Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:04 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldsneffe View Post
Was a trap
I dont wanna disassemble another Bravo SX (it is still not that easy).
So I can only post pics of the modified frame of the Mia 300 Bravo SX.

Will do it later, ... have to work sometimes...

Walter
Would be a good way to get some practice though...

Had a little scare this morning when I fired up my single Bravo SX. Servos moved twitchy, or not at all... I first suspected it was because I had stored the box with heli in a room where there is no heater, and it had been cold that night. Placed it near a source of heat, and then noticed I had left the TX from my Solo Pro, that I flew just before that, still turned on. Hmmmm... Turned it off and took the Bravo SX again, worked flawless. So I guess the other TX was interering with the controls. Pffew, big relief. Was already having nightmares about cracking that nice scale fuse open...
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:41 AM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Man, tracking one of these down is a nightmare. I guess they are still too new.

Finally found a local seller who is seeing if he can order me one directly from NE. Will find out next week sometime. Hopefully I get to join the Bravo SX owner's club soon. He does have the Bravo III in stock, but I'd rather get my hands on the SX.

The SX is significantly faster/more agile than the Bravo III, yeah? What, in general, are the major differences between the fixed pitch and coaxial?
Frank_fjs is offline Find More Posts by Frank_fjs
Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:35 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Man, tracking one of these down is a nightmare. I guess they are still too new.

Finally found a local seller who is seeing if he can order me one directly from NE. Will find out next week sometime. Hopefully I get to join the Bravo SX owner's club soon. He does have the Bravo III in stock, but I'd rather get my hands on the SX.

The SX is significantly faster/more agile than the Bravo III, yeah? What, in general, are the major differences between the fixed pitch and coaxial?

Bravo III or any Solo based coaxial will be much slower and less agile than the Bravo SX or Solo Pro, although piros will be much faster on the coax though.

A coaxial can suffer from blade strike, both counter rotating rotor blades hitting each other, which can almost guarantee a crash. Or they suddenly lose lift in a tight turn, because the blades are stalled, and lose lift suddenly.

Landing a coax is much easier though, a FP will always hang a little slanted in the air, so when close to the ground it will want to slide sideways, and you need to counter that.

A coaxial is more efficient, all power goes to vertical lift, on the single rotor power gets "wasted" on countering main rotor torque. Compared to the Bravo SX you can fly twice as long with the coaxials.

So both types have their plusses and minuses. I love the way the Bravo SX handles, it can do slow controlled flight, but also move fast when given the space. The coaxial is more geared to indoor flying. It handles a little more gentle, although the difference is less compared to the Bravo SX than compared to the Solo Pro, which is lighter and more twitchy. Both are suitable for beginners, but no matter how fine the Bravo SX flies, for a first 4 channel it might be better to choose one that has a canopy that comes off easily, for repairs. On the Bravo SX and III that is more tricky...

This was posted in the Solo/Free Spirit topic, seems like a good deal, Solo shipped worldwide for 55 dollar total: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_3526wt_904
Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:58 AM
Joined May 2009
115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razors edge 29 View Post
they dont have the new one.

only the first I think and wasn't the fist chalk full of issues?
We received about 100 units in Nov and Dec directly supplied by NE. They are all RX-01. We have asked for RX-06 but with no luck because they said what they have (RX-01) is the newest.

There are 40 units received 2 weeks ago stamped July 2010 RX-01 too. (we put a note on our order -- RX-06 is preferred but 01 still came).
myrcmart is offline Find More Posts by myrcmart
Old Dec 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrcmart View Post
We received about 100 units in Nov and Dec directly supplied by NE. They are all RX-01. We have asked for RX-06 but with no luck because they said what they have (RX-01) is the newest.

There are 40 units received 2 weeks ago stamped July 2010 RX-01 too. (we put a note on our order -- RX-06 is preferred but 01 still came).
Knock on wood, but the RX-01 in my Bravo SX works fine. Most boards that had issues recently seemed to be RX-06 anyway. I don't think for instance the Revell Proto Max is already fitted with RX-01, yet I have heard quite a few people reporting servos suddenly moving down and staying there, even when turned up manually before switching back on. So far the only difference I see is the single antenna wire, but I doubt that will give range problems. If you manage to get out of range, you will need binoculars first to even see where your heli is flying, and what way it is going...
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:14 PM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,439 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
I agree with Razor here, for a real improved performance under this load, you might consider the Hyperion 240. 1 minutes extra flight time for 90 mAh extra capacity is quite bad...
Got my Hyperion 240 today, look good.

But they are quite heavy, have 6.5 g without plug and wires.
With wires and plug its 6.81 g, compared to 5.27 g of the 240 mAh Zippy. The Hyperion is also larger.

Did not have to take flight times today, hope to be able to do this on the weekend.

Took the weight of the Bravo SX MIA 300 mod, it is not really heavier than the stock Bravo SX!
29.14 g : 29.06 g - thats really "no" difference.

Some detail pics for Solo Pro.
First I drilled a hole into the frame to mount the tail boom. Wanted to strengthen it with epoxy, but then I did something completely different: I cut the tail boom mounting part of an broken Solo Pro main frame and cut fitting parts from the Bravo SX main frame. Then I glued the parts and strenghtened the fittings later with little epoxa. This connection seems to be very strong. Better would have done it about 5 mm lower, but works well anyway.
Also glued two 2 mm carbon rods for mounting of canopy.
Had to widen the wholes of the canopy a little bit for this, guess 1.5 mm rods would fit perfect - but I had only 1 mm (too thin) and 2 mm - anyway, works well.

Heli is black now:

Bigger pictures for the Dutch fraction...:

Walter
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe
Old Dec 16, 2010, 02:56 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,611 Posts
Nice, thanks! Makes it much easier for others considering this conversion.

Looking forward to your results with the Hyp 240.

I got my second Bravo SX today, a dark blue one with case. Didn't fly it yet, but I did weigh the 2 batteries that came with it, both also 4.71g. I am beginning to think you got a sample battery, Donaldsneffe, since you reported a much lower weight, and we already figured out it couldn't be a problem with the scale, since we get the same weight for the Hobby King 150.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 04:19 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
thanks

I have placed an order

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrcmart View Post

Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 16, 2010, 05:31 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,611 Posts
Some more vids are showing up. This one shows how stable and controlled it flies. And watch the nice controlled landings, like the one at 2:10 for instance:

HUGHES SX (3 min 25 sec)

And this one proves that the black canopy is also being produced, and called Hughes SX instead of Bravo SX. Great, now I want all five...

HUGHES SX Black Edition (1 min 22 sec)
Last edited by SoloProFan; Dec 16, 2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 06:41 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
21,333 Posts
I'd like to see more performance vids

ps. flying over leafs is a blast.

I did that a few times with my XMSR and it was a blast rustlen them up lol
Razors edge 29 is offline Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Dec 16, 2010, 09:37 PM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts

That is pretty sexy. Still not many places selling them though. I messaged Helipal.com and they said that they only stock the Bravo at the moment. BuzzFlyer is still the only place I know of stocking them.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 01:35 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,611 Posts
Buzzflyer doesn't seem to list it either, if I look I can only choose dark blue/camo/blue-white color schemes. Are you sure they stock the black?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 02:59 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Nov 2010
2,759 Posts
Sorry, I meant they stock the SX. I haven't found anywhere else stocking the SX let alone the black edition.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 03:05 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
13,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs View Post
Sorry, I meant they stock the SX. I haven't found anywhere else stocking the SX let alone the black edition.
In Germany and the Netherlands soms LHS have them as well, but I doubt they ship internationally. On eBay they are also present, that is where I got my first.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 10:20 AM
Vienna calling...
Österreich, Wien
Joined Aug 2010
1,439 Posts
Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
I am beginning to think you got a sample battery, Donaldsneffe, since you reported a much lower weight, and we already figured out it couldn't be a problem with the scale, since we get the same weight for the Hobby King 150.
why do you think, the others have "samples" and not yourself?
We did not figure out that this is not a problem of your scale. We only said, this is strange and unlikely, if your scale gives correct data at one point, this does not mean, it gives correct data at all points.

I have 5 Nine Eagles original 150 mAh batteries (NA-BA927). Three of those are from my three Bravo SX, and two from the Nine Eagles planes (they have the ridge as the HK replacement has).
I again scaled 4 of those batteries (did not find the second plane battery - its somewhere around in my mess).
I used two different expensive lab scales, one of those very expensive and extremely exact (and calibrated).
All three Bravo SX batteries have the same weight (light):
No.1: 4.3321 g scale 1, 4.33 g scale 2
No.2: 4.3179 g, 4.31 g
No.3: 4.2575 g, 4.25 g
(little differences probably because I did not close the window of the extremely exact scale while scaling and did not wait for some seconds, but this is really unimportant here)

No.4 (plane battery, with ridge): 4.6932 g, 4.69 g

So there seem to bee differences and two types of NE 150 mAh batteries - but the Bravo SX batteries (original of set) all have the same weight at least in my helicopter sets.

Walter
Donaldsneffe is offline Find More Posts by Donaldsneffe