HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 07, 2012, 09:58 PM
United States, CA, Anaheim
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Discussion
YardBird Modifications: Ailerons/Rudders/KF2 Airfoil

Anyone add KF airfoil (Type 1/2/3/4) to their Yardbird?

The KF2 airfoil made a great improvement to my mini. I ususally fly in 6 mph winds. At high and low speeds it is more stable and handles better. I beveled the leading edges. It strengthen the motor mount so hard landings does not crack the foam.

I like the Mini YB-22 better than its big brother.

If you have added ailerons and or rudders to your YardBird model could you post a photo here and describe how it handles with the extra weight?

Since I get more lift with the KF2 airfoil I thought I would add rudders on my next build. Anyone tried it already?

The bottom of the plane in the photo is painted light gray. The hologram reflective stickers on the wing show up like bright lights in the sunlight. They are from a local craftstore - a 8-1/2x11" sticker you cut out to fit your plane.
knight2hug is offline Find More Posts by knight2hug
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2012, 10:51 PM
Insert comment here:
Placentia, CA
Joined Feb 2006
980 Posts
Where about in Anaheim do you fly???
totalywicked is offline Find More Posts by totalywicked
Old Jul 09, 2012, 10:56 AM
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
I fly at city parks where it is legal. It is not legal in many towns. I used to live in Torrance, CA. A gas powered model airplane buzzed and hit the Goodyear Blimp ripping a hole forcing the pilot to do an emergency landing. The city then passed a law that all model aircraft were forbidden and a $10,000 fine. That was the main reason I moved to Orange County.

No matter where you live you should call your local police department and ask for the code enforcement officer. Tell the officer you have a small ELECTRIC parkflyer radio/controlled model airplane and is it legal to fly it at city parks. You usually will be told that gas powered models are illegal but there is no law against electric model airplanes. Write his name down and keep it with you should you be approached at the park by a police officer.
Old Jul 15, 2012, 05:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Airbrakes added YB-22

Here are photos of the Rudders I added to my YB-22 Yardbird Park Jet. I did not want to cut up my original YB-22 so to experiment I used the templates to cutout another jet the same size. It's green because that was the only foam safe paint I had at the time. If you have trouble seeing your plane at 400 feet away put some hologram silver stickers on the top of the plane. They shine very bright in the sun and you will never lose orientation.

This green YB-22 is all standard parts with motor/esc/battery/servos from Yardbird. The elevons are set to 50 degree throws like the manual says. But at slow speeds I have a problem turning. Adding the rudders made a HUGE difference. Just like you need rudder to hover a 3D foamy, you need rudder on the YB-22 to handle better at slow speeds. At low speed using rudders I can make the plane do a half turn (reverse direction) within a 3 foot radius. And with a light wind blowing I can hover motionless for over a minute.

The improvement is so great that I am ordering two micro servos to put rudders on my mini YB-22 and adding rudders and airbrakes to my black original YB-22.

The Airbrakes are effective. I can level out from a dive and cut the motor and switch on the airbrakes and watch the plane quickly go from 60 mph to 6 mph. Quite a fun sight. You should try it.

I know someone will probably ask about the airbrake mix so here it is:

The plane has a Spektrum AR600 receiver. I have a Spektrum DX8 transmitter.
Right rudder servo on channel 4 - Rudder.
Left rudder servo on channel 6 - Aux 1.

Mix 1 - Links Rudder channels 4 & 6
RUD > AUX1, 100%, 100%, 0%, Sw: On

Mix 2 - Set Channel 4 to switch airbrake
RUD > RUD, 0%, -125%, 100%, Sw: Ele D/R

Mix 3 - Set Channel 6 to switch airbrake
RUD > AUX1, 0%, +125%, 100%, Sw: Ele D/R
Last edited by knight2hug; Jul 21, 2012 at 01:05 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2012, 07:51 AM
United States, CA, Long Beach
Joined Sep 2011
28 Posts
Nice Set Up!
Chris72 is offline Find More Posts by Chris72
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:34 AM
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
2x4 changed to 4x4 for better slow flight control

I keep finding new ideas on the forum. I read that changing to a 4x4 configuration gives you better slow flight control.
The YB-22 comes in a 2x4 configuration with Tailerons (see note below).

2 x 4 = Tailerons only – 2 control surfaces: Left Taileron and Right Taileron (each on a servo)
4 x 4 = Ailerons and Tailerons – 4 control surfaces: Left & Right Tailerons and Left & Right Ailerons
..... 4 Aircraft movements: Pitch Up, Pitch Down, Roll Left, Roll Right.

In case you are confused about Elevons and Tailerons, both combine elevator and ailerons for pitch and roll control.
An Elevon is the control surface on the wing of a Delta wing aircraft.
A Taileron is the horizontal stabilizer tail of the aircraft with full movement.

