HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2013, 06:46 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
The plane showed up today and everything looks fine. One question, with the new front end on the plane, will a DLE30 fit inside it including the muffler?

Chuck
019019cjl is offline Find More Posts by 019019cjl
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2013, 11:40 AM
SBP
United States, PA, Waynesboro
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
I believe you are going to have to do a little front end mod with the stock muffler. My friend had to cut his to fit.
SBP is online now Find More Posts by SBP
Old Oct 28, 2013, 04:48 PM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
DLE 30 on the new Pilot
Old Oct 28, 2013, 06:19 PM
United States, FL, Fort Myers
Joined Jun 2008
131 Posts
Thanks for the picture. The DLE-30 arrived today. Just finished installing the flat pin hinges.

Chuck
019019cjl is offline Find More Posts by 019019cjl
Old Nov 23, 2013, 07:45 PM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Not much left of her after a total loss of signal from about 100 ft high. The engine started to miss and I was comming around to land when I had no control. I always thought the controls went back to what you had when you bound the tx to the rx . Not so with this signal loss. It was suggested the battery came loose but the batteries were locked in foam under the wing and the connections taped. If you zoom in on the engine that is a piece of plywood stuck in the ignition box
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Mar 2010
2 Posts
Hi guys,

I have a dle 30cc and I am looking for something like an ultra stick lite.

What is your experience so far with this trainer 90 ?

I an especially interested in feedbacks regarding aerobatic and 3D.

Thanks in advance for your help

btw, sorry for your plane SBP
elofix is offline Find More Posts by elofix
Old Dec 19, 2013, 09:01 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
It sounds like ign noise killed your signal. The miss sounds like the plug cap loosing up and starts arcing. I've experienced it on the ground.
The DLE 30 is by far the hardest plug wire to put on. And many people leave the grounding spring off.
On my DLE I removed circle clip and put a hose clamp there to hold better.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Dec 21, 2013, 08:08 PM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
. After going over what was left of the plane, I found the power wire to the reciever burned up. There is no way to tell if this was the cause or the result of the crash.Guys at the club suggest from my description of what went on , I lost reciever power. Switch failure ? Hard to determine from what was left. I'll do my new one a little different electrically. It should be here after Christmas I'll do the hose clamp too This was my first large gas plane so I'm still learning. It is very possible the plug wire got loose. Bet it doesn't happen again.
Last edited by SBP; Dec 21, 2013 at 08:50 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 08:22 PM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
I should put in a good word for Tony at Pilot RC. The plane was totaled. Both wings busted ,nothing left but the rear half of the fusealage. Tony offered to send all the necessary parts to do the repair, wing parts and all, if I wanted to try to repair it. I didn't think I had the building skills to do this repair but the parts were offered. Can't ask for more than that.
Last edited by SBP; Dec 21, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2014, 08:16 AM
Joined Jun 2005
103 Posts
Hello all.
Is anybody actually using this airplane for flight training? I ordered one for use as a club trainer and it is almost ready for the maiden flight.
I have a brand new Zenoah G-23 never used, so I decided to use it rather than to buy another engine. Also because this would not be a 3D application. Well this was designed for a DLE engine, and the moment I opened the box I realized that the G-23 would not fit without extensive modification. The fuselage is just too narrow. This makes it difficult to use a larger fuel tank also.
Mine is the new version of the plane, with cowl extension and carbon fiber landing gear. I had to cut away the cowl, cut out the firewall and make a new firewall of 3/8" hardwood with tri-stock behind. Then 1" wood stand-offs for this engine. The whole task took about one day's work. So for those planning to use any engine other than a DLE expect some extra work.

I used the hinges provided, but I have ordered Radio South 1/4 scale CA hinges from Tower for upgrade. These are the thick blue material that will not tear.
I don't like the control linkages much either. The geometry isn't right at the horns. We'll see what happens later, but I'll use them for now.

The wing is very nice, I love it. I have no problems there.

My main concern with this airplane is the landing gear.These are just my opinions... I see where very few of us are using the nose wheel set-up. The length of the strut will certainly lead to problems with bending and sloppy steering from flexing and tire twist under load. Especially in grass. The main landing gear seems to have been matched to the length of the nose strut in height, but the whole thing could be 2" lower (atleast for my 16" prop). The plane sits precariously high off the ground and appears to be quite unstable in the tri-gear config. The wheel-base is extremely narrow. For a plane this size I can't see where it won't tip over in a crosswind or anything more than a very slow taxi speed. Also, for training, a wide-track aluminium main gear seems more appropriate than the stiff, narrow carbon gear legs which may not stand up to the abuse.
My plane is still yet to be tested so we'll see. For my personal use none of the things mentioned above is really an issue, but for a flight training non-3D work-horse these are my concerns.
northwest is offline Find More Posts by northwest
Old Mar 26, 2014, 04:18 PM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Northwest, have you finished the Pilot yet? Just wanted to know what you decided on the landing gear. I'm about to start my second one. The first was lost due to control failure. I'll still build the tail dragger as with the 30cc ,ground handling on take off isn't a problem. It doesn't stay on the ground very long. Pin hinges on all control surfaces and 440 ball links for all control linkages with Dubro control horns
Old May 03, 2014, 02:41 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,295 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBP View Post
Not much left of her after a total loss of signal from about 100 ft high. The engine started to miss and I was comming around to land when I had no control. I always thought the controls went back to what you had when you bound the tx to the rx . Not so with this signal loss. It was suggested the battery came loose but the batteries were locked in foam under the wing and the connections taped. If you zoom in on the engine that is a piece of plywood stuck in the ignition box
The fact that your engine started to miss just before you lost control would be a real indication of electric power problems IF your engine was being powered from the same battery as your RC system... If not, discard this and look at other things.

99 % of modern RC systems have failsafe settings, if your controls did not go to failsafe once control was lost, it is a real indication of a power problem. Burnt Power wire on the RX, when you get these many things adding up it becomes obvious that there was a problem somewhere in the planes electric system.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old May 07, 2014, 08:05 PM
SBP
Joined Aug 2011
97 Posts
Seperate batteries for reciever and ignition is what was recommended . Miracle switches. I thought I had everything covered and still the unexplaned malfunction that crashed the plane. Started another one, it's really a fun plane to fly. Again everything will be new. I'm not reusing anything from the crashed plane. Failsafe pin switches this time. Other than that, I don't know what I could do differently. Any suggestions are appreciated.