HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 19, 2014, 08:35 PM
Joined May 2011
148 Posts
Build Log
dumas trojan f31

ok so I have been looking at all the build logs nice jobs all !!!!
started my build hull is framed still deciding on single or double screw. .waiting for skinning started the canopy / or ready to
now I have the window frames #37 it looks like on the plan the bottom but pics look like the top but what about the other frames do I make them.... ?? any help much appreciated.
Thanks every one for all the build logs.
Sorry all
DRUMSZ is online now Find More Posts by DRUMSZ
Last edited by DRUMSZ; Nov 20, 2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: DUU RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:16 AM
Joined Mar 2014
184 Posts
Trojan F31 window frames

are numbered 37 and 38, 38 being the flying bridge frames. Both should be in the kit. Your edited statement leads me to believe you found frames 38. Hope this is the case. The window frames can be confusing as is the top of the flying bridge. I have been struggling with that for some time and when looking for window frames to make this post I finally discovered what I missed, so I get to do it again. Haven't seen to many builds with the top as indicated on the plans, but there is nothing that says the kit can't be modified. Good luck with your build and don't be afraid to ask questions.

Norm
62architect is online now Find More Posts by 62architect
Old Nov 20, 2014, 04:00 PM
Joined May 2011
148 Posts
Right in front of me

DUUU was popping out all the pieces and numbering them then the boiler man showed up forgot to grab them

man these instructions are bad
Old Nov 20, 2014, 06:30 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,878 Posts
The true test of a modeler is when they build one of the earlier form Dumas Products, such as the Trojan 31, with their one sheet of instructions. I really scratched my head when they kept saying “make from scrap wood” in the plans. The only problem was that I ran out of scrap wood.

If you build one of these kits, you are well on your way to scratch building. Keep up the good work. We all have your back here on the forums.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:24 PM
Joined May 2011
148 Posts
started

Hey all
so much thanks for the builds without them this would have just sat on a shelf !!
be posting some picks soon.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 10:08 AM
Joined May 2011
148 Posts
Little mess up

When working on skinning the hull I realized I put the 2 bottom outer stringers on
the (pre formed ones)....... I didn't put that little piece of wood and glued them tight to the
formers so I cut the bottom skins a bit to fit. I hope this isn't gonna be a bad mistake
looks ok right now........
Old Nov 23, 2014, 12:46 PM
Joined Nov 2014
74 Posts
Not sure if that's ok or not? Lol I'll be building my first soon... So did you decide single or double screw? I was thinking single but not so sure now, I'll probably build my own tubes and shafts as all the kits are kinda spendy, but that's not set in stone yet.
Darrenf_1 is offline Find More Posts by Darrenf_1
Old Nov 23, 2014, 01:03 PM
Joined May 2011
148 Posts
Have a couple 4mm pop shafts and tube with oilite bushing from flebay and 3 mm
waiting for a couple more to com in still undecided thou ....... figured if Pat t's Orca runs on a single why not this one
wanted to do a nice scale cabin but decided on those nice dark tinted windows like the boats i see at Martha s Vineyard

Let me know when you start will follow along just great to see all the one's being or built to get some info from !!!!!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 01:51 PM
Joined Nov 2014
74 Posts
I was thinking 3/16" shafts as there seems to be a good supply of props, not sure on length until I start the build. Looked at several pics and the full size runs twin screws so to keep it scale that's probably the rote I'm gonna go. Mack's hardware kit is awesome just can't spend the 290$ for it
Old Nov 23, 2014, 03:25 PM
Joined May 2011
148 Posts
yes mac looks awesome but that price point. still thinking single for now and I could always get the mac when the change jar is full LOL
I probably wont got for to 1:1 look don't think anyone would even notice as far as hardware and cabin BUT the hull I want to try to get as perfect I can love those lines !!!!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 03:45 PM
Joined May 2011
148 Posts
Twin screw

I would love to do this...
this guy did an awesome build !
check this out if you haven't seen it

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=618607
Old Nov 23, 2014, 06:08 PM
Joined Nov 2014
74 Posts
He did a amazing job on that boat!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 06:25 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,878 Posts
Darrenf 1- I think you are getting confused on the MACK hardware you keep saying is too much money. Mack does not make a hardware package alone for the Dumas Trojan 31. The price you keep quoting is for the COMPLETE POWER PACKAGE, #408CE which includes twin model marine motors, motor mounts, wired with caps, Precision universal joints, stainless steel shafts, two bearing all brass struts, all brass propeller stuffing boxes with “O” ring seals, propellers, stainless steel rudders, all brass rudder stuffing boxes with “O” ring seals, rudder tiller arms, Electronic speed control, and battery “Y” harness for the batteries hookup to the speed control, and motor “Y” harness for hookup from single speed control to the twin motors.

If you wanted to use the MACK running hardware you could have made you own setup from the standard MACK running hardware.
frankg is online now Find More Posts by frankg
Old Nov 23, 2014, 08:38 PM
Joined May 2011
148 Posts
Hey frankg
hole set up with out motors and speed control confused as to what I need......

have been looking at the Kit # 708 man that thing is awesome !!!!!