The problem with Tailerons on a model landing on a grass/dirt field is that the leading edge is low to the ground and may break off. So the Yardbird model does not have Tailerons, just split elevators which can be called Elevons because the elevators and ailerons are mixed.

The nice thing about making your own plane out of inexpensive hardware store 6mm foam is that it is easy to experiment with. When I added rudders to my YB22 it greatly improved the handling at low speed and let me hover in place if I had a good headwind. I wanted to see if changing from 2x4 to 4x4 would let me hover better in less wind.

It did. It works so well I am adding 4x4 and rudders to my YardBird Mini YB-22.
Here are photos of the servo links.
Last edited by knight2hug; Jul 22, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Do you think leading edge flaps would work?

BlitzRCWorks makes a 41 inch Super F22. It has leading edge and trailing edge flaps operating off the same servo. On my green experimental 24 inch YardBird YB-22 I was thinking about adding leading edge flaps to see if I could fly even slower. I would leave the full length ailerons alone in their current 4x4 configuration.

Leading edge flaps take a great wind buffeting at high speeds. I would use 1 metal gear servo in the center with 2 bellcranks to operate the leading edge flaps.

There is a 6mm foamy of a Russian Pak Fa T-50 but instead of having actual working canards it has leading edge flaps and it flys very slow. This makes me think that adding leading edge flaps to my YB22 would work. What do you think?

I also wondered if I should add a KF-2 airfoil to give it more lift to support the extra servo? The T-50 foamy has it. That would be 5 servos on the plane. It is flying so well now that I hesitate to cut into the wing to try more modifications.

I would appreciate some opinions. Do you think LE flaps would help me fly at a slower speed?

-Rocky
Last edited by knight2hug; Jul 23, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old Jul 24, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Can your YB-22 fly backwards?

I forgot to mention when I converted my YB-22 from 2x4 to 4x4 (added ailerons to elevons) I had a terrible first flight. I was over-controlling the aircraft. The YardBird manual says to set the elevons at 50 degrees if you are an experience pilot. This angle is the same used by 3D foamies to hover. But the YB22 goes fast so you need to have the D/R switch on to reduce the travel for high speed which I did when it was 2x4. But, when I added the ailerons to the elevons for 4x4 it doubled the control surface area giving me faster turns. I was over-controlling the plane even with Expo at 50%.

Programmable transmitters are great. In the old days I would have to move the control rod to a different hole in the servo arm and control horn. Now I can adjust the servo travel either in the servo menu or the D/R menu. Since I had to change the travel for both fast and slow flight, I used the D/R menu.

For 4x4 I changed the aileron D/R from 100% to 70% for slow flight and 70% to 40% for fast flight. Same changes to the elevator. I also changed the Expo to 80%. The plane now flys very well. The 4x4 gives you better control at slow speed making it much easier to hover in the wind. Since I can easily maintain a high alpha hover in the wind, the plane actually moves backwards across the field. I can repeatedly do this.

Anyone like to see a video of it flying backwards?
Old Jul 25, 2012, 04:26 AM
MB326 Dino Driver
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2006
80 Posts
Does this count?

Does this count as a Yardbird Modification?? took the engine mount, dual canopy, and dimensions for the "prop slot" ( it's the same width as the Hornet which I based my dimensions off) and re shaped a new bird,... same principle,..keep it simple,... still in the prototype stage ,.. but coming along,..
Macchi326Driver is offline Find More Posts by Macchi326Driver
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Nice Tomcat

Thanks for posting your modifiy bird Tomcatdriver.

Most foamies have side braces for strength. Your open prop side area has no braces which leaves it weak and would crack on a hard landing or pulling out of a steep dive. You could add a short carbon tube for strength on each side or have a small foam brace on the top or bottom. So you like Tomcats .... so do I. I always wanted a swing wing flying model.

Here are two sites with F14 pusher prop foamies:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=769451&page=7

www.6mmflyrc.com

Both have the 6mm foam aircraft pdf plans are free. And all the construction photos have a detailed description.
Last edited by knight2hug; Jul 27, 2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Added Rudders to Mini YB22

My micro servos came from Yardbird and I used them to install twin rudders on their mini YB22. I gave them the same throw as it's big green brother. Being so small, adding the two servos really affected the CG and I had to put 1/4 oz of lead in the nose to balance it. I was expecting this when I built it which is why I added the KF-2 airfoil on the wing to give me extra lift to offset the extra weight. It works well.

What a huge difference the rudders make. The KF-2 airfoil I put on the mini made it very stable. Too stable. Even though I had the Elevons do a 50 degree throw, at low speeds, such as 1/3 throttle, it would not turn. I don't care now if it wants to stay level at low speeds because adding the rudders lets it turn easily. They really help in holding a high angle of attack and maintaining a hover. I get a 6 mph ocean breeze every afternoon at my field so I can easily hover motionless in the wind like a kite.

