Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:49 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2002
121 Posts
Discussion
1 only system for beginner to future requirements

Am trying to decide which system to invest in as I would like to have only the 1 transmitter/system that can accommodate possible future models. I know that it will be overkill while in early stages but don’t mind spending more now if it will simplify any future model’s requirements. I see this for me as being better than having several TXs and/or different systems. Am currently looking at systems such as Futaba 8J, 8FG,14SG and JR XG8/11 or possibly the Spectrum DX18 but am not wedded to any of these.

My main concern is flexibility of mixes that I may need but not be aware of now. This may involve mixing more than 2 channels with various take up points. For example say with a glider to have a start phase, initiated with 1 switch, that has 30° positive flaps, the landing gear extended, tow release is engaged, and elevator/flap compensation disabled. When released the next phase, also initiated with 1 switch, may comprise having flaps and landing gear retract, towline released and elevator/flap compensation enabled.

I have downloaded some of the manuals for the above but not clear to me if they can do this without having the real TX to play with. I believe that the Multiplex Royal Evo and Profi series can do this but not sure if the ones I am interested in can also do it. Any help or guides that go into this greatly appreciated.

Thanks
clive_fox is offline Find More Posts by clive_fox
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:09 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
951 Posts
Hitec Aurora 9.

But of course others may have different opinions, as always is the case with transmitter selections.....
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:04 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2002
121 Posts
Are you saying that ht Aurora 9 can have multiple conditions and more than 2 inputs for the mixes
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:22 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
The Hitec Aurora-9/Eclipse-7 pro and Optic-6 can do many things!
http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/Manual_Aurora9.pdf
http://www.hitecrcd.com/products/air...aft/index.html
They all have glider program,several flight conditions and P-mix.
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Dec 14, 2012, 01:24 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2002
121 Posts
OK perhaps I could rephrase my question

How many channels can be mixed/controlled by 1 switch in a flight condition or put another way can I have more than 2 channels mixed/controlled in a flight condition

Thanks
Old Dec 14, 2012, 08:56 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
11,838 Posts
Not sure exactly what you mean but the Spektrum DX-8 and Aurora 9 can do differential ailerons, 3 position flaps with elevator offsets, adjustable speed flaps and landing gear, plus aileron/rudder mix simultaneously without conflicts or clever programming. These functions are important to me for electric powered scale models. The Eclipse 7and 7S have same programming and can't do all of the above simultaneously. I'm planning to upgrade to Aurora 9 since I already have 3 Optima receivers. The Aurora 9 also has some firmware updating and simpler touch screen programming advantages over the DX-8. If you stay in RC for a number of years, you will probably buy yet another more advanced transmitter that does not exist today.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Dec 14, 2012, 11:57 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jul 2002
121 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
Not sure exactly what you mean but the Spektrum DX-8 and Aurora 9 can do differential ailerons, 3 position flaps with elevator offsets, adjustable speed flaps and landing gear, plus aileron/rudder mix simultaneously without conflicts or clever programming.
I understand most of that but not offsets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Challenged View Post
If you stay in RC for a number of years, you will probably buy yet another more advanced transmitter that does not exist today.
As I said in my original post I do not want to get another transmitter - would rather get an advanced one now and grow into it.

What I am basically asking is it possible to have 3+ channels mixed together operated by the one switch and have the point at which they become active set by me from whatever joystick/lever I assign it to

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:49 AM
Joined May 2010
1,616 Posts
I think this might satisfied all your future concerns. Jeti Duplex 2.4Ghz Radio Systems, DC-16 or DS-16
Unlimited programing
Unlimited memory
Solid CNC case
Telemetry
Voice, Music

Zb/Esprit Model

http://www.espritmodel.com/jeti-cz.aspx

Jeti Duplex DS-16 Introduction "Voice, Telemetry & Accelerometers (8 min 49 sec)
Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Last edited by Esprit Model; Dec 15, 2012 at 05:20 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:34 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esprit Model View Post
I think this might satisfied all your future concerns.
Except it would give you a concern about your bank balance...

Not only is the transmitter expensive - which as a one off purchase can be justified, the receivers are incredibly so too.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:31 PM
Taranis Tyro...
United Kingdom, England, Hitchin
Joined Jan 2004
3,613 Posts
If you can find one pickup a secondhand Multiplex Royal Evo on FM and convert it to 2.4 with a FrSky DHT-U module - rock solid RF, cheap RXs, telemetry and lots of mixing flexibility. Alternatively if you can wait the upcoming FrSky X12D and X16D are likely to fulfil all your requirements at a much lower cost than the Jeti, though no-one knows their exact functionality and build quality as yet.
MattyB is online now Find More Posts by MattyB
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MattyB; Dec 15, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:38 PM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,481 Posts
My vote Hitec Autora 9. Yes. You can do the mix on the Aurora that you were asking about.
Dale 813 is online now Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Dec 18, 2012, 05:31 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,541 Posts
Save some money and get one of these due out before xmas:

http://turnigy9xr.com/
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:14 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800 View Post
Save some money and get one of these due out before xmas:

http://turnigy9xr.com/
I clicked the buy now and was routed to the HK home page, but there's no listing for the 9xr on the site
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:00 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,541 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
I clicked the buy now and was routed to the HK home page, but there's no listing for the 9xr on the site
Its due to be released between dec 20 and 24 according to hk facebook site. So try later.
ChrisJ800 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Old Dec 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
Sverige, Värmlands Län, Filipstad
Joined Jan 2009
1,141 Posts
Hi,
I do not know how old You are and how easy You think it will be for You to program a modern computer menu settings radio. If You never have done any programming on a modern high end radio it may be You feel it is a steep learning curve before You understand what You need to do to achive desired results. But it might as well You think it is rather easy to understand all this.

You indicate Your budget since You mentioned Futaba 14SG and Spektrum DX18. Futaba 14SG is the latest radio from Futaba and it can do about everyting a beginner and more advanced user may need but it do not have so called conditions for airplane (but have it for heli and glider) - for that You need Futaba higher end radio.
You probably want telemetry altough it is not a "must have thing" really. Both Futaba 14SG and Spektrum DX18 has telemetry. DX18 is also avaliable in a special edition DX18QQ (Quique Somenzini) that You may as well check out if You have the extra money for such radio.
For a beginner it is in my opinion little overkill to jump on the high end radios like Futaba 18MZ or the high end radios of most other manufacturer. You simply will not need and use the advaced features these radios have for long time and by the time You may start to use it You probably have started to look for a new radio anyway. So a mid segment radio, feature and costwise, is probabablu wiser to aim at now.
I use Futaba 14MZ myself but if I was to buy a brand new radio today probably 14SG would be more then enough for me. Futaba 18MZ would of course a dream radio but with the very high price tag it has it will be a just a dream for me, at least now.
It has never been so many good radios out there to choose among as it is today and that makes it difficult to decide on one. But it is a nice problem to try to solve.

Good luck!

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee