HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:10 AM
Denmark, Syddanmark, Svendborg
Joined Jun 2013
108 Posts
Build Log
Tarot 680PRO Hexacopter Build

This will be my build log of the newly released Tarot 680PRO Hexacopter, which seems to include the best of the 680 and 690S with the size of the 680 and motor mounts similar to the 690S. It also includes an integrated PCB board which should give a cleaner look with less wires.

I chose this frame because of the succesful predecessors and because of the strong carbon fiber material. I also like the size as it's suitable for lifting smaller cameras + gimbals. I will start with a GoPro, but might move to a sony nex later on.

This will be my second multirotor. My first was a tricopter that I still enjoy a lot, but I now want a camera + gps multirotor for aerial video filming rather than just fun flying.

I already have a GoPro hero 3 black and Tarot T-2D which I'll be using to begin with. In the future I plan to move/modify to a 3-axis gimbal to improve my video capabilities.

Current build idea: (pleae comment with ideas/improvements/thoughts)
Tarot 680PRO frame (Arrived)
DJI E-600 (esc, motor, props)
DJI Naza M V2 + GPS (Ordered)
DJI Mini iOSD (Ordered)
6S Battery (still need to calculate size for best efficiency)

Besides this I plan to order a gps mount, a canopy, tarot mounts and some cheap Hobbyking retracts for a neater look in the air.

I'm still not sure whether or not I should go with the E-600 propulsion system. For a hex configuration the price will be around 629 dollars, which can be done a lot cheaper using other brands. What I like about the E-600 though is the selflocking props and the high efficiency which it seems to have. Using just 12" props(which fits this frame nicely) the 415kv motors have a recommended load of 600g. That should add up to a 3.6 kg AUW which will allow me to fit a relatively large battery according to my calculations.

These are my thoughts so far, will add more details later including AUW calculations.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

UPDATE
7th Jan 2014:
I received the kit in the mail today, and started building it. I'll upload a few pictures here, the rest can be seen in original size in the following posts:

680PRO Kit: #19.

The box is really small, it's 34x22 cm.

Everything that came in the box.

And this is where I stop for now. I'll fit the bottom plate and put the rest of the things together when I get the motors/esc's

UPDATE:
15th Jan 2014:

Naza M V2 + iOSD mini + DJI Ground Station kit:

Cool black canopy designed for this frame + a free chinese souvenir (not sure if i'll use it yet, since I would have to put my GPS and batteries elsewhere):

JoakimT
JoakimT is offline Find More Posts by JoakimT
Last edited by JoakimT; Apr 24, 2014 at 01:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2013, 07:24 AM
Joined Jul 2013
651 Posts
Tarot 680PRO Hexacopter Build

Look forward to seeing your results

I'll also be getting a 680pro shortly, but will most likely be getting the SunnySky v3508-700kv motors with 4S due to the cheaper cost of the motors and batteries.
ariZedA is offline Find More Posts by ariZedA
Old Dec 27, 2013, 08:41 AM
Australia, VIC, Geelong
Joined Mar 2010
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ariZedA View Post
Look forward to seeing your results
+1

Have also order the 680Pro after following the 680/690 threads for sometime and have gone with the multistar 3508-20 580kv on 4s due to the success people have had with the equivalent sunnysky. (Fingers are crossed for the multistar's quality!)

Will be good to see how the DJI motor/esc setup goes.
aurora912 is offline Find More Posts by aurora912
Old Dec 27, 2013, 10:28 AM
Joined Jun 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurora912 View Post
+1

Have also order the 680Pro after following the 680/690 threads for sometime and have gone with the multistar 3508-20 580kv on 4s due to the success people have had with the equivalent sunnysky. (Fingers are crossed for the multistar's quality!)

Will be good to see how the DJI motor/esc setup goes.
Yeah, I really want to try them out, I just need them to arrive i european stores since the import taxes from US/China are really high here in Denmark
Old Dec 27, 2013, 04:37 PM
United States, AK, Lake and Peninsula
Joined Sep 2012
217 Posts
Greetings:
I recently ordered the 680pro as well. Anyone figure out where the 210 grams additional weight is compared to the 690? I have some PCB's that are only 8 grams but don't know how much weight the internal pcb on the 680pro adds and what if any additional wire run weight is involved if you used old style plates and a OEM PCB. 210 grams is a lot of weight I could use elsewhere.
I ordered SunnySky V3508 KV380 motors and HobbyWing Platinum 30a 6s ESC's. Have Glacier 6s 6000mah battery which is slightly less expensive and weighs less than two 4s 5000mah lipo. When you compare watts delivered to weight 6s competes well. Also the real cost of 6s isn't the batteries its the charger required to safely do the larger sizes in your lifetime. Still trying to sort out props but I live in a very remote area and it will be some time before I receive anything.
Joakim T
Do you have a in stock source for the DJI E600's.
UgashikBob is offline Find More Posts by UgashikBob
Old Dec 27, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined Jun 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UgashikBob View Post
Greetings:
I recently ordered the 680pro as well. Anyone figure out where the 210 grams additional weight is compared to the 690? I have some PCB's that are only 8 grams but don't know how much weight the internal pcb on the 680pro adds and what if any additional wire run weight is involved if you used old style plates and a OEM PCB. 210 grams is a lot of weight I could use elsewhere.
I ordered SunnySky V3508 KV380 motors and HobbyWing Platinum 30a 6s ESC's. Have Glacier 6s 6000mah battery which is slightly less expensive and weighs less than two 4s 5000mah lipo. When you compare watts delivered to weight 6s competes well. Also the real cost of 6s isn't the batteries its the charger required to safely do the larger sizes in your lifetime. Still trying to sort out props but I live in a very remote area and it will be some time before I receive anything.
Joakim T
Do you have a in stock source for the DJI E600's.
As far as I've heard the extra weight comes from parts that makes the new frame stronger as well as the PCB. I agree that 210 grams may seem as a lot, but if it's to increase the strength of the frame to make it more crash resistant I'm fine with it.