It's a completely different airplane. Way more fun to fly now. This mini and it's big brother are the best airplanes I have ever owned. I might put a 6 channel receiver in it so I can have airbrakes. My green YB22 does something no other airplane of mine will do:

I can hover into the wind at ground level right in front of me in a high angle of attack and watch the slight wind move the airplane backwards. Then apply full power and go straight up, then fly to the end of the field and go into a dive, level out at ground level and fly fast on the deck straight back to me, put on the air brakes and go from 60 to 6 mph to stop right in front of me, then go back into a hover. Try that with your plane :-)

-Rocky
Last edited by knight2hug; Jul 27, 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 03:22 AM
MB326 Dino Driver
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2006
80 Posts
this only a taped together mockup at the moment whilst I figure out, if everything fits yet and where all the tabs go. I agree with the side bracing, as I will have to add some to my YB Hornet aswell,.. hopefully if I can get another one cut this weekend I will start a build thread maybe,.. not sure if there would be any interest though,... there are so many Tomcats out there,...
Macchi326Driver is offline Find More Posts by Macchi326Driver
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Made the Navy F22 Version

After experimenting with a green clone of the YardBird YB-22 kit I liked all my modifications of adding rudders and ailerons linked to the elevons (4x4) so I finally built the original kit. Note on the bottom photo the extra foam braces in the jet intake. The mini has this but the larger Parkjet YB-22 does not. My green clone broke here twice on hard landings. So I added this extra brace to strengthen the frame on the new one. It seems to be working well.

I read that the Navy was once interested in a version of the F-22 (see photo) so I ordered the YardBird F-18 Navy Hornet decals and put them on my F-22 with the Navy Jolly Roger theme. It turns heads at the field. The Navy instead went with the VTOL F-35 version but my Navy Raptor looks good.

I am pleased at how well it handles at low speed with modifications compared with elevons only. I am going to add ailerons to the mini now.
Last edited by knight2hug; Aug 02, 2012 at 03:35 PM.
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
Replaced Mini Servos with MG

My 16" Mini YB22 without ailerons did not fly as slow as my 24" Parkjet YB22 so I stalled a few times and the hard landings broke the mini's servo gears. When I added two micro servos for the rudders it made the small plane very tail heavy and I had to add lead to the nose to balance the CG.

Since I had to replace the elevon servos, I moved their location an inch forward to balance the CG and I was able to remove the lead nose weight. I used HS-65MG (Metal Gear) mini servos. I then added ailerons with the 4x4 linkage.

Wow! What a difference in handling at slow speed the ailerons made and the plane being lighter. Now the mini flys nice like its big brother.

A note of interest: With all my hard landings with the mini and breaking its servos, the body never cracked. The mini YB22 has two extra foam braces in the air intake duct. The larger YB22 does not and it has cracked often. Since I added this brace to the big YB22 I no longer have a problem. You might want to add that to yours.
Old Aug 09, 2012, 03:41 PM
Joined Oct 2011
73 Posts
From 6mm blue foam from the hardware store I cut out a clone to my YB-22 kit to experiment with modifications. The standard plane comes in a 2x4 configuration; 2 control surfaces (split elevators mixed as elevons) move the plane in 4 directions (pitch up/down, roll left/right).

My 1st modification was to add rudders because below 1/3 throttle I could not turn left or right. This solved my low speed steering problem and helped me maintain a hover in a light breeze.

My 2nd modification was to add ailerons linked to the elevons making it 4x4 - 4 control surfaces. This made it more stable at low speed and easier to control in a high alpha nose up position.

After reading this thread about leading edge flaps (the real F-22 has them):

http://rcpowers.com/community/thread...uestion.10786/

I did my 3rd modification to my green clone YB-22 adding leading edge flaps making it 6x4 - 6 control surfaces moved by 2 servos. At full down elevator the flaps are level. At neutral elevator the flaps are half down. At full up elevator the LE flaps are full down. It did not affect high speed flight or change the trim.

I was shocked at the improvement of the 6x4 configuration. I can fly much slower and maintain a much higher alpha position with solid control. On a windless or windy day it flys well. I can go to 200 feet and go into a alpha hover and back off the throttle and bring the plane down vertically to land at my feet. With a 6 mph wind I can hover 6 ft off the ground and have the wind move it backwards.

If I had to get rid of all my planes except one, I would keep this modified YB-22 because it is so much fun. I never had a plane that would accelerate straight up, do aerobatics of large loops, Cuban Eights and with the rudders do Hammerheads, zoom high across the field then stop motionless and hover, not moving at all, looking like a kite in the sky, then roar down to the deck and fly inverted low across the field with the rudders just above the grass, then flip over and do 3D tricks. The rudders let you reverse direction in a few feet. And if the wind is strong it will move backwards while in the hover. I'll post a video of this soon.

What a great plane!
Last edited by knight2hug; Aug 15, 2012 at 01:46 PM.