Old Feb 09, 2013, 05:20 AM
Jim in the Desert
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Aug 2007
1,262 Posts
Discussion
Before you buy a Nitroplane...

Look at this:

Nitroplanes Kadet Senior ARF maiden! See review at the end. (2 min 55 sec)

You get what you pay for.
cloud_9 is offline Find More Posts by cloud_9
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Drill Sizes
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 06:30 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
If you were dis satisfied with Nitroplanes, you should tell everyone what you think, instead of picking on a persons video without their permission, I rather hear what you have to say about Nitroplanes, than just airing a video, One video, I have bought from them and if I had an issue with Nitroplanes I do not blame them, because a product was bad, that was a decision we all take.

Opinionated.
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Feb 09, 2013, 07:14 AM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,255 Posts
Why is a nitro powered plane rant in the electric flying section?
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:31 AM
USA, MN, Shakopee
Joined Sep 2004
1,215 Posts
Cloud_9
dont buy a eflight pulse 25 the landing gear dose the same thing, we dont know how hard the landing was, also all arfs are glued with super glue.
scottc39 is offline Find More Posts by scottc39
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:37 AM
AMA 667982 KG7NKY
Tucson, AZ, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,960 Posts
My question is, Why didn't the person who owned the plane go through and re-glue everything before flying. I do that on every ARF I buy and especially the landing gear. Most of the time it either has to be replaced or beefed up somehow before any maiden.

BTW I have several Nitro Planes models and all fly fantastic as I still have my big Nitro Planes Pole Cat electrified.
starcad is offline Find More Posts by starcad
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:59 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
How do you reach all the joints that need re-gluing? Landing gear failures are a dime a dozen, we all deal with it. Even the guy in the video seemed to take it in stride. I think at least half my fleet has needed LG repair at one point or another, and on some planes, several times over.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:08 AM
The high desert of Southern California
Joined Jul 2002
1,178 Posts
Well lets see, " a not so hard landing in the grass"

Also he knows he should have checked the joints for glue and re-glue them.

He praises the plane as the best flying kadet he has ever flown.

cloud_9, seems the guy was happy with the plane even though the gear came off.

I have a Giles 202, (2) low wing trainers, a high wing trainer, (5) foam planes, (2) gliders from Nitro. All have been great flying planes after I checked over the construction and added glue every where I could reach.

I do not trust the assembly of any plane I buy to some one working in a factory assembly line. They use Ca and hot glue to glue everything. I epoxy and or glass and epoxy the firewalls where I can. A little work on my part goes a long way in making them a better plane.

Buzz
blvdbuzzard is offline Find More Posts by blvdbuzzard
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:16 AM
United States, NC, Davidson
Joined May 2012
45 Posts
been flying "nitro" planes for 27 years and have never used expoy on anything by the firewall and that was primarly to keep the fuel from soaking in. Did look like they had some poor glue joints though.

I have always found CA to be the better glue as it will soak into the wood and make a stronger joint. Typically I found the wood would break away from the joint and not at the joint. Also epoxy is heavy and I always build a plane to fly..... not crash
osidak is offline Find More Posts by osidak
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:35 AM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,259 Posts
Every low dollar ARF always always always has to have every reachable joint CA'ed before maiden.

Always inspect landing gear attachment structure and feel free to reinforce it in anyway you can with the access that you have.

Is also a option to open up the covering and reinforce. I has done this with a few before ever flying them.

This is nothing new.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:13 AM
Like a Tortoise
Joined Jan 2013
144 Posts
So if I bought another plane it would not happen......

Preflight inspections are essential....
hare is offline Find More Posts by hare
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:30 AM
Intermediate Multi
Columbus, OH
Joined Mar 2005
3,259 Posts
I don't see a Kadet on the Nitroplanes website. How is it that they're allowed to sell what used to be a Sig kit? He's lucky the landing gear broke away as easily as it did. Otherwise, more extensive damage would have occurred. In the old days, we used to attach landing gears with rubber bands, so they would break away without causing any damage.
Trisquire is offline Find More Posts by Trisquire
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:38 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisquire View Post
I don't see a Kadet on the Nitroplanes website. How is it that they're allowed to sell what used to be a Sig kit? He's lucky the landing gear broke away as easily as it did. Otherwise, more extensive damage would have occurred. In the old days, we used to attach landing gears with rubber bands, so they would break away without causing any damage.
The story is that Sig cancelled a big ARF order and Nitro ended up with the kits.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Thomas B; Feb 09, 2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:39 AM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,510 Posts
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:44 AM
United States, NE, Kearney
Joined Dec 2011
2,232 Posts
Solution 1. Build your own plane and know you built something to last.

Solution 2. Take some fine sawdust from the belt sander and make dry fillets at all the stressed areas, then dribble thin CA onto the dry fillets. (I've been building 40 years and have found these reinforcements to be much stronger than using tri-stock with epoxy or any other method).
DustBen is offline Find More Posts by DustBen
Old Feb 09, 2013, 11:54 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,656 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc39 View Post
Cloud_9
dont buy a eflight pulse 25 the landing gear dose the same thing, we dont know how hard the landing was, also all arfs are glued with super glue.
That's quite a broad statement, don't you think? Have you pulled the covering off all ARFs and seen that they are indeed glued with super glue?

And yes, this should either be in the Nitroplanes.com section or at the very least the Fuel section.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member