HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:11 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
Discussion
throttle won't turn off all the way

I should have posted this question in here first - oops.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post13562677

A few times my motor has still been on (slightly) during landing/gliding, but the throttle stick/gimble is all the way down.

I had throttle trim set to default (zero) the first time this occured then set it to -11 for awhile, but the problem happened again.

I am using a new Optic 6 Tx and new Berg 7. My trusty Hitec Flash 5 Tx and Hitec 555 rx never did anything weird like this. I have been using the same old Phoenix 25 on this plane for a few years w/o issues and have not changed any ESC settings in years.

I do not recall this happening (so far anyhow) with my other planes (using the new Optic 6). My other planes use Berg 4L and Hitec 555 receivers.

I have one or two ideas of what the problem could be. I have not checked the ESC's auto throttle detection/calibration setting. Maybe it is not set to "auto" (auto would likely work). I have not changed any settings in the ESC though in years and it worked until I upgraded to the optic 6 and berg 7.

Another symptom is that the RF link failed for a few seconds during a flight - very scary. I wonder if the link fails often but I do not notice it, and because of that failure, the throttle gets recalibrated (incorrectly) by the ESC. I'm hoping the link failure was due to me perhaps pointing the antenna towards the plane (but my flash 5 Tx / 555 Rx combo never had issues).
Block is offline Find More Posts by Block
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2009, 09:42 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
953 Posts
Try Throttle on fixed-endpoint

I read the other thread...I would run my setup in throttle endpoint rather than auto-calibrate. This would allow you to set the throttle so it is the same every time. I would range test the whole system to make sure you are indeed not having a range problem.

After calibrating the fixed-endpoint throttle as directed in the castle link I would run my trim in the middle ( 0 ) and make sure it never changes. I am not familiar with the Optic 6 menus but some radios have throttle cut and trim memory....make sure to always have the throttle trim in the same place to cut off. I hope this helps.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old Nov 12, 2009, 10:54 AM
Olathe,KS,USA
Joined Oct 2000
2,654 Posts
I agree with Clint - -the radio is glitching and resetting the "off" position during the flight. If you want to use auto-calibrate, but continue to get the slow running after flying, just throttle to full throttle and back to off throttle once on the ground before flying. This will lock the auto-calibrate positions, and prevent the bottom throttle position from changing during flight.

Patrick
Patrick del Castillo is offline Find More Posts by Patrick del Castillo
Old Nov 12, 2009, 11:58 AM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
I feared it was the radio glitches. :-( Not too happy if it's my new radio system at fault - arg! I have not seen this problem with my other planes (using the same Tx), and the Phoenix 25 has been fine for years, so if it is radio related, I'd have to point at the receiver. I however have not flown a lot with the new radio to be 100% confident my other planes are OK. One has a hitec 555 but most are berg 4's. Phoenix 10 and Thunderbird ESCs.

Maybe I damaged the Berg 7's antenna wire during installation, who knows. Should I send the Berg in to get checked? Someone should wiggle the antenna wire while testing it.

PS: Patrick, we met 3 years ago at NEAT (we discussed your project at Owego).
Old Nov 12, 2009, 04:58 PM
Castle's Chaos Corner
Olathe, KS (next to the Castle)
Joined Jun 2001
1,649 Posts
Block,

Change the 'Throttle Type' in the ESCS programing to 'Fixed Endpoint' and the problem will go away.
Bernie Wolfard is offline Find More Posts by Bernie Wolfard
Old Nov 12, 2009, 07:14 PM
Syracuse, NY (USA)
Joined Dec 2004
2,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Wolfard View Post
Block,

Change the 'Throttle Type' in the ESCS programing to 'Fixed Endpoint' and the problem will go away.
That seems like a "work-around" for the throttle problem, but I might have a radio (receiver) issue.