When my kit arrives i'll upload pictures to show which parts are different from the original 680.
Old Dec 28, 2013, 08:55 PM
United States, OH, Kinsman
Joined May 2013
235 Posts
Gues im in too

Just ordered the frame!

i wanna use it for hotswapping between gopro 3axis gimbal from feyutech and a nex5 setup in 3axis also!

I am very curious to see what the best motor, props and 4s vs 6s will be discusses here!

I am thinking in the lines of 12x3,8 carbon from Foxtech as i just love the 17 mkii we have, might even give the supremes a go!
6S 8000MAH or 6S 5000MAH
Maytech 45A esc optos simonk

as for motors I am so clueless how to calculate what will give me most flying time!

I ordered the frame from foxtech for 190 any one knows if it comes with landing gear? wonder how hard it is to make em retacts!

Dave the swede in RIO
fr3style is offline Find More Posts by fr3style
Old Dec 29, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Jun 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3style View Post
Just ordered the frame!

i wanna use it for hotswapping between gopro 3axis gimbal from feyutech and a nex5 setup in 3axis also!

I am very curious to see what the best motor, props and 4s vs 6s will be discusses here!

I am thinking in the lines of 12x3,8 carbon from Foxtech as i just love the 17 mkii we have, might even give the supremes a go!
6S 8000MAH or 6S 5000MAH
Maytech 45A esc optos simonk

as for motors I am so clueless how to calculate what will give me most flying time!

I ordered the frame from foxtech for 190 any one knows if it comes with landing gear? wonder how hard it is to make em retacts!

Dave the swede in RIO
You probably ordered the same kit as me, and if that's the case it will include foldable landing gear
Old Dec 29, 2013, 07:05 PM
Joined May 2013
235 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimT View Post
You probably ordered the same kit as me, and if that's the case it will include foldable landing gear
Tack Joakim!!! I hope it comes with the landing gear. and wonder how easy it will be to convert.

40 degrees in rio and joakim is in sweden 4 degrees acording to google! wonder if we flew the machines in these conditions the differece the heat would do?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:44 AM
Joined Jun 2013
108 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3style View Post
Tack Joakim!!! I hope it comes with the landing gear. and wonder how easy it will be to convert.

40 degrees in rio and joakim is in sweden 4 degrees acording to google! wonder if we flew the machines in these conditions the differece the heat would do?
Actually im danish There would be a huge difference in flight times.. The lipos don't like the cold temperatures up here In fact they operate best at a temperature of around 35 degrees celsius, so you're temperature is perfect for the lipos at least In order to get the best battery performance i have to keep my batteries warm before use
Old Dec 30, 2013, 06:55 PM
Joined May 2013
235 Posts
So i bought the frame etc. still wondeirng on parts to put on it!

it will be my backup machine and will carry gh3, nex5 and gopro. all hot swappable!

Now starts the hunt for info on what is the best motor for and will i go with 12 or 13 inches and is 4s or 6s the best for me?
Old Dec 30, 2013, 07:42 PM
Joined Jun 2013
108 Posts
Depends on your budget/preferences. I'm limiting myself to 12" props as i think the 13" wont give me sufficient maneuverability.

The most stable/sufficient set-up I could come up with is this new E-600 system running on 6S. I'm excited to see the first independant reviews.. I really hope it can live up to what DJI has promised
Old Dec 30, 2013, 08:01 PM
Joined Jul 2013
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoakimT View Post
Depends on your budget/preferences. I'm limiting myself to 12" props as i think the 13" wont give me sufficient maneuverability.

The most stable/sufficient set-up I could come up with is this new E-600 system running on 6S. I'm excited to see the first independant reviews.. I really hope it can live up to what DJI has promised

What about the SunnySky v3508 700kvs?
ariZedA is offline Find More Posts by ariZedA
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joined May 2013
235 Posts
Yeah had forgotten about the e600 is any one selling em yet?
Im not going to say the buget is huge but we will use it for aerial filming so for me the most important is stable safe and no jello!!!!!!!!

I have never owned any sunnysky but every one who has only has good things to say! i have two sets of pancake motors and for some reason the pancakes seem to me to have better efficency any one agree?

i am also thinking about 12 or 13 but leaning more towards 12" due to it beeing not on the limit of the frame and also should be less vibrations acording to some folks! props to close to each other can cause vibrations!

I will offcourse buy all I can from foxtech as I am super impressed with their service so far!
Old Dec 31, 2013, 03:58 PM
Joined May 2013
235 Posts
just read this on the forum. so guess the e600 will be on another build then

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJI Propulsion View Post
I have to admit that we have encountered an problem in balancing all the props good enough, it took much more time than expected to get it right. This caused a huge delay of the E600 system.
Hopefully we can deliver the E600 system before Chinese New Year.

I am very very sorry for this delay, and we are working around the clock to solve the problem.

Dr. Turbo
I really appreciate this honesty and clarity about a new product. Thank you! This thread has made me much more likely to buy DJI products in the future.