Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 13, 2014, 06:24 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,493 Posts
Good luck! It certainly worked for me, for peace of mind I used to have the Taranis call out the RSSI every 5 seconds when climbing ... I have switched this off now
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2014, 04:19 PM
Sweden, Östergötland County, Mantorp
Joined May 2014
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Glover View Post
Good luck! It certainly worked for me, for peace of mind I used to have the Taranis call out the RSSI every 5 seconds when climbing ... I have switched this off now
Yes, this is the way to go. I have no FPV yet mounted so I tested the setup and it really works. No RSSI warnings at all, ( set to 60).

Look at this video, I surely learnt something today:
X8R PCB antenna test flight (1 min 19 sec)

I flew some 480 m away and lost the quad in the sky. The quad is relly small at that distance ;-)

Thank DJI for IOC-mode and Course Lock, it really saved my day.
bohn2fly is offline Find More Posts by bohn2fly
Old Jul 22, 2014, 11:59 AM
Joined May 2014
10 Posts
This from the FrSky forum (from a FrSky rep): "whatever the "v", "L" or 90 degree, it is not a critical figure, but the most important thing is to keep the antennas away from each other to ensure the two antennas oriented on different directions to obtain the best results of the diversity function."
Now my take on that is that I want the antennas separated as far as possible and at an angle to each other.

Can anyone offer or speculate why FrSky made the leads of the PCB antennas so short?
I can buy non-PCB antennas up to 600mm on HobbyKing, but there aren't even replacements for the existing PCB antennas.

Has anyone tried the non-PCB antennas? A set comes with the X6R receiver. I wonder if having the PCB closer to other sources of RF radiation works better than non-PCB further away?

Also, are BOTH antennas receiving and transmitting? Or are they split-function, in which case two different antennas might be better? Their placement advice would indicate they are both doing both jobs.

I find the short leads dictate where I put my receiver which either dictates a long bundle of servo leads (my controller doesn't do SBUS) or it dictates where I put the controller too. But the controller position is dictated by the ridiculously short GPS leads! What is it with these manufacturers and WIRE!?

So the GPS has to be up high, and the receiver down low, but don't run anything past your ESC leads. Hey, no problem.
Hugh_AH is offline Find More Posts by Hugh_AH