SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 16, 2014, 10:45 AM
United States, SC, Liberty
Joined Dec 2013
455 Posts
Thanks Gary! My demands are a lot lower than most of you flyers. I just want to tool about in the sky on nice days with a low maintenance, beautiful, uncomplicated ship that didn't involve a complicated build. This baby tics off all the boxes. Down the road... ? ... who knows.
Brynmr is online now Find More Posts by Brynmr
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:26 AM
Peter, irl
Joined May 2012
189 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeric View Post
Anybody put flaps on a Sky EV-2m? I think I'm going to turn mine into a more slope-specific machine (and that will give me an excuse to build a thermal ship, too), so I'm not too worried about adding a little weight. I can't imagine any reason this can't be done pretty easily, but I guess if anybody ever did it and turned it into a brick, I'd like to hear about it!
Did you end up doing this? Thinking of doing the same to an EC 1.7 for a mini-full-house I can fit (almost) in my back pocket. Of course I may leave it aileron-only.
Itchy Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Itchy Thumbs
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:53 PM
aka: Scott Ellis
United States, MT, Billings
Joined Dec 2012
1,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itchy Thumbs View Post
Did you end up doing this? Thinking of doing the same to an EC 1.7 for a mini-full-house I can fit (almost) in my back pocket. Of course I may leave it aileron-only.
Not yet, but I still plan to. I'll post pictures here when I do.
Xeric is offline Find More Posts by Xeric
Old Dec 17, 2014, 03:44 AM
Austria, Niederösterreich, Traunfeld
Joined Dec 2014
2 Posts
Hy!
Some pics of my Sky EV 2m.
I nearly finished it. If i would had read it earlier, that it is not complicated to add some flaps, i would had it done.
But next time i will!

I have a second fuse, which is planned to be a glider.
jimmy.laessig is offline Find More Posts by jimmy.laessig
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:10 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
Highride and Soaranator,

I'm glad that you guys are enjoying the Fidelity. The aim of the airfoil was to give a wider speed range and make a plane more tolerant of the actual air speed. The end result should be a nice 'thermal' airfoil with good glide angle at much higher speeds, very handy if your downwind with a light plane.

When making an AH Fidelity or Serena, be careful to preserve the leading edge radius, it seems to be important!

Enjoy
OwenP is offline Find More Posts by OwenP
Old Dec 18, 2014, 09:52 AM
United States, MA, Hull
Joined Dec 2004
81 Posts
OwenP - One of my favorite things about AH gliders is the thin airfoils. About 20 years ago I had a set of wings made for a 1/4 scale glider that were 9% instead of the usual 12%. There was a noticeable improvement in sink rate, glide and high speed performance. Been a fan of thin airfoils since....
soaranator is online now Find More Posts by soaranator
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:24 AM
Michigan's Upper Peninsula
Joined Sep 2007
739 Posts
Honored to meet you, Owen!

It is winter up here so my flying opportunities are reduced but I am a winter flier.

The Fidelity with your OP 0830C airfoil performs so well (I'm a flatland flier). I can really range way out thermal riding and return (I really resist powering up my motor except for launching). An excellent thermal machine even in our oft light lift. Given the Fidelity's light weight, I was surprised how fast I can get it moving. Just tuck her "chin" in and away she goes, or comes for that matter. I do have to pay attention coming cross wind with the raised tips. I was out with our power guys one day and a few of my very slow low altitude turns took their breath away. Comments like, "I don't believe you did that!". I was grinning. Rare that I fail to land her almost in arm's reach.

I waited for AH to begin production for about a year before seeing the Fidelity and its sister, Serena, pop up on the site. I see that AH has a video on YouTube of their 2.5m Endura e-glider. Do you know if that design will have one of your OP airfoils?

I have become a real fan of the AH products since I returned to RC nine years ago and went to e-sailplanes with our field conditions (I used to fly off of hi-starts). I appreciate the quality and the aesthetics of their planes and very certainly their flying characteristics.

Regards,

Dave
Highride is online now Find More Posts by Highride
Old Dec 19, 2014, 06:49 PM
El Dorado Hills, California, U.S.A.
Joined Mar 2000
550 Posts
Hey Sean,

I've seen you fly your Timon, and it hangs well with the 2meter floaters, but I'm hearing the chat here that you have a SKY? I have always been itching for a Timon for a while, but it sounds like SKY is better?

Which one did you get?

A) SKY-V1.7M?
B) SKY-C1.7M?
C) SKY-1.7M?

How long did it take to arrive?

How much was freight?

What kinda payment Method does ArtHobby take?

What kind of wing servos?

What Kind of Fuse servos?

I know I'm asking the rookie questions, but I have been out of it for about four years or so... I still have all my gear...

Thanks,

Martin
MAVA is offline Find More Posts by MAVA
Old Dec 19, 2014, 06:56 PM
United States, SC, Liberty
Joined Dec 2013
455 Posts
Took 2 days from payment to get my Art Hobby plane.
Brynmr is online now Find More Posts by Brynmr
Old Dec 20, 2014, 01:46 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAVA View Post
Hey Sean,

I've seen you fly your Timon, and it hangs well with the 2meter floaters, but I'm hearing the chat here that you have a SKY? I have always been itching for a Timon for a while, but it sounds like SKY is better?

Which one did you get?

A) SKY-V1.7M?
B) SKY-C1.7M?
C) SKY-1.7M?

How long did it take to arrive?

How much was freight?

What kinda payment Method does ArtHobby take?

What kind of wing servos?

What Kind of Fuse servos?

I know I'm asking the rookie questions, but I have been out of it for about four years or so... I still have all my gear...

Thanks,

Martin
Hi Martin, Sent you a PM.

Sean
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Today, 05:17 AM
Kingdom of Norway, Hedmark, Stange
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
First flight of the Odyssey

I had the first flight with the Odyssey yesterday in beautiful but cold weather, -10 °C . Used 20 meters of 8 mm hollow silicon hi start rubber and 100m nylon monofilament line. With a good tension on the line the vario reported 58 meters at the top, and that with absolutely no wind to launch against. Had 6 starts, and all got to ca the same hight. The Odyssey is flying very well and has nice glide. It's responsive on the rudders, and it stops on the dime when flaps/crow is used so it's very easy to land.

I had to use 160 grams of lead shot in the nose to get the CG right, so all up weight is 1180 grams. Using a 2S 2400 lipo, and vario.

Really looking forward to spring and summer....but thats 4 months away
Dynabel is online now Find More Posts by Dynabel
Old Today, 09:43 AM
Joined Nov 2010
282 Posts
Dynabel...Very, very nice, clean and minimal. Inspiration for me to get started on my second one. Pair of Redtail's trashed the first. What's all that white stuff laying around? We don't see that stuff in the SC LowCountry.
Capt. Gary is offline Find More Posts by Capt. Gary
Old Today, 11:33 AM
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
Capt.Gary. Thanks for the kind words. Yes, I read about your encounter with the Redtails, after what I understand they are rater aggressive when they are mating?
Hehe, yea.....some snow befor x-mas is nice....the cold, not so much. But you can't have one of them without the other.
Old Today, 01:03 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,780 Posts
Dynabel,
Are your wings painted or covered?
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Today, 01:09 PM
Joined Aug 2014
22 Posts
Sailhigh.
The wings is covered with Oracover / Profilm.