZZ

While on the subject of Glue what about preserving PU glue in case anybody is interested.
I found this.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/tips...illa-glue.html
ZZ Prop is offline Find More Posts by ZZ Prop
Last edited by ZZ Prop; Dec 05, 2014 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Preserving PU Glue
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:07 PM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Mar 2013
96 Posts
Good thread idea. I am on my second one and don't care for the replacement I bought (An Arrow brand from Lowes)
numb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by numb_thumbs
Old Nov 29, 2014, 12:50 PM
Joined Sep 2006
234 Posts
I was gonna get an arrow from lowes but I read the reviews and they weren't that great.
I trust the rc groups people's reviews because it is specific to our hobby and thats what we are looking for.
i did watch a video on flight test about the slow set arrow glue produces good results
BSS6-4 is the part number on the glue sticks but i think they are the larger diameter
Old Nov 30, 2014, 01:09 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,646 Posts
Flight test just released a video on Hot glue tips. Good information. These guys are the Masters of applying hot glue to foam.
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Dec 01, 2014, 08:50 AM
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined Mar 2013
96 Posts
Great find! Thanks bz1mcr! The Debonding part was a bit mind blowing
numb_thumbs is offline Find More Posts by numb_thumbs
Old Dec 01, 2014, 09:01 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,051 Posts
I have various from local shops ... 8mm and 12mm stick varieties ..... but my favourite now and goes with me to flight site ..............

The 3S powered Hobby King 8mm gun. I use old tired 3S packs that are no longer any good for flight. You can even power it straight of the ciggy lighter socket in the car .....

As to sticks - I buy the general purpose ones ... nothing special as I do not believe in Glue Gun as a permanent method. Only permanent bit I feel is filling in dents and nicks ... rest is temp fix only.

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 01, 2014, 10:04 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,187 Posts
I tried the Arrow also but didn't find it all that good for my use. I want through half a dozen guns trying to find one without a runny nose. The one I settled on was a white gun from Walmart branded as "Martha Stewart" This takes the small 1/4 in sticks. I tried the big ones with the 7/16 sticks but found, when doing long strips, the heater can't keep the glue hot enough with the flow through the gun. With the smaller sticks, with not so much glue to heat keeps up very well. All my planes, even the micros, are done with hotglue. You just don't need much. I found the hotglue hinges are the most reliable. I do use contact glue for glueing sheets together and has its own uses.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Dec 01, 2014, 11:45 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia, Ventspils pilsēta, Ventspils
Joined Jan 2010
9,051 Posts
Hinges ... yes - now I forgot about that ... on foamies where the foam hinge line starts to crack or shows stress - I have added a thin Hot Glue line and that's cured it ... BUT has to be done carefully or the hinge stiffens up and causes higher current demand / strain on the servos. On single servo dual elevators - it can lead to one elevator not following other exactly ... so careful !

Runny nose - that's something that all the guns I use - I have not cured. I attached a hook to table leg to hang my gun in use from to try and keep business end uppermost ...

Nigel
solentlife is online now Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 01, 2014, 04:00 PM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,232 Posts
So why do I find this post now, 4 hours after I order a new hot glue gun?????

Anyway, I decided that I need a low temp gun as mine is like capable of gluing Kryptonite or melting the polar ice cap, one drop of glue from a foot away from the job leaves a blob of molten glue/ foam on the desk and a hole in the model.

Here in Germany I can only find 2 low temp guns, one from UHU and one from Dremel (this is actually a dual temp). The Dremal takes smaller sticks (7 mm) which may be better for fine work and is cheaper than the UHU so that is what I have ordered.

Should be here in a day or two so I will test and post back here.

Paul
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB
Old Dec 01, 2014, 06:42 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,187 Posts
Paul: another way you can do it if you have a 110 volt , or whatever your voltage is there, is to use a variable power supply. Dremel makes one. Some sewing machines use them with the foot pedal. You get what I mean. You can set the amps of the glue gun at whatever you like. I have a Variac for such things.

Gord.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 08:21 PM
Joined Sep 2006
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Paul: another way you can do it if you have a 110 volt , or whatever your voltage is there, is to use a variable power supply. Dremel makes one. Some sewing machines use them with the foot pedal. You get what I mean. You can set the amps of the glue gun at whatever you like. I have a Variac for such things.

