HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 04, 2013, 01:52 AM
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Question
Making sails and Batons

Hi I have recently bought a Joysway Discovery to get into Rc sailing. The boat its self seems quite good and everything seems to run quite smoothly while sailing. I have had it for about 2 weeks now and am looking to try and make some batons for the mainsail or make a new one myself as the sail seems to be the weak point. So any help in how to make a sail or batons and where to get the material from etc would be very much appreciated. I also know that some people will just say that it is a piece of junk from china and to get a new boat. To this I will say: I'm 13 and have limited money I don't have 500+ GBP to spend on a boat and don't want to have to basically make a boat from scratch to get around this as im starting My GCSEs. Any help will be very much appreciated. Also I live in Abu Dhabi so I will have to order all materials online as there are no hobby shops here.

Oscar
Oscar754 is offline Find More Posts by Oscar754
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 02:05 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Just to add to this-I think im going to buy the 1mm thick sheet of carbon fiber off HK then cut it into strips. What do you think about the thickness.
Old May 04, 2013, 02:56 AM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
531 Posts
Oscar all that I have to say is that you buy what you can afford and get sailing to improve your sailing skill. As it has been proven almost any boat can be improved after sailing it for a while. You are on the right track in wanting to improve your boats performance, what I did on my Victors V32 sails was to get thin plastic strips from the hobby shop. Like the plastic strips that use to be in men's dress shirts collar points, stiff but some bend in it then I used sail tape to attach them to the sails in the proper place, usually three on the main
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old May 04, 2013, 03:55 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar754 View Post
Just to add to this-I think im going to buy the 1mm thick sheet of carbon fiber off HK then cut it into strips. What do you think about the thickness.
1 mm carbon is way too thick (stiff) you need the batten to bend with sail shape, if you're using carbon don't go any thicker than 0.20 mm.

For trail, suggest to start by cutting strips off plastic material (thin flat plastic container lids as example) first and use double sided tape to attach them to the sail and take look at how they go ...will save you bit of money.

Cheers Alan
KoneWone is offline Find More Posts by KoneWone
Old May 04, 2013, 05:35 AM
Blackpool, Lancs
Joined Feb 2006
3,008 Posts
Thin plastic container lids work well, but will probably want to bend. I got round that by using two strips back to back. In the absence of pockets for the battens, I wound up sewing them to cloth sails, clear Uhu worked on plastic fabric. I've also, on sheet plastic sails, raided the stationery cupboard and used strips of sellotape. Not to make the sail rigid, just to add some extra stiffness in the right area.
On a Bermuda rig, the battens are usually there to support a pushed roach, the back edge of the sail outside a line from the top fitting to the outhaul. It is possible that a lot of the improvement you are looking for can be got by tweaking the relative tensions of back and fore stays to get the mast to conform to the shape the sail wants to be.
mfr02 is offline Find More Posts by mfr02
Old May 04, 2013, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Thx

I'll start with adding plastic container lids then and see how it goes. Also with the setting on the mast the Discovery doesn't have many(I have sailed for 6 years so understand what you mean). The problem is is that the leech is just too loose and the kicker won't go any tighter and there are no other setting that effect the leach.
Old May 04, 2013, 09:34 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Just added plastic batons with tape and bent them to the shape i wanted and it is a lot better thanks for all your help
Oscar
Old May 04, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Jun 2009
88 Posts
Sail Battens

Just for accuracy, the leech stiffeners applied to sails are "battens". They should be straight when the sail is not loaded with wind, and then bend so that they take up a curve as the sail deforms. Tapering the batten width from the forward end to the after end, such as 1/8" to 3/8" over the length of a 4" batten, will make the leech stiffer at the after end, and ease the transition at the front of the sail.

If the sail has been stretched in the leech area by too much either from age, or flogging in strong winds, or having stored the rig with the leech under tension, no battens will cure the problem, new sails are the required solution.
RodACarr is offline Find More Posts by RodACarr
Old May 05, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Okay thx. No these sails are new they just come with the boat and I couldn't really expect to much more for a boat of 133 GBP
Old May 05, 2013, 12:56 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,564 Posts
Good job Oscar! Looks like you got some good information from some knowledgeable people! That is what makes this such a great forum. Lots of nice folks ready to help.
Take a few pictures of your boat and post them!
Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
Old May 05, 2013, 04:00 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
531 Posts
Oscar I would say listen to Ron Carr about sails as he makes sails for model boats.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old May 06, 2013, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2013
14 Posts
Okay thx some pics coming just wanted to say thx as it is sailing a lot better now (just had it out in about 7-8 knots) .