New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:12 AM
Find More Posts by FeatherlightRC
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Discussion
Foam/Carbon fiber design-32" 90g

I would like to introduce a new model for f3p. It has an all up weight of +/- 90g depending on motor and battery choice. Construction is fast and easy. There is much more info including flight and build videos at www.featherlightrc.com.
FeatherlightRC is offline Find More Posts by FeatherlightRC
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2012, 03:19 PM
Find More Posts by awood12345
Epic Win or Epic Fail!
Kent, England.
Joined Dec 2001
819 Posts
Thats a cool idea! Certainly make this lightweight structure much easier.
awood12345 is offline Find More Posts by awood12345
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:23 PM
Find More Posts by RCvehicleGuy
Mr. Foam, Tape, and Carbon
Joined Feb 2011
298 Posts
That is very cool, I suppose I need to go ahead and get away from my lame solid foam airplanes and enter the world of flimsy carbon only planes. I wonder how durable this design is? Is it as durable as it looks? If it is you should be able to smash it into the ground all day long. Carbon is very... bouncy, much more so than EPP, so this should be pretty cool...

Chris G.
RCvehicleGuy is offline Find More Posts by RCvehicleGuy
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:41 AM
Find More Posts by racie34
road wart
United States, CT, Stonington
Joined Aug 2003
2,911 Posts
looks like dozens of carbon glue joints waiting to be worked on...esp where they attach to the foam
racie34 is offline Find More Posts by racie34
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:28 AM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvehicleGuy View Post
I wonder how durable this design is? Is it as durable as it looks? If it is you should be able to smash it into the ground all day long. Carbon is very... bouncy, much more so than EPP, so this should be pretty cool...

Chris G.
That's exactly right! If you crash it, it bends and the carbon fiber bounces right back into place. Plenty of give on impact but rigid in the air. That was the whole idea behind using the epp as the perimeter material.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racie34 View Post
looks like dozens of carbon glue joints waiting to be worked on...esp where they attach to the foam
It goes together a lot easier than you might think. There is a quick build tip video on the website- www.featherlightrc.com. Every kit ships with jigs for each part. It keeps the foam aligned and shows the carbon fiber placement. No measuring etc.

If you put this airframe together with Welder glue the joints will NOT separate from the foam on impact. If you do manage to break something it would most likely be the foam itself and that goes right back together with a drop of Welder. The beauty of it is that the carbon will retain the shape after a repair: no creases, cracks or folds, so the airframe will stay true.

I'll have some video of indoor flight after this weekend.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by Finnspeed
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
986 Posts
Very innovative structure!

I wonder how light it can be built... What's the carbon rod in the wings and fuse? 0.7mm? How about wing braces and landing gear? How much of each do you have in there - I think it would be nice to calculate how much weight can be saved by replacing the rods with tube?
Finnspeed is offline Find More Posts by Finnspeed
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnspeed View Post
Very innovative structure!

I wonder how light it can be built... What's the carbon rod in the wings and fuse? 0.7mm? How about wing braces and landing gear? How much of each do you have in there - I think it would be nice to calculate how much weight can be saved by replacing the rods with tube?
I don't have access to tubes in those small diameters but it's an interesting thought. Can you point me to a list with the weight of those tubes ? It's hard to say which ones would be useful or not without actually having them in hand to see how they compare in strength to the solid rods I'm using, but I can guesstimate and see if I can work out what the weight savings might be.
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Feb 2011
298 Posts
Remember that there is such a thing as too light. Anything with the wingloading of the planes you are making had better be directed toward the F3P type pilots cause they will not perform 3D well. They won't be able to be tossed around. They won't maintain momentum in maneuvers that need it.
Like rolling harriers or tumbles. Personally I think the plane you did make is a bit too light. It is a good airframe for F3P though, depending on how it tracks and flies.
A Bit o advice that might be worth taking. Build some solid foam airplanes, stuff directed toward 3D flying and that can tumble and maintain momentum through maneuvers. Not only is it cheaper to make, but also cheaper to sell. And less specialized. That was just some advice for selling kits for planes.

Chris G.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:31 AM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCvehicleGuy View Post
Remember that there is such a thing as too light. Anything with the wingloading of the planes you are making had better be directed toward the F3P type pilots cause they will not perform 3D well. They won't be able to be tossed around. They won't maintain momentum in maneuvers that need it.

Chris G.
To me this looks like an F3P pattern type plane, not something for aggressive 3D or freestyle/AM. And the general consensus among my flying buddies is that there's no such thing as too light for F3P.

The local guys here are flying F3P planes that weigh less than this but have much larger wing area.

In any case this is a very interesting approach which could perhaps be lightened even more to make it even better for F3P. Sorry, I don't have links to manufacturer data that would have weight info but I have ordered some carbon tubes and can perform a weight comparison when I get the stuff. One source for the tubes is Robotbirds in the UK.

Some people I know swear for carbon tubes only and they keep telling me that they are not only lighter but also stiffer and stronger than the basic carbon rods. They also cost 2-3 times as much...
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by JanneL
Janne Lappi, F3A Team Finland
Helsinki, Finland
Joined Sep 2008
133 Posts
http://dpp-pultrusion.com/en/standard_products.html

Here you have manufacturer data for DPP carbon fiber products that are sold e.g. by Robotbirds. They are the best and the lightest for indoor planes.
JanneL is offline Find More Posts by JanneL
Old Feb 08, 2012, 12:16 PM
F3A Team Finland
Järvenpää, Finland
Joined Nov 2005
986 Posts
Thanks Janne - so basically you save about 30% in the weight of round carbon by replacing the rods with the same OD tubes.

Featherlight, how much carbon rod do you have in there?
Old Feb 08, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Feb 2012
38 Posts
I'll weigh it when I get a minute. I have to get a few kits ready to ship later so I'll put the carbon rods on a scale, that way there is no doubt. The last airframe I built weighed 38.7g with landing gear.

And BTW to respond to an earlier poster :this plane is designed to be flown low and slow...perfect for f3p. There are certainly planes designed for different types of flying, with faster roll rates etc., but this plane is constructed this way for a reason:To be light AND durable, unlike the lightest Depron planes.
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Feb 2011
298 Posts
Made for F3P then.
There is a market for more aggressive 3D, rip the wings off, whip around planes too. Just saying, might help with makin' money. Just keep that in mind when you start adding planes to your website.
That is a LIGHT airframe... You could go slow with that! Have fun with your building, designing, and flying!

Chris G.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:48 AM
Find More Posts by crossup
Senior to who? Member
Annapolis, Maryland USA
Joined Feb 2001
2,450 Posts
I HATE you, I've been back into the sport for less than one day and already you force me to breakout the credit card.
I just posted to the effect that after a 3 year layoff I expected flying my Maxxum and FF GB Yak would have me flying antiques but I see FF only has a few new offerings.
Now I see this and talk about catching the bleeding edge!
ORDERED
crossup is offline Find More Posts by crossup