Gord.
Gord
I was thinking about using that method . I was thinking on getting a high temp gun and using my variac to control the heat. I guess it would be a learning process on the right temp. Actually a variac will go over voltage a few percent. I think they will go to about 140 vac all the way up. Might smoke the gun though.
I know there are a bunch of glue guns out there and I realize hot glue is probably one of the heavier building glues but it sure seems a lot of folks are starting to use it now. I never would have dreamed after 35 years of balsa , several years of Depron , FFF, EPP I would be going to Dollar Tree to buy RC aircraft building material
I am just now delving into the Adams foam and it seems HG is the glue of choice The video on FT about HG is really good info, The gun Josh praises is a bit pricey but if he says its a good one I guess that's the one I may get because HG seems to be what the FT peeps use exclusively.

ZZ
Last edited by ZZ Prop; Dec 01, 2014 at 08:41 PM. Reason: cause I posted a link that had already posted DAAA on me
Old Dec 01, 2014, 08:40 PM
Joined Sep 2006
234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
Hinges ... yes - now I forgot about that ... on foamies where the foam hinge line starts to crack or shows stress - I have added a thin Hot Glue line and that's cured it ... BUT has to be done carefully or the hinge stiffens up and causes higher current demand / strain on the servos. On single servo dual elevators - it can lead to one elevator not following other exactly ... so careful !

Runny nose - that's something that all the guns I use - I have not cured. I attached a hook to table leg to hang my gun in use from to try and keep business end uppermost ...

Nigel
Nigel

I read somewhere about the hing thing is to just use short strips of glue. Like instead of making a continuous line all the way down the seam say just an inch skip an inch then another inch and so on to the end of the control surface. I haven't tried it but it sounds good. The only draw back would be that the whole hinge line would not be sealed. Also I read that the gun be set with the nozzle down in order that the melted glue will not back up and out of the gun from the feed end. I lay my small gun down on the table flat all the time and have not had any issues with that which seems to be the same scenario that you hang your kinda level if that is what I am understanding.
Anyway just passing info I'm gathering from other places.

ZZ
Old Dec 01, 2014, 09:19 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,187 Posts
Different way of doing it but I leave the surfaces with about a 1/16 gap to give the glue room to bend. The hinges are only about 1/2 in. wide and maybe 3 in. apart.
As you say, if the hinge is full length it gets very stiff to move. These are very strong hinges and don't need much width. Try an experiment and glue two pieces together as a hinge only 1/2 in wide, then try to pull it apart.

Gord.
Old Dec 01, 2014, 10:39 PM
-S-
Just one more..... Just one...
United States, TX, Henderson
Joined Jan 2010
1,314 Posts
I use the HK 3S powered gun and another 120V gun I bought at a craft shop with glue sticks below the ones I have are 7.46 MM so I assume that is 8 MM seems to be OK quality I have not had any issues with it.

http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...tick-5pcs.html

The reason I like it is it's about 10 inches long and you are not in a rush to add another stick when it gets short. - I hated the short sticks never failed when you got to that critical part you'd run out

Just My opinion, hope it helps.

- S

Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I have various from local shops ... 8mm and 12mm stick varieties ..... but my favourite now and goes with me to flight site ..............

The 3S powered Hobby King 8mm gun. I use old tired 3S packs that are no longer any good for flight. You can even power it straight of the ciggy lighter socket in the car .....

As to sticks - I buy the general purpose ones ... nothing special as I do not believe in Glue Gun as a permanent method. Only permanent bit I feel is filling in dents and nicks ... rest is temp fix only.

Nigel
-S- is offline Find More Posts by -S-
Old Dec 02, 2014, 02:26 AM
Paderborn DE
Joined Oct 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post

Gord.
Thanks for the tip.

We have 240V here but by coincidence I had read somewhere recently that a light switch dimmer would do the same thing (I can get one of those from any DIY store). Thought about that but as my current gun is also some 15 – 20 years old I figured that it may be time for a change. If the Dremel turns out to be ‘below par’ I will look at a variable power supply of some description.

Cheers,

Paul
PaulB is offline Find More Posts by PaulB