SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:10 AM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
Discussion
LiPo battery questions

I've got a stock, recently built Tamiya F150 Baja truck with a brushed 540 waiting for a battery. I decided to go with a LiPo and am wondering what I can get away with as far as minimum discharge rating goes. Would a 25C, 4000mah battery provide adequate performance for this stock truck? Am I wrong to assume that this thing won't be pulling more than 30, maybe 40 amps? I am not concerned with upgradeability to a brushless system and continuing use with this battery, just trying to get a cheap stick that will last me a year or two.

I know that the ESC is not designed to handle LiPos, I will be carefully monitoring discharge to make sure no problem occurs with the LVC.

Thanks!
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 03:29 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,934 Posts
Before you order anything, what shape is the battery area in your chassis? Tamiya is notorious for having oval shapped channels for batteries that are MUCH harder to find lipo packs that fit into.

I bet with that silver can motor you're not pulling more than 15a. You'll be fine with a 25c 4000mah pack unless you put in a really amp hungry brushless setup.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:24 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
4,063 Posts
Almost positive that opening is an oval, but the channel is square so nothing a dremel can't fix... I'll double check that one. Yeah, no amp hungry brushless motor here, and I'll probably be happy with the brushed motor for a while... I can always toss that pack in my glider too. lol
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat