HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2008, 08:00 PM
Joined Jul 2008
659 Posts
Help!
Blaster 2 wing repair!

Sigh everything seems to be going wrong for me recently. I finished my shiny new Blaster 2 and I finally got the weather for flying this morning. It flew beautifully, for about half an hour. I switched to a park slightly farther away because it gets better thermal activity however it's littered with trees and lightpoles. As luck would have it a lightpole got in the way on my landing approach and I couldn't move fast enough to avoid it, I hit the lightpole about 10 feet up with the leading edge of the wing.

The fall wasn't hard enough to damage anything else but the leading edge has some damage, I don't know anything about repairing molded wings so I need to know A) Is this damage repairable and B) how I should go about doing it.

The description and pictures are as follows:

- The spar is solid and in-tact, there is no damage to anywhere else on the wing, it's all localised at the impact point.

- The upper and lower skins have separated along the leading edge over a length of around 15-20cm.

- An area of the top skin at the leading edge about 5cm long is slightly deformed (I think this is the point of actual impact), the rest of the top skin is smooth.

- There are two tears on the top skin at 45 degrees to the leading edge, starting at the leading edge and going back to the spar, the tears are through both glass layers and the foam, though the inside glass layer tear isn't as linear, giving some places of overlap.

- There is one tear and some crumpling/de-lamination of the lower skin around the point of impact.

I'd imagine with the top skin some epoxy and glass doublers along the tear lines would be sufficient, however I'm not sure how to smooth out the bottom skin, without further damaging the top skin there isn't a lot of room for sticking things into the wing. I was thinking I might be able to sneak another layer of glass onto the inside of the bottom skin over the crumple zone and use a small sandbag to help smooth out the skin during cure, but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help!
AndrewBurns is offline Find More Posts by AndrewBurns
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2008, 09:25 PM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,120 Posts
I really hate to see good planes get damaged like this. I saw too many blaster carnage this year and one of them involved me in a midair. there's really no excuse for this plane to be this fragile and that's the only reason I'm not getting one.

check this thread out by Bob McGowan. Very detailed and informative.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...d+dlg+wing+fix

I wonder if there's some really strong leading edge tape available that can be used to at least reduce damage? I'll get a Blaster in that case. I would take the additional weight any day.
jcats is offline Find More Posts by jcats
Old Dec 15, 2008, 11:07 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcats
I really hate to see good planes get damaged like this. I saw too many blaster carnage this year and one of them involved me in a midair. there's really no excuse for this plane to be this fragile and that's the only reason I'm not getting one.

check this thread out by Bob McGowan. Very detailed and informative.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...d+dlg+wing+fix

I wonder if there's some really strong leading edge tape available that can be used to at least reduce damage? I'll get a Blaster in that case. I would take the additional weight any day.
You are right, they are fragile. I am one of the lucky ones, I struck an XP3 a couple of months ago and crushed in about 10" of the leading edge on my Blaster2's right wing. The XP3 went down with the tail boom severed just behind the wing. This was a real accident as the XP3 pilot slipped and his DLG went across the path of 3 other DLG's launching at the same moment. My Blaster2 flew away from the tangle and seemed to fly pretty well. I looked at it after landing and the wing had popped back out ahead of the spar. There was some delamination along the leading edge so I put a long strip of Blenderm tape to hold it together. Since then I have won 2 local sport contests with that same blaster and it was the one I flew at the latest So-cal team event. In summary, they are fragile but if you are careful they perform well enough to make it worthwhile.

Andrew, if you can get the parts back into position, you can use Blenderm tape and careful use of CA to hold it together. My brother has done some amazing work on his Blaster2's using CA and patience.

Very sorry to see that the light pole won in this case.

edit: to change "Depron" to "Blenderm"
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Last edited by cptsnoopy; Dec 16, 2008 at 11:35 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 02:56 AM
Joined Jul 2008
659 Posts
The biggest problem I think is the lower skin, it's a little crumpled and delaminated so it's not smooth as it should be and weaker, the top surface is still strong and the correct profile so it just needs to be glued back down.

I was thinking with the lower surface I can sand some foam down to make a bed for the broken section and laminate some light glass on the inside surface to try and get the skin back into shape and stronger. With that done I could proceed to glue the top skin down and apply glass strips along the tears.

Honestly I think the wing has retained most of its strength anyway, I can't feel a difference between the torsional stiffness of the damaged side vs the good side, I just want to restore the durability (for handling/catching) and the nice smooth profile.
AndrewBurns is offline Find More Posts by AndrewBurns
Old Dec 16, 2008, 10:17 PM
Joined Jan 2008
4,355 Posts
AndrewBurns:

I've seen worse.

