HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 03, 2014, 01:06 PM
Joined Sep 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
HK F9f-2 Panther PC coated

Has anyone flown this jet? It is the one with the PC coating.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=51281

I have just ordered it, and I am curious about the weight after the PC coating. I have been experimenting with ways to pretty up foam jets, and have used up a lot of our 500' runway trying to get them in the air and keep them there. I'm starting to get a reputation over here. "Crash" does not rhyme with "Jim."
jameslaurienti is offline Find More Posts by jameslaurienti
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2014, 08:17 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,541 Posts
Since no one else answered, I will. IMHO, if you use the fan unit as it came and use 2500 or worse, 3000 Mah batteries for a 6S set up, the plane will be very heavy and a real b@#$ch to slow down and land. It might not last long.
Hope is not lost, though If you swap out the rotor for a wemotech EVO rotor unit (rotor, spinner, adapter), you can go down in weight to 2200 6S packs. The EVO rotor draws significantly less amps.
Another option is dropping to 5S and using 2200-2500mah packs.
Some of this depends on what batteries you have on hand.

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Nov 04, 2014, 08:59 PM
Joined Sep 2014
6 Posts
ex-racer, thank you for the advice. I'd really like to fly the thing without destroying it. Have you flown this bird?
Old Nov 04, 2014, 10:14 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,541 Posts
I have not. I have a non-PC coated version I've been (very slowly) working on.
Remember it's still a foamy and they do better (don't flex as much) the lighter they are. There are 3mm carbon rods stiffening the wing. There's no spar in the center of the wing. People have flown them heavy, but they say you have to be careful and not pull elevator too sharply.
The 10 blade fan draws a lot of amps (68) and requires a big battery to match the current draw.
You can either use 5S to lower the amp draw, or swap the rotor as I said.
Do you have a battery you intend to use with it?

You should read this page:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...01932&page=370

Terry
Old Nov 04, 2014, 10:45 PM
Some Girls r Bigger thn Others
USA, UT, Cedar Hills
Joined Jun 2010
1,419 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslaurienti View Post
ex-racer, thank you for the advice. I'd really like to fly the thing without destroying it. Have you flown this bird?
The Lander panther is super easy to fly and with the flaps slows down great. The PC coating will make it heavier, but it's the same material you get on a bike helmet so it shouldn't be too bad. Mine was a non-pc coated version on 4s and it flew awesome! It looked great, easy to get off the ground and nice slow landings. It has a VERY large battery bay so you'll have no problem getting the correct CG. The key here is to keep it as light as possible. So, go with the smallest battery that will allow you to not add weight to the nose and that will get you the longest flight time.

I've had both the Panther and the Cougar and the Cougar was faster, it was also not as easy to land. I think you'll really enjoy the plane. If you haven't built a Lander plane before be ready for the puzzle assembly. Nothing hard but also nothing like modern PNP edfs that screw together. This plane is probably 5-6 years old now. Plus if you have any problems you can email Tim Wan, the owner of RC Lander, and he will always get you straightened out.
swps is offline Find More Posts by swps
Old Nov 05, 2014, 09:19 AM
Joined Sep 2014
6 Posts
I have three battery setups i can use. One is a 5s 4000 mah, one a 6s 2650 (399g), and a pair of 3s 3700 mah (548g together).

In any case, I'll position the bats where I don't have to add ballast.

Thanks, guys. I'll let you know how it shakes out.
Old Nov 05, 2014, 01:39 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,541 Posts
I'd use the 6S 2650 battery. It's probably the lightest. Use throttle management after take off, as you'll be pulling 25C+ full throttle.
Old Nov 05, 2014, 07:59 PM
Joined Sep 2014
6 Posts
Thanks, racr,...that is the plan.