HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:28 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,386 Posts
Glad to hear you are getting your plane dialed in the way you like it. It's always more fun that way!!

SteveT
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:33 PM
3D Wannabe
United States, NJ, Mendham Township
Joined Jul 2011
837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
damnit, I have to stop posting at 6am. I meant maybe they made your tail out of oak...
Haha! You're doing it again! You'll never get to set up the CG for my planes!

(Yes you will! I'm going to enlist your services when it's time to maiden my 72...)
NJSwede is offline Find More Posts by NJSwede
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:35 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
it's true. the real lesson, for me anyway, is that you should always be open to tweaking your setup. I have a tendency to set it and forget it, but my increasing desire to have the plane flying the same way every flight is causing me to reexamine.
Irg is offline Find More Posts by Irg
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:46 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,471 Posts
I am running the 4330 on my 72" and I am slightly nose heavy with my 6s 5000 packs.

I am running a 2200 mah 2s for receiver pack though, but I plan on ordering some smaller ones.

When I did the finger test on the plane, I though it was tail heavy also, but I flew it anyways and it was fine.
wamsy55 is offline Find More Posts by wamsy55
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:46 PM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
was out flying today and my canopy flew off and is destroyed ,i forgot the screws for the canopy and relied on the spring catch to hold it on,it is a gasser,shouldn't have flown it but i was already at the field and what the heck right,well was moving and grooving and pop ,there it went.it still flew great even without the canopy so i finished the tank and brought it home, so i am on the hunt for a blue canopy for the red,white and blue extra if anyone has one they are willing to give up please pm me thank you in advance,
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Jan 13, 2013, 04:50 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJSwede View Post
Haha! You're doing it again! You'll never get to set up the CG for my planes!

(Yes you will! I'm going to enlist your services when it's time to maiden my 72...)
clearly I don't know the tail from the nose.

I stayed local today due to the weather not being ideal, but I'll let you know next time I'm headed to GCA.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
it's true. the real lesson, for me anyway, is that you should always be open to tweaking your setup. I have a tendency to set it and forget it, but my increasing desire to have the plane flying the same way every flight is causing me to reexamine.
A former member at Floyd Bennett who was known through out the imac scene mentioned early on that it would take close to 100 flights to trim out his airplane before he would fly it in competition. So your right you always have to tweak it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55 View Post
I am running the 4330 on my 72" and I am slightly nose heavy with my 6s 5000 packs.

I am running a 2200 mah 2s for receiver pack though, but I plan on ordering some smaller ones.

When I did the finger test on the plane, I though it was tail heavy also, but I flew it anyways and it was fine.
Where do you have the receiver pack ? On top of the main flight packs.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:10 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by livinma1 View Post
A former member at Floyd Bennett who was known through out the imac scene mentioned early on that it would take close to 100 flights to trim out his airplane before he would fly it in competition. So your right you always have to tweak it.

Where do you have the receiver pack ? On top of the main flight packs.
Behind the main pack, but in front of the wing tube.
Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:21 PM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Behind the main pack, but in front of the wing tube.
Gotcha.. I was also thinking about switching to a receiver pack for additional weight vs using the Castle BEC... I searched some past posts and a lot of guys ended up putting weight since they came out pretty tail heavy also. I will just add the dead weight and fly the blasted thing.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 05:39 PM
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Brooklyn, NY
Joined Apr 2009
7,648 Posts
Quote:
Gotcha.. I was also thinking about switching to a receiver pack for additional weight vs using the Castle BEC... I searched some past posts and a lot of guys ended up putting weight since they came out pretty tail heavy also. I will just add the dead weight and fly the blasted thing.
Mark, if you need weight do the BEC pro and a battery to power it. working well for me, but clearly we have slightly different airframes.

I just watched this all the way through. really fun to watch, wamsy.
3DHS 72" Extra: (7 min 10 sec)
Old Jan 14, 2013, 09:07 PM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Mark, if you need weight do the BEC pro and a battery to power it. working well for me, but clearly we have slightly different airframes.

http://youtu.be/HRUH7iuO-Ds
So de-solder the BEC Pro from my ESC and put on some leads and plug in the receiver pack to the bec pro. And I guess I can then run my hitec 7955s at the 8volts.. What battery pack are you using ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:42 PM
USA, MI, Portage
Joined Feb 2009
597 Posts
I'm getting ready to throw money down on a Motrolfly 5320. All this talk about needing weight up front, Is it worth getting the carbon fiber x-mount to save weight? Normally I would, but it sounds like this plane cold use a little extra weight up front.
chq28 is offline Find More Posts by chq28
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:46 PM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chq28 View Post
I'm getting ready to throw money down on a Motrolfly 5320. All this talk about needing weight up front, Is it worth getting the carbon fiber x-mount to save weight? Normally I would, but it sounds like this plane cold use a little extra weight up front.
Without the lightened backplate it will not line up with the pre-existing blind nuts. You will have to redrill and use a nut on the inside to lock in your new screws or bolts. In hindsight I should of just kept the entire motor together and just redrill but I have no tools with me since moving.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:52 PM
Team 3DHS
Nashville , Tennessee
Joined Jan 2009
5,471 Posts
Quote:

http://youtu.be/HRUH7iuO-Ds
Thanks IRG.

Quote:
So de-solder the BEC Pro from my ESC and put on some leads and plug in the receiver pack to the bec pro. And I guess I can then run my hitec 7955s at the 8volts.. What battery pack are you using ?
I am also running 7955's at 8 volts .. and they are awesome on this plane.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:01 PM
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Thanks IRG.

I am also running 7955's at 8 volts .. and they are awesome on this plane.
Nice.. I will see how much weight I need to atleast get the plane to balance. I might need a 2s 2200 pack..
RCG Plus Member