Mar 05, 2012, 10:11 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

A Little Disappointed With My Phase 3 F-16

So i started putting it together last night and the starboard wing doesn't match up. It's too flat and a little warped. the portside wing fits beatifully, but the starboard doesn't match up.

Dang it. Does anyone know where I can buy another wing?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 05, 2012, 10:32 PM
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ing-ef-16.html

Bummer about your kit. This sounds like an unusual problem.
It will be worth it when you get it squared away...the Phase 3 EF-16 is a fantastic flyer.
Mar 06, 2012, 05:17 AM
Foam addict
try putting the warped part in hot water and gently reshape it.
Mar 06, 2012, 09:14 AM
Oh Yeah!
Pictures would help a lot.
Mar 06, 2012, 11:10 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGTX
http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ing-ef-16.html

Bummer about your kit. This sounds like an unusual problem.
It will be worth it when you get it squared away...the Phase 3 EF-16 is a fantastic flyer.
Thanks for the link. I just ordered a set.

Steve C68 - I don't have a Photobucket (or similar service) account, so I can't post pics. The top surface of the wing is about 1.5 mm lower than the top surface of the fusalage at the wing joint, and it's got a very small amount of antihedral (probably about 2-4 degrees). So while the Portside wing is straight and a thing of beauty, the Starboard wing is too thin and dips down a tiny bit.
Mar 06, 2012, 11:35 AM
No problemo!

To this day, very few EDFs fly as well as that old EF-16. Thin airfoils, full flying tail, only two servos, goes plenty fast on modest power levels...it's just a great all around jet.

Not a bad idea to reinforce the "taileron fairings" with some strips of balsa or carbon...especially if you imagine bigger power systems in your future. It's really the only weak point in a brilliant design.

Let us know how you make out!!
Mar 06, 2012, 01:16 PM
Oh Yeah!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David McAfee
Thanks for the link. I just ordered a set.

Steve C68 - I don't have a Photobucket (or similar service) account, so I can't post pics. The top surface of the wing is about 1.5 mm lower than the top surface of the fusalage at the wing joint, and it's got a very small amount of antihedral (probably about 2-4 degrees). So while the Portside wing is straight and a thing of beauty, the Starboard wing is too thin and dips down a tiny bit.
You can upload pictures directly to RCG via the advanced/additional options menu. Look for the Manage Attachments button. Also Photobucket is worthless. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Try imageshack. It's free and the images don't expire or get knocked off by too much bandwidth.

I'll take a look at mine when I get home tonight to see how the wings look. As I remember I had to sand the foam mounting tab on one of the wings in order to have it match the other.
Mar 06, 2012, 07:06 PM
Oh Yeah!
Just looked at mine. What you should do is sand the top surface of the mounting tab on the Starboard wing. That way when you mate it up to the fuselage the top surface will be closer to the top. Also have you applied the paper reinforcements to the wings yet? You can reshape the wings when you put on the paper.
Mar 06, 2012, 08:51 PM
Classic jets rule
David spend some time reading the HP F-16 Mod thread ...there is a ton of info on this jet in there ...it truly is a great plane and it has had a lot of staying power in the market .you can go mild to wild with it and it is fun to mod up .one has gone 178 mph
Mar 06, 2012, 09:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC68
Just looked at mine. What you should do is sand the top surface of the mounting tab on the Starboard wing. That way when you mate it up to the fuselage the top surface will be closer to the top. Also have you applied the paper reinforcements to the wings yet? You can reshape the wings when you put on the paper.
Actually, in the kit I received, the wings were already covered with paper.
Mar 06, 2012, 09:06 PM
Thread OP
By the way, does anyone know why it's out of stock at Hobby People? And how long that will be the case?
Mar 07, 2012, 12:19 PM
Oh Yeah!
It's probably out of stock because they sell like hot cakes! It has to be the best selling foam EDF ever. And yes it's just that good. I bought two way back when they sold the kits on special for something like $35 each. The kit versions didn't have the paper installed which is probably why one of your wings looks warped. If you pull the paper too much on one side it will bow the wing.
Mar 07, 2012, 02:43 PM
My recent second kit came with the taileron mounts already stiffend with a birch insert. It also had the 5 blade fan and outrunner motor. The kit that came into the lhs to replace the stock was the older 3 blade setup and no reinforcement. Seems like pot luck on which one you get
Mar 07, 2012, 03:24 PM
Oh Yeah!
Mark,

That sounds more like the ARF. The kit comes with no motor/fan/esc.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...r-fan-esc.html
Mar 07, 2012, 04:15 PM
I don't think we get a choice of kit/arf here in the UK. For 90GBP and all you need is an rx, 2 servos and battery it's fantastic.

The difference that the upgraded motor/fan combo makes over the early ones is pretty amazing

Quick Reply