You are on the right path: minimum materials, and keep the outside smooth. You can bridge the breaks with glass cloth; and on the inside of the wing, 1/32 balsa sheet makes a nice backing to close the breaks. The tape idea from cptsnoopy is a very good idea, too.

You'd be surprised how much damage can be repaired.

Yours, Greg
glidermang is online now Find More Posts by glidermang
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:16 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
cptsnoopy, what is depron tape & where can I buy it. I've heard of the foam, but not tape.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:32 PM
Where is the lift?
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Nov 2005
6,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuevo
cptsnoopy, what is depron tape & where can I buy it. I've heard of the foam, but not tape.
Thank you nuevo! I was mixing up brands...

It is Blenderm surgical tape, made by 3M.

Appropriate in this case...

now, off to fix that error...!
cptsnoopy is online now Find More Posts by cptsnoopy
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:36 PM
United States, AL, Madison
Joined May 2002
2,272 Posts
thanks for the quick response. Appreciate the help.
nuevo is offline Find More Posts by nuevo
Old Dec 16, 2008, 11:51 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsnoopy
Thank you nuevo! I was mixing up brands...

It is Blenderm surgical tape, made by 3M.

Appropriate in this case...

now, off to fix that error...!
Thats some good stuff! Really good for hinges too!
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Dec 17, 2008, 01:08 AM
Kevin Botherway
New Zealand
Joined Jul 2004
131 Posts
Blaster 2 repair

Hi
I think it was my Blaster 2 jcats hit in a midair at poway they are easly repairable if you want a quick fix dimond tape will do it easily it looks as if your spar is ok other than that very little strength is required for the skins to hold together - on one of mine I had the spar collapse on the throwing side so I repaired the spar and used a piece of mylar top and bottom on the outer suraces with 2 layers of 3/4 once glass (I painted the mylar first) then held in place with tape and added pressre with shaped foam beds -this system on the wing I still launch it around 70m + (full power) hope this helps
Rowdy
rowdy01 is offline Find More Posts by rowdy01
Old Dec 20, 2008, 10:42 AM
Womb Drifter
NC, USA
Joined Dec 2004
1,120 Posts
Oh man, sorry to see your pretty new Blaster cracked up like that.

I feel your pain. (see pic )

I hope you can get her fixed.

You might want to PM Will Newton for some repair advice.

He's a great guy and really good with DLG repairs and has helped me in the past with a boom and wing repair.

After seeing this and others, it seems that hollow moulded wings are pretty easy to break and a PITA to repair, vs. foam core.

Their airfoils are probably truer etc, etc, but I think I'll stay away from the hollow stuff. I don't fly so good. I would surely destroy one within 3 outings.

Phiber Optik is offline Find More Posts by Phiber Optik
Old Jul 21, 2011, 02:38 PM
Joe
United Kingdom, England, London
Joined May 2010
77 Posts
Blaster II wing repair

Sorry for digging up an old thread, and sorry for the double post for those of you who read flyquiet but it seams only UK pilots tend to hang out there and I am curious if anyone else has experience with a similar fix.

I too damaged my Blaster II, but I did mine in some kind of launch failure resulting in the model looping over my head and hitting the ground at launch speed. The result is not pretty. I am going to remould a new pod and boom (using Tabooish moulds hopefully) but I do need to fix the wing.

The main problem, as you can see, is the main spar has snapped Does anyone have any experience fixing such damage? I was planning to tack it together then epoxy lots of carbon tow across the join and finally wrap it with some carbon cloth. I have discovered I have some cold forming plastic which may be useful to hold the spar straight.

(I have read this thread but was hoping to gleam a few more tips before I set to work (also my bits haven't arrived yet so I am stuck reading forums).)
Smallsy is offline Find More Posts by Smallsy
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:10 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
Much bigger but the methods would be the same. The PP was broken through the spar.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=caracho
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Jul 21, 2011, 03:14 PM
Master of the Wind
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Sep 2008
1,151 Posts
This is pretty close to yours.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1298919
G Norsworthy is offline Find More Posts by G Norsworthy
Old Jul 21, 2011, 06:10 PM
France
Joined May 2006
657 Posts
I would line up everything as i can for getting near the original shape , add some foam safe CA ,and even some strip of light glassfiber and epoxy .

Good luck ,if youre not repairing : youre not flying
vulpina is offline Find More Posts by vulpina