Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Get Real, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 06:52 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Discussion
3D EDF's Or Pusher Jets? Maiden Video

Trying the delta pusher jet thing again. Picked up a stryker q when they came out,it can do some basic 3d stuff and has good speed but ive always had an interest in making a real 3d jet good for slow speed flying in tight areas that doesnt have to have ballistic speeds. Since i started making scratchbuilt foamies a lot of the stuff i had in mind for a 3d jet has come to fruition by manufacturers and other scratch builders and over the past few years the edf jets really have raised the bar with thrust vectoring nozzles and gyros etc truly giving edf's 3d flight ability but the edf downfall is its nowhere near as efficient at making power and thrust like pusher prop set ups. An edf fan is a lot easier to conceal than a pusher prop to keep a jet looking scale but im more concerned with maneuverability than scale looks. Have some power set up stuff to try some things out with pusher jets and cut out something quick,eventually when i get more owens i'll work on a nicer looking much larger plane than this one.. Bigger flys better and 48'' wing span with 60'' or so length is about the size i want to make future pusher jets that can 3D well on the cheap. Some of the ones currently out are just to over-engineered and expensive,they look really nice and look to perform well but ive been on the fence about getting one and i cant justify $400.00 for one myself.. especially with questionable gear being used and very mixed feedback from people flying them on overall quality.

Maiden flight
Scratch Built Delta Pusher Jet Maiden Flight (2 min 46 sec)
Get Real is offline Find More Posts by Get Real
Last edited by Get Real; Jul 17, 2011 at 07:52 PM. Reason: added video
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2011, 12:10 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Pusher Jet

Like the little jet and am wondering if you have a build thread? Looks like an interesting project I would like to copy.
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Aug 01, 2011, 01:36 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
No build thread,just experimenting with delta jet designs.
Old Aug 01, 2011, 03:02 PM
Watt Waster
Joined Oct 2010
1,830 Posts
Pusher Delta Foamie Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Get Real View Post
No build thread,just experimenting with delta jet designs.
I think you have a really good, basic design, which reminds me of a few jets in service. I think I might be able to figure out most of the cut lines, but I am curious about details like COG and such. It would be nice to have a "slow jet" that can handle a bit of wind since the clubs field tends to be windy most days. What is keeping me off the field these days is the extreme heat. Just cannot take the heat as in my days of youth and I didn't like it much then either.

Does anyone else have a similar design in a build thread?
Tsavah is offline Find More Posts by Tsavah
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:43 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsavah View Post
I think you have a really good, basic design, which reminds me of a few jets in service. I think I might be able to figure out most of the cut lines, but I am curious about details like COG and such. It would be nice to have a "slow jet" that can handle a bit of wind since the clubs field tends to be windy most days. What is keeping me off the field these days is the extreme heat. Just cannot take the heat as in my days of youth and I didn't like it much then either.

Does anyone else have a similar design in a build thread?
I like basic planes,most of what i build from scratch gets cut out in one night. Ive cut out more complicated stuff but it usually would take a week and would be difficult for many to replicate easily unlike most of what i cut out now,eventually i'll put more time into a plane or two and give it a full fuselage and better aesthetics. Might shape a nice fuse for the park jet soon just to give it better looks. Cutting them out quick and working on overall flight performance and maneuverability is primary,looks are secondary. Your more than welcome to replicate the plane and i could take some measurements and info to pass along. CG is rough but close enough to keep a decent pilot from crashing,Ive flown with the cg fore and aft about and inch each way. Not sure if anyone has a similar design,im sure there has to be something similar somewhere out there.. im fairly new to the park jet stuff and im sure theres tons of scratch built deltas out there. Heres the main thread for the GRX with plans.. Some liked that plane and someone was nice enough to take the dimensions and turn it into a cad rendering to make plans available for anyone to try and thats where i posted about the park jet. When i finish up the bigger plane i'll build maybe a 40'' wingspan park jet and a 48'' one to probably.

Heres a video of the park jet in its current configuration,went to pick up supplies for a much larger 3d foamie im making and took it with to get a quick flight in with a different power set up.

Park Jet Flying At Construction Site (6 min 2 sec)
Old Aug 02, 2011, 11:53 PM
Flippin Multirotors
Illinois
Joined Feb 2006
4,978 Posts
Almost forgot,someone suggested i start a thread for the park jet in the scratch build section.. i started a thread for the park jet HERE. I'll probaly post any updates there for it since thats a thread for the park jet now and the grx thread is primarily for 3d style planes.